The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by georgeflynn
this year i did English Lit, History, Geography and Psychology

overall, my gcse's weren't great - ABBBBBBCCCCC

history gcse though got an A, english lit C, geography B and didn't do psycholoy at gcse

i would advise anyone who is thinking of doing 5 - it's better to have 4 really good AS levels than 5 average A levels. you honestly do not need 5.

a typical offer from a uni for example would be AAB (lets just say) at A2. you only need 4 AS and 3 A2 really

what are you interested in doing Hdizzle at AS

Most people taking five here have a significant amount of A*'s at GCSE. You are finding your subjects time consuming as they are essay based and require a lot of time.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 301
this year i did English Lit, History, Geography and Psychology

overall, my gcse's weren't great - ABBBBBBCCCCC

history gcse though got an A, english lit C, geography B and didn't do psycholoy at gcse

i would advise anyone who is thinking of doing 5 - it's better to have 4 really good AS levels than 5 average A levels. you honestly do not need 5.

a typical offer from a uni for example would be AAB (lets just say) at A2. you only need 4 AS and 3 A2 really

what are you interested in doing Hdizzle at AS

cool combo

i intend to do
history, maths, biology and chemistry

i'm not doing 5 i'll just have 5 because i done arabic AS in yr 10. many people have said the same it's 'quality not quantity'

hopefully if i get BBB [hopefully wont go up] as required by sheffield i'd go on to study to be an orthoptist
Original post by gravitationalpull
Some of those subjects are black listed by the way. I know Accountancy and Applied Business are. Swap them for Maths and English instead. My opinion.

how can accountancy be blacklisted, when i want to become an accountant?
Reply 303
Original post by AspiringDoctor
Haha :tongue: I'm just going to see which I do better at GCSE I suppose... if I come out with the same grade then... well, I really don't know :biggrin:
What are you taking?

Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Psychology, though i'm only taking psychology because it intrests me, although from what i've seen posted earlier i can just self teach it and privately enter the exam so not sure anymore :s-smilie:
Original post by fletchdd02
Why 5? Further maths is not accepted as an A level for medicine when maths is there. Is it just a personal interest?

It can't be that bad, doesn't seem that bad to me!

Yeah mine are going okay thanks, just hoping 5A*s but it's not the end of the world if I don't get them :smile:

I'm fairly good at Maths, and I've already done 2 out of the 6 modules for Maths, do I think I might as well, And it's not accepted in the offers but they still do consider it when giving offers.

And if I get 6A*s that's below average for Cambridge :/
Reply 305
Do you needs biology, chemistry, physics and maths for vet school?
Reply 306
Mathematics, English Literature, Physics and Economics.

What's with all the Further Maths liars? I bet half of you that say you are aren't even going to do it.
Reply 307
Original post by jamespaton

they see it as a "vocational" subject not to be taken seriously I suppose.
they really look for solid A-Levels now. it's stupid I know. but it's the way they role I'm afraid.

Take Maths. Accountancy will be taught to you in University. My cousin went on to become a Accountant - he was advised not to take it as an A-Level. He is currently studying at UCL
Original post by Inverse
Mathematics, English Literature, Physics and Economics.

What's with all the Further Maths liars? I bet half of you that say you are aren't even going to do it.

Why would you say that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mr Young
they see it as a "vocational" subject not to be taken seriously I suppose.
they really look for solid A-Levels now. it's stupid I know. but it's the way they role I'm afraid.

I understand applied business is, but that's just a subject to fall back on, and one i will drop for A2.
But i seriously don't understand that if i want to go straight into an accountable firm after college, why it wouldn't be necessary to take it as an alevel? :s-smilie:
Most people taking five here have a significant amount of A*'s at GCSE. You are finding your time consuming as they are essay based and require a lot of time.

perhaps, however the majority of a levels require a lot of time
perhaps, however the majority of a levels require a lot of time

Yes for most people. For some they seem 'ok' depending on their natural skill and intelligence. imo these people should be trying to take 5 if they really want to but it is by no means a must.
Reply 313
Original post by Sausage1

you don't need physics, however the other three are very widely accepted as good subjects for vet school
Reply 314
Original post by Sausage1

Why would you need chemistry or physics to be a vet? I don't understand. It's like taking Biology A level and then going to uni to do chemical engineering? Pointless?
Reply 315
I don't understand why it isn't accepted. It's probably because there isn't that much Maths involved in Medicine :s-smilie:

Probably so that you offer a wider variety of subjects, instead of half being maths based. There is quite a lot of maths used in medicine, the university stages anyway.
History, Government & Politics, Law & Religious Studies
Reply 317
I understand applied business is, but that's just a subject to fall back on, and one i will drop for A2.
But i seriously don't understand that if i want to go straight into an accountable firm after college, why it wouldn't be necessary to take it as an alevel? :s-smilie:

if you don't want to go to uni and straight into a firm I guess it would be quite practical as it shows you have knowledge etc.

But if you are thinking of going to a good uni within russel group then change it to maths. it will get taught to you in uni with a much better understanding.
Original post by Inverse
Why would you need chemistry or physics to be a vet? I don't understand. It's like taking Biology A level and then going to uni to do chemical engineering? Pointless?

Most Unis don't allow people to do Medicine without Chemistry. Biology is Applied Chemistry so you need to learn a fair bit of it to be a qualified doctor/surgeon etc.
Yes for most people. For some they seem 'ok' depending on their natural skill and intelligence. imo these people should be trying to take 5 if they really want to but it is by no means a must.

hmm i agree, an extra a level is a way of seperating the best from the best but is not a necessity as you say

Quick Reply

Latest