The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Claree
I'm doing music AS this year, along with further maths AS (already done A level maths) and A2 French.

In sixth form I'm going to do Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Russian (and Music A2 and additional further maths). :smile: So I'll be busy!

Oooh music! :heart:
What instrument do you play?
Reply 861
Original post by Heptapus
Oooh music! :heart:
What instrument do you play?

Violin :heart:, viola, piano and I'm now also learning organ.
Original post by Claree
Violin :heart:, viola, piano and I'm now also learning organ.

Ooh that is cool!
French, English Lit, History and Geography :biggrin:
Reply 864
most likely...
Maths Stats, Chemistry, Biology and economics
Reply 865
almost definitely.

French, Biology, Maths, Chemistry...

good choices for medicine? :smile:
Parent here, just to warn you :smile:

My oldest (Yr 13 now) did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Music and History at AS, dropped History at A2, hoping to do Maths at Warwick
Younger (Currently Yr 11) is planning Maths, Further Maths, Physics, English Lit and Moving Image Arts, planning to do Computer Science or Games Programming in the US.

I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Spanish and General Studies back in 1988, did Engineering at Uni then Maths with the OU.

Hmm, think I'm seeing a theme here ....
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
Parent here, just to warn you :smile:

My oldest (Yr 13 now) did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Music and History at AS, dropped History at A2, hoping to do Maths at Warwick
Younger (Currently Yr 11) is planning Maths, Further Maths, Physics, English Lit and Moving Image Arts, planning to do Computer Science or Games Programming in the US.

I did Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Spanish and General Studies back in 1988, did Engineering at Uni then Maths with the OU.

Hmm, think I'm seeing a theme here ....

Hey, sorry to be really obscure, but I am literally doing what your eldest is studying now (but not history (and I am in year 12). Out of interest, what does your eldest play as an instrument? :smile:
I also want do study Computer Science at university. :tongue:
Original post by Heptapus
Hey, sorry to be really obscure, but I am literally doing what your eldest is studying now (but not history (and I am in year 12). Out of interest, what does your eldest play as an instrument? :smile:
I also want do study Computer Science at university. :tongue:

Eldest plays guitar in all forms, electric, acoustic and a bit of flamenco. Mostly rock, prog and metal for electric. He also plays the clarinet under duress :smile:

Youngest is a drummer who did Music, Drama and Performing Arts for GCSE but unfortunately can't fit them into what he needs for Uni for A levels, but might end up doing PA anyway 'cause he's involved in just about every performance as the token drummer!

Good luck with the A levels. Where do you want to go for CompSci?
Original post by KittyKattyKaity
Eldest plays guitar in all forms, electric, acoustic and a bit of flamenco. Mostly rock, prog and metal for electric. He also plays the clarinet under duress :smile:

Youngest is a drummer who did Music, Drama and Performing Arts for GCSE but unfortunately can't fit them into what he needs for Uni for A levels, but might end up doing PA anyway 'cause he's involved in just about every performance as the token drummer!

Good luck with the A levels. Where do you want to go for CompSci?

That is really great, my family are not very musical in comparison to yours.

Thank you. I am not really sure at the moment, but I think I may look into Bristol, Bath, Birmingham, York and maybe Oxbridge. :-)
Probably Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and English Lit. I'm no where near time to chose but I like to plan ahead, can anyone tell me if these would be good for Medicine?
Reply 871
English Lit, Early History, Religious Studies & Politics.

Providing I don't suddenly bomb out when I get GCSE results on results day!
Reply 872
Original post by dinrah04
Probably Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and English Lit. I'm no where near time to chose but I like to plan ahead, can anyone tell me if these would be good for Medicine?

Yes these are good, but id take something else rather than Psychology as unis say thats is an easy subject, maybe Maths/Physics or a Humanities subject? :smile:

im taking Biology,Chemistry,Physics and History and im hoping to study Medicine :smile:
Original post by pb1596
Yes these are good, but id take something else rather than Psychology as unis say thats is an easy subject, maybe Maths/Physics or a Humanities subject? :smile:

im taking Biology,Chemistry,Physics and History and im hoping to study Medicine :smile:

I was thinking of Physics but it's my worse science unless it's Astronomy, I really hate Maths tbh. I have a long time to go before I chose, I guess.
Reply 874
French, German, Economics, Maths, Further Maths :smile:
I want to take:
History, Economics, English Literature and Spanish.
If I change some courses at the college interview, I hope I can take:
History, French, English Literature and Maths.
Might consider doing a 5th subject, I would like to do either Spanish or Further Maths :biggrin:
I want to English, Government and Politics, History and Biology. Is anyone doing an extended project?

Trying to decide on whether to choose English Literature or English Lit and Lang.

Also are you at a disadvantage if you do 3 A Levels but pick up the extended project in A2?
Reply 878
I'm doing AS Maths atm, however I am only in YEar 11. Therefore I have an extra year. For me I will complete the AS course by summer, then in Year 12, I will be doing: Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and History. Then in Year 13 I will drop the History after completing the AS and proceed finishing the A2 Maths.

In the end I will have 6 AS qulification and 5 A-Levels. However I might drop Biology as well depending on work load. But right now I am confident in completing all 5 courses as I have already started self-teaching myself Organic Chemistry, FP1, M1 and Atoms and their structures
Maths, English Literature, Economics and Philosophy:h:

Quick Reply

Latest