The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dalek1099
Why does English Lit=Journalism,I thought English Language would be a lot more suitable but universities don't seem to like English Language.

It alldepens on which University, and which course. Also to answer your question most universities that do Journalism don't specify any A-Levels, but humanities/essay based subjects help. (This include, but are not limited to: English Literature, English Language, English combined, History, Media and Film studies.)
Original post by Dominicque
It alldepens on which University, and which course. Also to answer your question most universities that do Journalism don't specify any A-Levels, but humanities/essay based subjects help. (This include, but are not limited to: English Literature, English Language, English combined, History, Media and Film studies.)

English Language,media and Film Studies are normally black listed by most universities though and I still don't know why there is so much preference over Literature and why Language is hated so much by so many universities.
English Language,media and Film Studies are normally black listed by most universities though and I still don't know why there is so much preference over Literature and why Language is hated so much by so many universities.

Literature carries a lot more value than Language:s-smilie:
I personally chose Literature for A-Level mostly because I want to become a journalist:smile:
What do you want to become, and what A-Levels have you chosen?:smile:
Either;
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths.
Or
Biology, Chemistry, History.
I'm definitely taking:

Maths
Further Maths
Economics

Every (decent) college which is a reasonable distance from where I live requires you to take FM as a 4th subject only, so I have to take one more.

I'm considering Physics, but any other good suggestions would be appreciated.
History, French, Religious Studies and English Literature.
Couldn't face taking maths, it's awful at GCSE as it is and I honestly can't see why people take it unless they want to become a doctor or really enjoy maths as they will never use anything taught at A-level in real life.
Original post by riley.joe96
Couldn't face taking maths, it's awful at GCSE as it is and I honestly can't see why people take it unless they want to become a doctor or really enjoy maths as they will never use anything taught at A-level in real life.

Omg I'm taking the exact same a levels as you and I hate maths too! Lol i've actually never come across a person who's taking the same a levels as me, not even at my school.
Reply 1027
Why does English Lit=Journalism,I thought English Language would be a lot more suitable but universities don't seem to like English Language.

I wanted to be a journalist in year 9, and my teachers said anything to do with interpreting sources would help. My teachers said that it would be good to have subjects that improve analytical skills (English Lit. and History) or something to do with current affairs (languages, geography, RE). English Langauge doesn't show you can use sources well, instead improving creative writing skills etc., meaning it's less useful in this field.
Reply 1028
Maths
Further maths
Computing
Physics

I'm still not too sure about physics, might take Economics.
Original post by riley.joe96

Being a doctor is hardly the most maths-based profession... there are many professions where that level of maths is useful, e.g. bankers, engineers. Maths doesn't exist just for the sake of it, you know, there are tons of useful applications for it.

I'm not saying you should take Maths, if you don't enjoy it there's really no point in it, but you should realize that there are many (high paying) jobs out there that do actually require an advanced level of mathematical ability.
Original post by justanotherindigo
Literature carries a lot more value than Language:s-smilie:
I personally chose Literature for A-Level mostly because I want to become a journalist:smile:
What do you want to become, and what A-Levels have you chosen?:smile:

I was thinking of becoming an account/something maths related but not really sure and am thinking of choosing both Maths,Further Maths(definitely) and probably Geography and for the last place I'm not entirely sure maybe Religious Studies or Economics because I want to study Maths and Philosophy at University?
I was thinking of becoming an account/something maths related but not really sure and am thinking of choosing both Maths,Further Maths(definitely) and probably Geography and for the last place I'm not entirely sure maybe Religious Studies or Economics because I want to study Maths and Philosophy at University?

Why don't you do RE , Maths and then any other two f your choice. ICT, a language?
Original post by GreenLantern1
Why don't you do RE , Maths and then any other two f your choice. ICT, a language?

I should do maths and further maths but definitely not languages or ICT.I may study RE but am unsure.
I should do maths and further maths but definitely not languages or ICT.I may study RE but am unsure.

Huhh no one can ever get through to this kid why do i try :facepalm: I just wanna make a difference in this world, but with this guy! IMPOSSIBLE!!
History, Latin, Greek, Music and Maths

Greek is offered outside the regular school day, so I'll be giving up my "spare" time to study it, but I'm doing that already with GCSE Greek. This is why I'm able to take on five subjects.

Well, you love maths! That's good!:cool:
Religious Studies and Economics are both really good aswell:smile:
Reply 1036
I'm thinking of going for an accountant or maths related job hopefully.
So I have chosen to study Maths, Economics, ICT and sociology.
Do you think these will be okay?
Im starting my GSCE's this year and I've already given some thought on my A-Levels

History
English Literature
Economics
Law

I've starting learning Russian - so may attempt to get an OCR Asset Language Qualification.

I'm also giving serious thought to other subjects-

Physics
Physcology
Religous Studies
Government & Politics
Geography

In case I change my mind.
Reply 1038
i'm in year 10 and my thoughts so far are either

Maths, Further maths, Physics, History
Maths, Further maths, Physics, Chemistry
i'm doing: