The Student Room Group

GCSE Students - What subjects will you take for A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1340
Leaning towards a combination of Geography, Biology, Maths, History and Spanish. I'm not really sure about taking 5 AS's though, so I know that I'll probably have to eliminate another subject by September.
I'm doing:

Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and History.
I will do 5 for AS Level and then in A2 drop Biology and continue with the rest.

All subjects are base don AQA examboard...anyone who took AQA for these A-levels any reccomendations or particulary gruelling topics within these subjects? As I know content vary between examboards....and some are just stupid. Like GCSE History with different examboards
Guys I have finished my A-Levels recently. Hence I am saying, are you ready to deal with a large amount of workload(e.g. if you are planning to do FM AS, and do M2 or FP2 you will need to know C3 and C4 - A2 Maths). Subjects such as History is very tough, if you are not planning to read books around the subject or if you do not enjoy the subject.
Overall, do the subjects you will ENJOY, not the subjects YOU NEED TO STUDY!
For Maths good website is:examsolutions.co.uk(they explain FP1, M2 and S2 if you plan to do these modules at AS). I would recommend doing S2 at AS, as is not hard, it is pretty straightforward(no complicated differentiation etc.)
For Economics: there are plenty of resources, watch videos on youtube, if possible but Oxford or EdExcel revision guides and also during exams I would strongly recommend learning with specification, as they only include what is necessary. Economics is an essay subject, so bear it in mind.
For Further Maths: For FP1-FP2 look at youtube maths247(explains really good and as well as it explains M1, C1-C4, S1). Btw, I would advise to choose FP1, M2 and S2 or D1(FP2 is pretty hard and is not easier than FP3 in fact and is also A2)
Best of luck to AS students!
WHY IS NO-ONE TAKING LATIN?!

From what I have heard, Latin requires a huge amount of work and is also very time-consuming. If I were you, I may consider not doing it.
Original post by ECONMATHSMATHSMATH
For Maths good website is:examsolutions.co.uk(they explain FP1, M2 and S2 if you plan to do these modules at AS). I would recommend doing S2 at AS, as is not hard, it is pretty straightforward(no complicated differentiation etc.)
For Economics: there are plenty of resources, watch videos on youtube, if possible but Oxford or EdExcel revision guides and also during exams I would strongly recommend learning with specification, as they only include what is necessary. Economics is an essay subject, so bear it in mind.
For Further Maths: For FP1-FP2 look at youtube maths247(explains really good and as well as it explains M1, C1-C4, S1). Btw, I would advise to choose FP1, M2 and S2 or D1(FP2 is pretty hard and is not easier than FP3 in fact and is also A2)
Best of luck to AS students!

I'm in year ten, and wanted to do C1-2 M1 in January of year 11 and then M2 in June. I'll go through C3&C4 prior :smile: I'm with WJEC so I haven't the choice of Decisions Modules.
Reply 1346
Im definitely doing:
chemistry, biology and history
but im not sure about my fourth option, english literature or physics.
i like both subjects and are roughly the same grade wise in them. i would hopefully like to study dentistry.
any advice would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 1347
Chem, Bio, Maths, French, German...not too sure about German though, may drop if it's too hard.
Original post by estmick
History
Biology
Chemistry
Economics

I am a bit worried about Chemistry, heard it is pretty hardcore:afraid:

At last! Someone with the same combo as me!
Do you know your exam boards yet? :biggrin:

EDIT - not anymore! Switched His for Politics.
(edited 11 years ago)
:blow:
English
history
psychology
sociology
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology :biggrin:
Reply 1351
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Well I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and psychology, however, I'm still thinking about replacing psychology with either English literature or economics... So yeah, hopefully, I do good in A-levels so I can study medicine, preferably at imperial college, only time'll, but until then, good luck guys for results day, hope you all get the grades you want.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my HTC One S

Thank you! That's nice :smile: good luck to you too!
Reply 1352
Maths, Further Maths, French, Spanish, and Critical Thinking. WOOOO.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Med Student
I can help you out. Here's my thoughts based on your choices.

You chose subjects that would make you eligible to study medicine at any uni. I know i'm studying medicine and your choices would be perfect.

If you like working with people and have good communication skills...

Medicine (like me), Nursing, psychology...

Or if you like more research and development (i.e. labwork) and creating stuff...

Biotech, Biochem, chem engineering.

If you are going down medicine, your prospects with that combination are really really promising.

I chose maths, chemistry, biology, physics and doing medicine, though i was constantly debating whether i should choose physics or english. Both are equally relevant to medicine.

Unfortunately, choosing maths and two sciences really constricts your options. You may be outgunned in law by those choosing history, social sciences and more english based subjects. In engineering, you pose the risk of being outcompeted by those taking creative subjects like design or art.

And you're doing 5 a-levels? Really you don't need to but ok. If you are doing med, forget history of art as unis only look at 4 at the highest level anyway. Better to get high marks than ok marks on 5 or stressing yourself out on 5.

Good luck with choosing your career. Look at some career websites like allaboutcareers or just online. Don't leave the decision too late though because you do want to maximize time spending work experience etc. for your relevant subject.

Are these subjects you enjoy the most and do well in? Because if you do, i highly recommend medicine.

Hi, i am doing these subjects for A Level: Biology, Chemistry, Geography and ICT, are these good for dentistry? thanks :smile:
What's better....
A*A*A*A*
A*A*A*AAA
I have two options:

- Option 1: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
- Option 2: Further Maths, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics

If I choose option 1, I will probably not drop anything.

If I choose option 2, I will probably drop Further Maths.

PS: My strongest subject is ICT, but I don't see how this will help me in Medicine.
(edited 11 years ago)
I have two options:

- Option 1: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics
- Option 2: Further Maths, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Physics

If I choose option 1, I will probably not drop anything.

If I choose option 2, I will probably drop Further Maths

PS: My strongest subject is ICT, but I don't see how this will help me in Medicine.
Reply 1357
Original post by shadab786ahmed
What's better....
A*A*A*A*
A*A*A*AAA

A*A*A*A*.
Original post by Groat
A*A*A*A*.

Okay :biggrin: what about A*A*A*A* or A*A*A*AAAAa*a
Original post by shadab786ahmed
Okay :biggrin: what about A*A*A*A* or A*A*A*AAAAa*a

What does "a*" mean? :confused: You can't get an A* at AS-Level.

Regardless, I'm with Groat in thinking that achieving the maximum for what you did is "better". Furthermore, the difference between an A and an A* is much greater than the difference between a B and an A.

Quick Reply

Latest