The Student Room Group

Failed A levels three times! Seeking advice!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gangsterio77
Well when I was young (eighteen) and the future seemed bright and full of hope (:wink:) I didn't really have any definite ideas. I just loved that kinda thing and wanted to learn more about it. Now, if I could have a dream, it'd be to work in academia, or write for a newspaper commentary, or something like that. I mean, these are dreams from a guy who's failed A levels three times so they're obviously not really grounded in reality like some people's, but I have a hard time letting go of them I guess.

Edit: I do realise how ridiculas I sound mouthing off about my dreams and **** when I can't get decent grades at A levels, i'm just like, trying to summarise how I feel I guess. I've got to think this though and my thoughts are muddled and a bit stressed out and I want to get everything down so I don't make a wrong move, so I'm kinda writing as I think. :P

You want to work for a newspaper. Look out for apprenticeship opportunities at a variety of local and national newspapers.
Reply 21
Original post by Gangsterio77
Heya,

I'm a bit shocked at the moment and I don't really know what to do, and was told by a friend this might be a good place to ask for advice. I'm 20 years old and ideally would like to study a degree in PPE.

Recently I've taken a C3 maths exam and its very likely i've failed it due to the amount of questions I was unsure on, and the amount I couldn't answer. This means it is extremely unlikely I am going to be able to get the B grade in maths I need to be accepted by York University who accepted me earlier this year.

I'm repeating A levels and this is my third time trying A levels and I've been doing them in total for four years now. (This time it was an intensive one year course at an expensive boarding school!).

Given that its likely i've failed at maths, and will be unable to go to most univeristies (who seem to need three A levels.) I am unsure about what path I should take from here I can either:

1) Hope that I can some decent results in my other subjects (physics and history) and get accepted to probably quite a low ranking university (No idea if this is worthwhile or not, you'd think it would have to have some worth as people go there, but you hear horror stories about people going there and realising they've wasted three years and a lot of money for a rubbish degree.)

2) Accept I can't do A levels and try something else. Quite a depressing thought as I don't think I'd like to work at job that doesn't require any qualifications and it is unlikely to hold much I enjoy or much in the way of a future I imagine.

3) Try A levels again next year. I'd be somewhat upset to be going in to university at 21, the same year my friends from the first school i've tried A levels at are leaving it but it might be the best option if I want to work in a field that requires a degree from a good university.

Would anyone with some knowlege or experience in thee matters offer me some advice?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this/any responses you might give.

Go to Carleton university in Canada. They ask for 2 A levels only. For me, Civil Engineering they want 2 A levels minimum grade of C. Easy does it. And its ranked 199th/100000 universities
Reply 22
Hey, I'm just finishing a btec and if you get DDD that equivalent to 360 ucas points. You would have to do a 2 year course, but they're just as respected as A levels now, and the whole course is coursework based, meaning you can avoid exams..
maybe do this in the evening, and work during the day?
Hope this helped!!
Original post by catzisme
Hey, I'm just finishing a btec and if you get DDD that equivalent to 360 ucas points. You would have to do a 2 year course, but they're just as respected as A levels now, and the whole course is coursework based, meaning you can avoid exams..
maybe do this in the evening, and work during the day?
Hope this helped!!

I'm just going to point out that BTEC's are not "Just as respected as A Levels". Many universities will accept you due to them, but you may lose a place to someone who's doing A Levels and top top universities don't allow BTEC's as part of their main offer.
Reply 24
just to clarify,no you will NOT lose a place to an a level student, and the only two universities who don't accept btecs are oxford and cambridge. so yes in 99% of universities they are just as well respeccted.

Quick Reply

Latest