The Student Room Group

'Ibuprofen' - how do you pronounce it?

I work in a shop, and a few days ago a lad came in and asked for some Ibuprofen. The conversation went a little like this...

Him: Can I have some Ibroofen please?
Me: What, sorry?
Him: Ibroofen.
Me: :eyeball:
Him: Ibroofen, y'know... tablets.
Me: Oh, you mean I-be-pro-fen?
Him: No... :eyeball:
Me: *grabs Ibuprofen* These?
Him: Yeah.
Me: :colonhash:

Turns out that 'Ibroofen' is a pretty common pronunciation of the word, although it strikes me as being totally wrong. It's not spelled that way at all.

The online dictionary advises: "ahy-byoo-proh-fen," which has us both wrong, but me significantly closer. He took a whole syllable out the word ffs.

So, how do you pronounce it? 'I-be-pro-fen,' 'Ibroofen,' or something even more crazy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I kinda change how I say it lol. I say how you've spelt it phonetically and also how you say it, but I've never heard 'Ibroofen'!
Reply 2
I-bu- prof- en or more just brofen/ vitamin I :smile:
I-byou-pro-fen
Eye-bew-pro-fen
I B PRO FEN? Same as you
Reply 6
Eye-be-pro-fen. Sometimes eye-bew-pro-fen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Ive always said i-ro-bru-fen.
oops :|
Original post by scriggy
I work in a shop, and a few days ago a lad came in and asked for some Ibuprofen. The conversation went a little like this...

Him: Can I have some Ibroofen please?
Me: What, sorry?
Him: Ibroofen.
Me: :eyeball:
Him: Ibroofen, y'know... tablets.
Me: Oh, you mean I-be-pro-fen?
Him: No... :eyeball:
Me: *grabs Ibuprofen* These?
Him: Yeah.
Me: :colonhash:

Turns out that 'Ibroofen' is a pretty common pronunciation of the word, although it strikes me as being totally wrong. It's not spelled that way at all.

The online dictionary advises: "ahy-byoo-proh-fen," which has us both wrong, but me significantly closer. He took a whole syllable out the word ffs.

So, how do you pronounce it? 'I-be-pro-fen,' 'Ibroofen,' or something even more crazy?

I-be-pro-fen is the correct pronunciation , anyone who says otherwise needs to learn how to read.
Reply 9
eye-boo-profen or eye-bew-profen.

Depends on my mood!
My mother just calls it a Nurofen lols
Hahahahaha, this is great xD
Reply 12
I call it

eye-brew-pro-fen for everyone else/pharmacist or profen if I'm taking to my nursing friends

EDIT:
Have a box in the cupboard and I have been pronouncing it wrong for years it seems.I honestly thought they were called

IBRUPROFEN

but no they are not *hangs head in shame*.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 13
eye-boo-proe-fen
I-bu-pro-fen

I have always wondered if I was pronouncing it correctly or not.
Reply 15
It's eye-bew-pro-fen because the bu- part comes from butyl in iso-butyl-propanoic-phenolic acid which is pronounced bewtyl.
(edited 11 years ago)
Seeing as I'm applying to study for Pharmacy this year at uni, I'll kindly chip in with my two cents, I would pronounce it as

I-boo-pro-fen
Reply 17
Definitely eye-byoo-pro-fen.

Wirral (B. Pharm.)
Eye-Bi-Pro-Fen :pierre:
Eye-byoo-pro-fen. That's how most people I know say it.

Quick Reply

Latest