The Student Room Group

'Ibuprofen' - how do you pronounce it?

Scroll to see replies

Ib-you-pro-fen
Eye-buh-pro-fen. With the stress on the 'eye' rather than the 'buh'.

I genuinely didn't realise so many people pronounced it differently. I've heard eye-boo-pro-fen and eye-byou-pro-fen a few times but none of these others people are talking about.
Reply 82
Everyone in my family says it like your customer. Confused me for ages. Though,They are all old and from India, so it might have to do with one of those two factors... :smile:
Reply 83
Original post by Joinedup
It's been the gift that keeps on giving and I for one hope with all my heart it is never locked.

---

Imagine the humorous misunderstandings that may have ensued had your customer asked for this product on that fateful day all those years ago.

brufen.PNG

Ha! I can but imagine...

If you search "how to pronounce ibuprofen" in Google this thread is the second result. I've definitely achieved something here. A whole new generation pronouncing Ibuprofen correctly... just have to sit back and wait for the OBE now.
Original post by scriggy
I work in a shop, and a few days ago a lad came in and asked for some Ibuprofen. The conversation went a little like this...

Him: Can I have some Ibroofen please?
Me: What, sorry?
Him: Ibroofen.
Me: :eyeball:
Him: Ibroofen, y'know... tablets.
Me: Oh, you mean I-be-pro-fen?
Him: No... :eyeball:
Me: *grabs Ibuprofen* These?
Him: Yeah.
Me: :colonhash:

Turns out that 'Ibroofen' is a pretty common pronunciation of the word, although it strikes me as being totally wrong. It's not spelled that way at all.

The online dictionary advises: "ahy-byoo-proh-fen," which has us both wrong, but me significantly closer. He took a whole syllable out the word ffs.

So, how do you pronounce it? 'I-be-pro-fen,' 'Ibroofen,' or something even more crazy?

I pronounce it as: 'eye-byoo-pro-fen'. Pharmacy student checking in here :wink:

The 'ibu' part of ibuprofen refers to a functional group within the ibuprofen molecule known as 'isobutyl', and that's pronounced as 'eye-zo-byoo-thai-l'. Hence why I pronounce it with a 'byoo'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 85
A friend calls it ibru-fef-en and she won't have it when I pronounce it ibu-pro-fen.
Ibru-fen is really common. No idea why its not even spelt that way.
Isobutylphenylpropanoic acid! :fuhrer:
Original post by MaseratiJay
I-bru-pro-fen

Edit: I know it is 'bu' but that does not roll off my tongue easy so I don't bother with that..if you say it quick enough no one will notice :wink:

Lol same here
Reply 88
Well actually it's not. And if you can actually read you would see that there is no E in it so how could it be I-be-pro-fen? It is actually medically pronounces I-byoo-pro-fen (the yoo sound in it because of the letter U not an E)
Reply 89
Was starting to get worried this thread would never be revived again.
eye boo pro fen

aka nurofen?
I say it like Eye - Bro - Proof - Fen ... don't ask me why when there's no 'R' or 'O' after the b, but I'm awkward
Iy bu proof en
Reply 93
Original post by scriggy
Ha! I can but imagine...

If you search "how to pronounce ibuprofen" in Google this thread is the second result. I've definitely achieved something here. A whole new generation pronouncing Ibuprofen correctly... just have to sit back and wait for the OBE now.

Top result now. :biggrin:

Welcome to the internets leading discussion on Ibuprofen pronunciation everyone.
Eye-bruh-pro-fen. Heard people pronounce it eye-bruf-en, though.
(edited 8 years ago)
I say eye-byoo-pro-fen

although sometimes fen sounds like fun when I say it
Well, this thread might be more than 4 years old, but I still feel the issue hasn't been resolved. None of the posters have indicated which syllabled should be stressed.

So is it eye-byoo-pro-fen?
or
eye-byoo-pro-fen?

I've heard both.
Original post by chazwomaq
Well, this thread might be more than 4 years old, but I still feel the issue hasn't been resolved. None of the posters have indicated which syllabled should be stressed.

So is it eye-byoo-pro-fen?
or
eye-byoo-pro-fen?

I've heard both.

I stress the 'pro' :redface:
Many years ago after getting smashed by another motorcyclist who worked for a certain motorcycle magazine riding THEIR test bike simply refused to take responsibility (all I wanted is the actual damaged parts and equiptment replaced ...even with good used and not a dine extra) So against what I what ever do otherwise I hired me a shyster lawyer who sent me to his shyster doctor ...a man from India. Well he many hundred dollars of nothing because settlements at that time were based on 3X medical bills etc. Well I was banged up good but not broken so I asked for something for pain and he says "here take these EyeBoooferen "...and I am like "what is THAT? Indian opiates??? I mean I knew my drugs so I had him repeat it several times and FINALLY somehow I realized he was just shoving high mg dose of what I amd my family have always called Eye-BEE-PRofen...but ever since then it has bothered me (on and off) what is really RIGHT? I am persuaded now that it is Eye-BEW-Profin Bew like a ghost saying "boo" And yes I made a bunch of money for my pain AND my bike was totaled due to labor cost (that I would have done FREE) and all my riding gear was reimbursed at full brand new price ...I bought my bike from insurance company for like nothing, patched it enough to be safe and sold it easily for like $2k ...with all the money I got I went to motorcyle shop and bought a brand new limited edition 750 WAY nicer than what I had had....Hey I TRIED to be a nice a guy...I really did and PS the Ibooprofen did not cut it for me so he had to cough up some codiene at least ....the guy did not even write prescriptions, he dispensed from his desk drawers ....not even totally sure he was a real licensed dr...lol
Reply 99
Eye-buh-pro-fen

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest