The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Geography, Maths, Business and English Literature
Thinking of doing Law or Business with Law at uni :wink:
Reply 1041
Chem
Bio
Philosophy and ethics
Maths

Anyone else doing the same?
Reply 1042
How is everyone deciding on their a levels?
Is it done on how well you did on it in GCSE? Or how much you enjoy your subject during GCSE?
Or is depending on a university course in the future?

I'm having trouble because I didnt particularly enjoy any subject during GCSE that much and I heard subjects change lots at a level level so I'm not sure on how to pick my a levels.
My son is picking his on a mixture. He wants to be a computer games designer so that means a comp sci degree or related. For that universities prefer maths based subjects so he's doing maths and physics and possibly further maths. English is his best academic subject do that's another choice made. For his 4th he has moving image arts or biology depending on whether his school decide to offer F Maths or not. There has been one person each of the past two years doing f maths as independent candidates cause the school don't offer it but this year there's 3 who want to do it do they're hoping the school can timetable it. MIA because he can do animation and design as part of it and biology cause he needed another option for the form and he likes science.

Hope this helps.
Reply 1044
I'm doing either:

Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Biology, English Lit +EPQ

or

Maths, Chemistry, Biology, English Lit + EPQ

I'm not sure about whether I should take 5 AS subjects and the EPQ. Does anyone know anyone who's had an experience of this/have their own experience of this?
Original post by non
Is it done on how well you did on it in GCSE? Or how much you enjoy your subject during GCSE?

I'm having trouble because I didnt particularly enjoy any subject during GCSE that much and I heard subjects change lots at a level level so I'm not sure on how to pick my a levels.

You'll excel at what you enjoy
I'm doing Maths, Physics, Geography and Economics
Reply 1047
Maths, History, Geography, Theology and Economics.
Original post by rock.and.rose
History, Latin, Greek, Music and Maths

Greek is offered outside the regular school day, so I'll be giving up my "spare" time to study it, but I'm doing that already with GCSE Greek. This is why I'm able to take on five subjects.

Which type of History are you doing? Early Modern or Late Modern?

I'm gonna be doing Latin and Music too - doing Greek GCSE this summer but it's SO boring.
Reply 1049
Original post by Namedbeing
You'll excel at what you enjoy

Thanks for the useless answer and did you actually read my post?
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics (and AS ICT - year 10 and 11)
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I'm doing Maths, Physics, Geography and Economics

Yeah you are :wink:
Original post by GreenLantern1
Yeah you are :wink:

:wink:
Everyone on here is doing Maths :colondollar:
Original post by non

Come to the Current Year 11 thread broooo.

Oh and I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics.

Maths is what I wanna do at uni, hence the choice of maths, further maths and physics; so I enjoy them as well (that is why I want to do it at uni). And then Chemistry is a good traditioonal subject and I am very good at it (science are my best subjects by far (and German - but I don't want to do 5)).

Hope that helps.
I'm going to do:
1.Maths, Physics and Business

or

2.Maths, Physics and Chemistry

But with the first option I might do Further Maths in my second year if I am really good at AS Maths.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
:wink:
Everyone on here is doing Maths :colondollar:

A lot of people who don't even care for maths or aren't good at it seem to just take it just because it's maths. Good thing that the other 'core' subject English isn't taken so often- I think we know which is the better one.
Reply 1056
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. Pretty much the same as everyone else on here I gather. :colondollar:
Reply 1057
Come to the Current Year 11 thread broooo.

Oh and I am doing Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics.

Maths is what I wanna do at uni, hence the choice of maths, further maths and physics; so I enjoy them as well (that is why I want to do it at uni). And then Chemistry is a good traditioonal subject and I am very good at it (science are my best subjects by far (and German - but I don't want to do 5)).

Hope that helps.

they sound like interesting subjects but i'm still in year 10 :wink:.
A lot of people who don't even care for maths or aren't good at it seem to just take it just because it's maths. Good thing that the other 'core' subject English isn't taken so often- I think we know which is the better one.

30% got an A at AS.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/bsp/hi/education/10/exam_results/as_levels/html/mathematics.stm
Thats higher than a lotof subjects
I'm taking English language, English literature, psychology, photography and law.

I seem to be a bit of an anomaly, no maths or science :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest