The Student Room Group

RAF Aptitude Tests

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Could be, although I reckon they wouldn't group together untill trade training at Cosford?

I'll be happy to do it in 10.30 which aint the best but you know, or perhaps 10.15

And oh good, I know of a few bases and aircraft, I made a info pack with all aircraft RAF currently have :biggrin: And I'll brush up on training stages.

Just tried push ups when I read your post, and I can't believe this haha, 37 in 1.00, we're too similar:holmes:
Reply 61
good point, they will probably have me staying on base after basic or give me leave until your lot pass through, thats if i get in (medical on the 20th)

Hahah thats almost scary having the same amount of pushups, but i reckon those scores will rocket up on the pre joining fitness test when you have a personal instructor shouting at you to do more. :smile:
Reply 62
I reckon I can get my pushups to 40 odd+ by the time of my fitness test

And perhaps, I doubt the instructor will do much? But once you get to Halton, training is gonna be 100x worse!
Reply 63
Well my dad was military, and he reckons that just the pure sleep deprivation will make you want to quit so it does sound rather daunting. Yeah I've got a link somewhere of how they score your results at the PJFT, charts of what's a very good score And so on. I'll try and find it.
I know you have to get 60+ pressups in a minute for the top score :eek:
Reply 64
Original post by Major93
I made a info pack with all aircraft RAF currently have

Those 3 bulletpoints must have taken up a lot of paper...

Original post by woody55
Well my dad was military, and he reckons that just the pure sleep deprivation will make you want to quit so it does sound rather daunting. Yeah I've got a link somewhere of how they score your results at the PJFT, charts of what's a very good score And so on. I'll try and find it.
I know you have to get 60+ pressups in a minute for the top score :eek:

It's not sleep dperivation - unless you're used to 12+ hours a night - they can't really do that too much, they know it's beyond detrimental. You should easily be capable of 5-6hrs a night. It's more the fact that everything you get there is structured and regulated. Your meals are set, your fitness sessions are set, there's help there if you need it and as harsh as the DIs and PTIs might seem, they genuinely want you to achieve the best you can. I know IOT isn't a direct comparison, but in the first 5 weeks of it most people's 1.5mile time dropped by at least 30seconds, mine came down from 9.58 on the Fam Visit to 9.15 [I think] - and I was slow compared to most.
(edited 12 years ago)
Get fitter and faster. Being happy that you can drag your sorry ass in just under the qualifying time is not what you should be approaching training with. Sort yourself out, run more and suffer less in the long term.
Reply 66
Wow 30 seconds in 5 weeks is tough going but like you said its all down to the lifestyle you perform in training.
I've got a personal best of 9.40 so hopefully I can replicate what you did and hopefully ge it down to 9mins flat.
Reply 67
You'd be surprised by how you improve when you're up against people, too. Sheer adrenaline will give you an extra 20seconds at least.

Really, there's no reason at all that a decently fit person - who's been training for a while - shouldn't be averaging <10mins, a best of 9.40 isn't bad. But make that your norm, with a best of, say, 9.10 and now you're talking.
Reply 68
Original post by Drewski
You'd be surprised by how you improve when you're up against people, too. Sheer adrenaline will give you an extra 20seconds at least.

Really, there's no reason at all that a decently fit person - who's been training for a while - shouldn't be averaging <10mins, a best of 9.40 isn't bad. But make that your norm, with a best of, say, 9.10 and now you're talking.

Well, I went out running with a friend, and we are really
Competitive with each other, you know what I knocked half a
Minute off my best time cheers for the advice :smile:

Would you recommend hill running to improve my times? Or treadmill training? As I've heard using a treadmill is not a true reflection of Running speed
Sorry to bother you with this =)
Reply 69
Original post by woody55
Well, I went out running with a friend, and we are really competitive with each other, you know what I knocked half a minute off my best time cheers for the advice :smile:

Would you recommend hill running to improve my times? Or treadmill training? As I've heard using a treadmill is not a true reflection of Running speed. Sorry to bother you with this =)

Hills - yes, treadmills - maybe. Google Fartlek or sprint training and do that.
Reply 70
Went out running today with my new & first pair of running trainers and have to say they make a world of a difference!

Should be on a treadmill tomorrow, hoping to give it my all and get under 10min? Any tips though? I get very bored even with music and that make me feel tired and want to stop :frown:
Don't go on a treadmill - nothing like real running outside.
Reply 72
Original post by Major93
Went out running today with my new & first pair of running trainers and have to say they make a world of a difference!

Should be on a treadmill tomorrow, hoping to give it my all and get under 10min? Any tips though? I get very bored even with music and that make me feel tired and want to stop :frown:

I used to be like that, now I enjoy running but mainly outside. Cover the time up on the treadmill? and put your 10 favourite songs on a playlist and play them as they would be more enjoyable? Then once they have played look at the time and it'd be about 30 minutes of a good running pace. (presuming you set it at about 12-14) That would be a decent distance and would improve your overall fitness as well as your long distance running.

Not sure where you are at regarding fitness test/PRTC etc, but try and run outside twice a week and treadmill once a week and you will improve quickly. I can now run 3 miles in 20 minutes outside quite easily whereas 3 weeks ago I was running it in 25 minutes and struggling.
Reply 73
Yh thanks guys, I do run outside more often, but might aswell get used to the treadmill too.

And I've been thinking to cover up the time, bloody annoying when I get bored and notice only 3mins have passed.
Going for a 3mile run tomorrow, I'll be happy to do it in 30mins if i can.
Reply 74
Original post by Major93

Original post by Major93
Yh thanks guys, I do run outside more often, but might aswell get used to the treadmill too.

And I've been thinking to cover up the time, bloody annoying when I get bored and notice only 3mins have passed.
Going for a 3mile run tomorrow, I'll be happy to do it in 30mins if i can.

Bored? Come on mate, man up.

Do you want to get in the RAF, or not?
Reply 75
That's what I always say to myself to keep me going, I enjoy running outdoors though.

Any tips on the situps? I can do 35 in 1 minute dead but it would be nice if I could do better, just practice?
Reply 76
Original post by Major93
That's what I always say to myself to keep me going, I enjoy running outdoors though.

Any tips on the situps? I can do 35 in 1 minute dead but it would be nice if I could do better, just practice?

I tend to do alot of different variations of sit-ups and Crunches, with, and without a plate weight Against my chest for extra resistance.
Also try the plank mate it's the best exercise I have found for
Improvement in this area.

Had the interview yet?
Reply 77
Thanks, I'll take all that into consideration, and not yet, it's on August 16th.
Reply 78
Had my medical today and passed, woop woop!
Far to much worrying about it on my part, just like to say thanks to all the guys who Take time out to give us lot in Selection advice :smile:
Also does prtc dates vary depending on trade requirements? because the Afco staff are all quoting me different dates
Reply 79
Hey Woody can you break down the hearing test for us? And anyone know how much rest you get from doing the 1.5 mile run to the pressups then to the situps. I'm assuming 2 minutes between each of the 3 things...

Quick Reply

Latest