The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by It's Jo :)
That's a really interesting combination but I think it's very appropriate for what you want to do :smile:. I know what you mean about Latin though, I'm taking it next year, love it!

Haha, eyah, a few people say it's a funny mix but it keeps things open both ways, but without being too open, if you get me.
I'm sure Art will be a good one as I'll have a substantial portfolio then, which is apparently becoming more sought after, particularly in architecture. I also love graphic design, and would love to do this in the future, although maybe not as a full time career. Not sure really :P

Yeah, Latin's grown on me a lot, it's quite strange, I think although i found it soo tedious at times, now I know the end is so nigh (9 days *sob*) I'm starting to miss it already. Even my latin teacher seemed surprised I wasn't taking it, saying he always saw me as a more 'literary type', expecting me to take english lit as well. Seems strange how a couple of years ago I'd have been shocked to see myself dropping english :/ Sounds odd, but when there's a wide range of subjects that you really enjoy, making the choice to ditch them is so hard! Many of my mates are quite comfortable with their options though as they have more particular interests I guess.

Ah well, gotta just plough on with it all, here's hoping the next two years aren't too hellish! :L
Reply 321
Original post by Inverse
Why would you need chemistry or physics to be a vet? I don't understand. It's like taking Biology A level and then going to uni to do chemical engineering? Pointless?

That's like saying why do you need Chemistry to be a doctor?

Chemistry is the base of all biology, physics is the base of chemistry and maths is the base of physics!
I'm guessing most people on this thread are moderately obsessed with their grades and getting into oxbridge. Just so you know, people with straight A*s can get rejected outright; and on average about 1/5 oxbridge applicants are successful. So please don't get your heart set on it so early on like my cousin did; the people you would be up against would be no worse than you, because after around 4 A*s it begins to make no difference. Unless your applying to medicine. But that can be even harder than getting into some oxbridge courses...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 323
Original post by Bulbasaur
I'm guessing most people on this thread are moderately obsessed with their grades and getting into oxbridge. Just so you know, people with straight A*s can get rejected outright; and on average about 1/5 oxbridge applicants are successful. So please don't get your heart set on it so early on like my cousin did; the people you would be up against would be no worse than you, because after around 4 A*s it begins to make no difference.

liking the way you put it straight haha!
Oxbridge is a mile away from me. I'm trying for KCL or Nott.
they concentrate on getting grades but not on extra-cirruculur activities as well. they can get all the A*'s they want, but if there's someone up against them who belong to a sports team such as rowing/tennis etc, with the same grades, the more rounded person will get in.
Original post by Mr Young
if you don't want to go to uni and straight into a firm I guess it would be quite practical as it shows you have knowledge etc.

But if you are thinking of going to a good uni within russel group then change it to maths. it will get taught to you in uni with a much better understanding.

I suppose if i drop business, then i'll have them both?
Maths
Law
Accountancy
Economics.

is that a better mix?
Reply 325
Original post by fletchdd02
That's like saying why do you need Chemistry to be a doctor?

Chemistry is the base of all biology, physics is the base of chemistry and maths is the base of physics!

purity.png
Original post by jamespaton
Maths
Law
Accountancy
Economics.

is that a better mix?

Yup that looks a bit better. :biggrin:
Original post by danb_nhkn
purity.png

The ultra-famous purity diagram.
Reply 328
Original post by danb_nhkn
purity.png

LMFAO :biggrin:
Reply 329
Original post by jamespaton
Maths
Law
Accountancy
Economics.

is that a better mix?

you have the maths and economics which is good. if you are so intent on doing accountancy, drop Law as that is "kind of blacklisted" as well. I mean, it isn't hated, but it frowned upon by uni's. keep the accountancy and maybe instead of law do english? history? maybe a science? psychology?

I may seem like a pain in the arse telling you these things but unis are looking at the best of the best in terms of a level subjects+grades. if you want to keep law, then just try and aim for that shining A*!
Reply 330
Why would you need chemistry or physics to be a vet? I don't understand. It's like taking Biology A level and then going to uni to do chemical engineering? Pointless?

Chemistry is essential. I've heard of some unis even not minding if you don't have bio, so long as you have chem.

Biology, Chemistry, and Physics or Maths, is what I've heard to be good options for veterinary, as I'm looking into it myself. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. BRICKING IT!
English Lit, History, Philosophy & Ethics and either Biology or Chemistry. My sig keeps changing to reflect my indecision over the latter two!!

Also: A TS-Eliot :coma: based extended project, General Studies :angry: and most likely either self-taught AS French or finishing GCSE Latin.
liking the way you put it straight haha!
Oxbridge is a mile away from me. I'm trying for KCL or Nott.
they concentrate on getting grades but not on extra-cirruculur activities as well. they can get all the A*'s they want, but if there's someone up against them who belong to a sports team such as rowing/tennis etc, with the same grades, the more rounded person will get in.

Exactly. Especially the bit in bold. Although it doesn't necessarily need to be related to sports, obviously a lot of people just simply don't have a knack, or an interest in it. It could be any kind of extra-curricular activity. For example, there's also 'youth parliaments' where you can get elected by people from schools in your local area; and it's a really good way of getting involved in debate and things like that. Those kinds of skills are essential, especially if you want to study at oxbridge.

I wish I got involved in that; I will try to do so next year. Not in order to get to oxbridge, but if I ever applied it would help, just as it would applying to any university. But it also develops skills that you could use anywhere in life.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 334
im doing Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Philosophy and Ethics.....this sound okay for a career in veterinary medicine or chemistry?
Original post by kasiasunshine
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics. BRICKING IT!

Yes! Same haha :biggrin:
Thinking of picking Maths, Bio, Further Maths and either Chemistry or physics (not sure which one to do, any advice is welcomed)
you have the maths and economics which is good. if you are so intent on doing accountancy, drop Law as that is "kind of blacklisted" as well. I mean, it isn't hated, but it frowned upon by uni's. keep the accountancy and maybe instead of law do english? history? maybe a science? psychology?

I may seem like a pain in the arse telling you these things but unis are looking at the best of the best in terms of a level subjects+grades. if you want to keep law, then just try and aim for that shining A*!

There is not a chance in hell i'm taking a science, after the 3 excruciating years of science i've endured at my godforsaken hell hole of a school, haha. :P
i was thinking of dropping law for AS, so that'd probably be a good idea?
And also, places at Uni's are going to be greater than ever for our year, as i can't see many people paying £9k a year!
Reply 338
Biology, Chemistry, English lang and Psychology.Maybe Spansih outside of school
Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Psychology.

Quick Reply

Latest