The Student Room Group

What will happen in this year's clearing?

From what i heard is we do not access to clearing system this year, is that true?

if it's not, is it true that it will be more difficult to get an offer from clearing (because of the tutoring fee..?)

The reason I have concern on this is because I am not confident to get A*AA or even A*AB

my firm is Warwick (MMaths) and Southampton (MMaths), and they require A*AA and AAB respectively,

so far I have:
C1 - 92
C2 - 98
C3 - (exams in June)
C4 - 90
S1 - 91
S2 - 95

M1 - 95
D1 - 88
NM - 71
NC - (exam in June)
FP1 - 100 :colondollar:
FP2 - (exam in June)
FP3 - (exam in June)

If my calculation is not wrong, I need 93+ in C3 to get an A* in maths and (FP2, FP3, NC) 93+ to get an A* in further maths

Economics:

Paper 1 - 62 (or better, retaken last week)
Paper 2 - 84
Paper 3 - 48 (or better, retake in June)
Paper 4 - (exam in June)

GCSEs: 7A*s+As (including A.Maths) 1B

Hopefully I will get A*A in Maths and Further Maths
However I am so weak in Economics and probably not getting an A or B and wondering WHAT IF i get a lower grade. (I know it's too early to say, but I want to be prepared and not to panic by August :frown::s-smilie:)

Suppose I got A*A*E, is there any chance that Warwick or Southampton still let me in? (how likely it is?)

If they don't, how likely will the good universities (in Maths) would offer me a place? (such as Edinburgh, Manchester, Lancaster, Nottingham, Sheffield, Bath, ect.)

BTW, I applied to Bath, Bristol, Durham, Warwick and Southampton (all MMaths)

THANKS IN ADVANCE :smile: and wish me luck in tmr FP3 exam :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by WKH
From what i heard is we do not access to clearing system this year, is that true?

if it's not, is it true that it will be more difficult to get an offer from clearing (because of the tutoring fee..?)

The reason I have concern on this is because I am not confident to get A*AA or even A*AB

my firm is Warwick (MMaths) and Southampton (MMaths), and they require A*AA and AAB respectively,

so far I have:
C1 - 92
C2 - 98
C3 - (exams in June)
C4 - 90
S1 - 91
S2 - 95

M1 - 95
D1 - 88
NM - 71
NC - (exam in June)
FP1 - 100 :colondollar:
FP2 - (exam in June)
FP3 - (exam in June)

If my calculation is not wrong, I need 93+ in C3 to get an A* in maths and (FP2, FP3, NC) 93+ to get an A* in further maths

Economics:

Paper 1 - 62 (or better, retaken last week)
Paper 2 - 84
Paper 3 - 48 (or better, retake in June)
Paper 4 - (exam in June)

GCSEs: 7A*s+As (including A.Maths) 1B

Hopefully I will get A*A in Maths and Further Maths
However I am so weak in Economics and probably not getting an A or B and wondering WHAT IF i get a lower grade. (I know it's too early to say, but I want to be prepared and not to panic by August :frown::s-smilie:)

Suppose I got A*A*E, is there any chance that Warwick or Southampton still let me in? (how likely it is?)

If they don't, how likely will the good universities (in Maths) would offer me a place? (such as Edinburgh, Manchester, Lancaster, Nottingham, Sheffield, Bath, ect.)

BTW, I applied to Bath, Bristol, Durham, Warwick and Southampton (all MMaths)

THANKS IN ADVANCE :smile: and wish me luck in tmr FP3 exam :s-smilie:

Many of the top universities... for instance Lancaster (where i currently study) do indeed take people through clearing and therefore i wouldn't worry too much... your grade seem really good and so i guess just focus on the positive of your potential and how well you have done so far... tough to be sure of anything i think in terms of the really top marks but just try your best and you honestly can do no more than that... it might be harder with the fees but i can't see why the uni's wouldn't still be looking for the best and your surely high on the list with good grades!
Matt
Reply 2
WKH
OP
Original post by mattatca
Many of the top universities... for instance Lancaster (where i currently study) do indeed take people through clearing and therefore i wouldn't worry too much... your grade seem really good and so i guess just focus on the positive of your potential and how well you have done so far... tough to be sure of anything i think in terms of the really top marks but just try your best and you honestly can do no more than that... it might be harder with the fees but i can't see why the uni's wouldn't still be looking for the best and your surely high on the list with good grades!
Matt

Thank you, it does help me and make feel better now.

and for the clearing, do I need to check it online instantly for an offer? is it "first come first served?

and I mean those who wanted to take a gap year next year "force" to apply for 2011 now and the clearing seems to be more competitive <---- that's what I meant
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by WKH
Thank you, it does help me and make feel better now.

and for the clearing, do I need to check it online instantly for an offer? is it "first come first served?

and I mean those who wanted to take a gap year next year "force" to apply for 2011 now and the clearing seems to be more competitive <---- that's what I meant

If it went down to clearing i think you'd have to go into your place of study and get some help ringing up the unis, and yes i presume it is first come first served... but you can check whether your conditional offers were met online on the day so you could in theory know by the time you went in to get your results.
Matt
Have I got the wrong or out of date understanding about how A* Grades are given for M & FM? If so then hopefully someone will quickly put me right.

My undersatanding is for Maths you have to get 80%+ average across all AS and A2 modules and 90%+ average between C3 and C4. Is that right? If so then you need 90%+, not 93%+ for C4 to get A*.

For Further Maths, I believe it is 80%+ overall plus a 90%+ average against your best three A2 modules. So, given you have 95% for S2 in your pocket. Then between the best two of NC, FP2 and FP3 would you not need an 88% average, not 93%+ across all three?

I know your main concern is Ecomomics and best of luck, however if I am right about the above, maybe that gives a little more comfort.

Not allowed to converse about it yet (ie don't repond :smile:), but hope the FP3 went well.
Reply 5
Are you saying clearing won't exist at all or that it will be empty due to an influx of people trying to beat the fee increase? I'm fairy sure the first is false and the second is partly true. There was probably an disproportionately large increase in applications this year due to fee increases next year. If there was a big spike clearing would be emptier and more competitive but there will still be courses on there.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
WKH
OP
Original post by mattatca
If it went down to clearing i think you'd have to go into your place of study and get some help ringing up the unis, and yes i presume it is first come first served... but you can check whether your conditional offers were met online on the day so you could in theory know by the time you went in to get your results.
Matt

So literally I will be competing against time right :frown:?

Original post by A Confused Parent
Have I got the wrong or out of date understanding about how A* Grades are given for M &amp; FM? If so then hopefully someone will quickly put me right.

My undersatanding is for Maths you have to get 80%+ average across all AS and A2 modules and 90%+ average between C3 and C4. Is that right? If so then you need 90%+, not 93%+ for C4 to get A*.

For Further Maths, I believe it is 80%+ overall plus a 90%+ average against your best three A2 modules. So, given you have 95% for S2 in your pocket. Then between the best two of NC, FP2 and FP3 would you not need an 88% average, not 93%+ across all three?

I know your main concern is Ecomomics and best of luck, however if I am right about the above, maybe that gives a little more comfort.

Not allowed to converse about it yet (ie don't repond :smile:), but hope the FP3 went well.

sorry I didn't mention I only got 18 or 21 marks on my C3 course work.

I don't know... I screwed up FP3 this morning :cry:

Original post by alwaysme
Are you saying clearing won't exist at all or that it will be empty due to an influx of people trying to beat the fee increase? I'm fairy sure the first is false and the second is partly true. There was probably an disproportionately large increase in applications this year due to fee increases next year. If there was a big spike clearing would be emptier and more competitive but there will still be courses on there.

Not sure about the first one, that's what my tutor told me.

Life is full of challenges huh... :cry2:

Thank you YOU ALL

all the best with your examsssssssssssssss

Quick Reply

Latest