Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE Geography 13th June post exam discussion

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I took this paper a year early (year 10) and was sooo pleased to get an A* (150/150!) This year I'm studying The Development Gap, Population and Tourism
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well done to you but was it necessary to post that? I did the whole GCSE a year early and am very pleased with my result but I'm not going to tell the world what I got as I really don't like bragging and find it an ugly trait of human nature!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was just saying what my results were, like everyone else was in this thread. I guess I was just pretty chuffed considering I never do that well in exams. Thanks for making me feel awful now.
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chriss-cross)
    I was just saying what my results were, like everyone else was in this thread. I guess I was just pretty chuffed considering I never do that well in exams. Thanks for making me feel awful now.
    You should be proud! You did well and have every right to talk about your results, especially in a thread called "Post exam discussion" :rolleyes:.
    Just ignore him/her.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I didn't want to upset you, I was just giving my opinion which is allowed! Sorry if it offended you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Some of the faults i noticed:

1) Rocks, Resources and Scenery:
    -Asked to draw a map of quarry for 4 marks
    -Asked about the formation of an escarpment for 8 marks (personally i had no problem with this however during post exam discussion i found many were thrown by this question as the specification and the textbook doesn’t include information on it!)

2) Water on Land:
    -Asked to describe how floodplains are formed (again, personally i had no problem with this however during post exam discussion i found many were thrown by this question as the specification and the textbook doesn’t include information on it!)

3) Coastal zone:
    -The map questions on measuring and drawing
    -The poorly phrased last question (8 marks)

Overall i found there was a lack of case studies and information asked.

In my honest opinion, this exam was a complete shambles and i would urge you to complain to your schools to inform AQA of this if you experienced the same situation. Believe me when i say that when schools complain of an unfair exam, it gets noticed.

The reason i promote this is because the paper gives the examiner such an inaccurate portrayal of your true skill ability by testing on SO little of the knowledge required, as well as asking beyond the specification on numerous occasions.

I also truly believe that AQA have run out of questions to ask. Reviewing past papers i have seen how they do not/rarely repeat a question which means that each year they limit their asking capabilities and start asking bull**** questions such as 'draw a map of a quarry you have studied' for 4marks or measure this line. This is also evident when comparing last years paper with this years on. We received last year’s paper in our mock exams to which i received just short of full marks leading me to believe the exam format and style would be the same, however it felt like a different exam board two days ago. Being predicted (and i personally believed i would achieve this) a top A*, i feel unfairly cheated by AQA and i hope this is not the case for you but if it is i demand you take action.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 15, 2012
New on TSR

So how did you do?

Come into the GCSE forum to share your grades

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.