The Student Room Group

A-levels for nursing. Help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Jordenfruitbat

Aww sociology is a good subject aswell :frown: They would rather yes, and its just not just that when your at uni your gonna be studying a lot of biology anyway that is above A-Level standard so its worth it :smile:

Hmmm okay, I think Im going to have to give in and do Biology!
But what happens if I try my best and everything, and dont get the C needed??....
Thankyou for your helpful replies :biggrin:
Original post by Kate209
Hmmm okay, I think Im going to have to give in and do Biology!
But what happens if I try my best and everything, and dont get the C needed??....
Thankyou for your helpful replies :biggrin:

Drop it after AS.

And regarding the post you quoted me about, if the unis near you have higher entry requirements then don't be put off looking at ones further afield.
Reply 22
Original post by Kate209
Hi, I know my school is quite limited, but I know if I go to the local college then I will do awfully.
Thank you for the suggestion, and I know it seems logical! My parents really dont want me to leave the school I am at now, and I know in myself that I wont put in the effort if I move to the local college :/
Its quite annoying how limited they are really :frown: Thanks again!

Why do you think you would do awfully? There are a lot of good things about going to college. The thought of it might be daunting, and you might think that there is a possibility that your self motivation won't hold up enough to get the work done, but because you get treated more like an adult and aren't chased for your homework as much as you are at school, you might find that you actually get on better there. There is more freedom in college too, and as has been pointed out, generally more options than school.

That being said, everyone is different and I don't know how good your local college is. It might be a good idea to talk to someone there about your options and what they have to offer you. They may even run taster days so you could see what it would be like. You're already ahead of many of your peers in terms of having a worthwhile goal to aim at - a lot of people your age have no clue what they want to do post A-level/post uni. Just think about it and don't dismiss it straight away. It could be a good move......

Discovering your self motivation will definitely boost your self esteem and better prepare you for uni in some ways, as you'll have to be more self motivated there anyway. And despite what people say, they don't leave you entirely to your own devices in college - there is generally a lot of help and guidance available there too!
Original post by Kate209
Hi, I'm currently halfway through doing GCSE's and I'm very, very confused as to what I should do for A-level...
I am definitely do psychology and religious studies, and thinking about biology. I'm sure you will all say to do it for definite, and I thought that too (til I searched on here 'how hard is a level Biology) - problem being that I will probably only get a C for GCSE (I hope!). I actually quite enjoy it, I just don't find it easy.
A lot of people have said 'As long as you are great at memorising a huge amount of stuff, you'll be fine!' - But I'm really not!
Unfortunately our sixth form doesn't do Human Biology, otherwise I would be all set; but I'm completely and utterly confused at what to do!
Please help!
P.s - I only just 'registered' so please forgive me if I have got something wrong :/ ::confused:

I've heard A-level Biology is quite difficult, so if you're not so good at it at GCSE, I would seriously think twice about it. Also, a lot of schools have GCSE entry requirements for certain subjects at A-level, so you might not be able to do it anyway.

As far as I'm aware, you don't actually need a degree for nursing, although it's possible to do one. Have a look at this website for more information:
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=1944
Original post by Rascacielos
I've heard A-level Biology is quite difficult, so if you're not so good at it at GCSE, I would seriously think twice about it. Also, a lot of schools have GCSE entry requirements for certain subjects at A-level, so you might not be able to do it anyway.

As far as I'm aware, you don't actually need a degree for nursing, although it's possible to do one. Have a look at this website for more information:
http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/details/Default.aspx?Id=1944

New entrants to the nursing profession from September 2013 will have to study a degree.
Reply 25
I wanna become a nurse too! (: I'm taking Biology, Psychology, Maths and Health and Social Care (:
These I've been told and seen on the university entry requirements would lead you to a good standing on whether you get on the course.
Reply 26
Original post by SeaJay

Original post by SeaJay
Why do you think you would do awfully? There are a lot of good things about going to college. The thought of it might be daunting, and you might think that there is a possibility that your self motivation won't hold up enough to get the work done, but because you get treated more like an adult and aren't chased for your homework as much as you are at school, you might find that you actually get on better there. There is more freedom in college too, and as has been pointed out, generally more options than school.

That being said, everyone is different and I don't know how good your local college is. It might be a good idea to talk to someone there about your options and what they have to offer you. They may even run taster days so you could see what it would be like. You're already ahead of many of your peers in terms of having a worthwhile goal to aim at - a lot of people your age have no clue what they want to do post A-level/post uni. Just think about it and don't dismiss it straight away. It could be a good move......

Discovering your self motivation will definitely boost your self esteem and better prepare you for uni in some ways, as you'll have to be more self motivated there anyway. And despite what people say, they don't leave you entirely to your own devices in college - there is generally a lot of help and guidance available there too!

I used to go to the school that was, sort of, paired with the local college - my parents sent me to private in Yr 9 as I was just genuinely being a brat - wrong crowds and all that, thinking detentions are cool etc etc.
I know if I go back to the local college then I will do the same thing again, and I know that I wont put any effort it because no one else is..
I am the most unmotivated person ever, and so in my sixth form you do school hours and so I would HAVE to do the work; where as the local college, you go for an hour and then go home where you are 'supposed' to do work.....
Its not a bad college, its just fine - but being offered a place at an outstanding sixth form college - everyone says is silly not to stay on.
I have thought a lot about staying or going, and was 50/50, but now have decided to stay; I know it will be better for me.
I think I may go to one of those 'Connexions' people - I think they would probably have some good advice.
Reply 27
Original post by PaigeSnow

Can I ask what you are predicted in Bio GCSE?
Hope you dont mind me asking!

****For Paige Snow
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
I'm hoping to do nursing too, i'm taking Biology, psychology, history and film studies. As long as you have a science in there and alright grades then your good but universities look for alot of experience, i think anyways!
Reply 29
Original post by Becca94

Original post by Becca94
I'm hoping to do nursing too, i'm taking Biology, psychology, history and film studies. As long as you have a science in there and alright grades then your good but universities look for alot of experience, i think anyways!

Have you done much work experience yet? Apparently you cant go into hospitals and do WE until you are 17? Dont know if thats true or not!
Reply 30
Original post by Kate209
Have you done much work experience yet? Apparently you cant go into hospitals and do WE until you are 17? Dont know if thats true or not!

I've joined St John Ambulance so I can get confidence with dealing with real patients, and when I'm 18 I'm going to apply to work in a hospital near me. And then when your studying your degree you can become a bank nurse which gives you experience and actually pays aswell. So you have plenty of time to get work experience!
Reply 31

I've joined St John Ambulance so I can get confidence with dealing with real patients, and when I'm 18 I'm going to apply to work in a hospital near me. And then when your studying your degree you can become a bank nurse which gives you experience and actually pays aswell. So you have plenty of time to get work experience!

Good idea - our school has been a nightmare with work experience and hasnt even mentioned it (even though we have finished for study leave now...) -
so do you have to do paperwork to do the WE, otherwise how does anyone know you've actually done it? :/
Reply 32
Original post by Kate209

I haven't managed to sort out experience yet, but what i've heard is that the 6th forms/college's can help you find some through the NHS - but it's pretty hard trying to get places. I'm sure you can get it before your 17 but i'm not totally sure either :/
Reply 33
Original post by Kate209
Good idea - our school has been a nightmare with work experience and hasnt even mentioned it (even though we have finished for study leave now...) -
so do you have to do paperwork to do the WE, otherwise how does anyone know you've actually done it? :/

For St John, you get certificates of the courses you've done and when you've done a certain number of hours and stuff like that. Plus they'd give you a reference if you needed one.
I'm unsure about the hospitals and that yet, as I'm having to wait til i'm 18 to do it due to safeguarding procedures.

But they would know of whatever WE you've done as you'd put it on your CV and if they ask about it all you need to do is get a reference from them. Or the company would send out one for you.
Original post by jelly1000
New entrants to the nursing profession from September 2013 will have to study a degree.

Ugh, I apologise. I was just basing it on the experiences of a friend for entry this year, which I appreciate is pretty limited evidence.
Original post by Rascacielos
Ugh, I apologise. I was just basing it on the experiences of a friend for entry this year, which I appreciate is pretty limited evidence.

Yeah you could do a diploma before but it was still 3 years in university, they want to make nurses more academically able. Most unis have already made the transition over to it being degree only theres only a few left at the minute taking on people for the diploma.
Yeah you could do a diploma before but it was still 3 years in university, they want to make nurses more academically able. Most unis have already made the transition over to it being degree only theres only a few left at the minute taking on people for the diploma.

Thanks. Everybody just ignore me from now on, I have no clue. :biggrin:
Don't worry too much about the subjects you do at A level. Make sure you have the core GCSE's though at grade C+ ( Maths , English and of course science). I did btec double performing arts and Food technology which are NOTHING to do with nursing. However , I do have personal experience which I talked about on my personal statement. They consider personal/work experience a lot more important than the subjects you do also at A level. They DO value other subjects. I got an offer from Cardiff which is a very good university and at interview they really liked the fact that I did drama as it gave me something 'different' about me. So yes take a subject to do with nursing but also do subjects you enjoy!
Reply 38
Original post by emmajade2010

Original post by emmajade2010
Don't worry too much about the subjects you do at A level. Make sure you have the core GCSE's though at grade C+ ( Maths , English and of course science). I did btec double performing arts and Food technology which are NOTHING to do with nursing. However , I do have personal experience which I talked about on my personal statement. They consider personal/work experience a lot more important than the subjects you do also at A level. They DO value other subjects. I got an offer from Cardiff which is a very good university and at interview they really liked the fact that I did drama as it gave me something 'different' about me. So yes take a subject to do with nursing but also do subjects you enjoy!

Ahhh thanks for that - has put me at ease! (slightly!) I was starting to think that I would have to do Bio, Chem and Physics at A-level for a nursing place (my idea of HELL!)
Hope you dont mind me asking, but what personal work/experience do you have? Please dont feel obliged to answer!
I know everyone is saying that WE is really important, but I am failing to come up with any more ideas than - 'The hospital',.... Someone mentioned St Johns ambulance - but that still doesnt give me much 'experience'! Any ideas would be VERY welcome.
Do you think WE in schools/nurseries would be helpful for child nursing?
Thanks again! :smile:
I've got physics, biology and computing A levels.. with as in electronics and maths at AS. Been accepted at Cardiff for what it's worth.

Quick Reply

Latest