The Student Room Group

General Allowance, LA to SFE switch among other things.

A little history.

I was assessed for a hearing disability back in May 2009 and received some equipment in support of disability. At the time I didn't pursue everything recommended through lack of knowledge (I literally was given a report and then never got told what to do, how to access or even what the majority of it meant practically for me).

At the time of the assessment I was being funded by the Local Authority to my knowledge. In September, 2010, I pursued a course related equipment through my Local Authority which was successful, quick and easy. My course ends in 2013

I was made aware that the Local Authority no longer deals with DSA any longer and its under the jurisdiction of the "efficient" Student Finance England. After continuing troubles with lectures and practicals I've decided to follow up getting a FM system which was recommended in my report.

Here is where I'm in trouble.

I tried ringing SFE and, in their glorious wisdom, have decided that there isn't a dedicated line for Disabled Students Enquiries. Moreover, the "best" and most "time saving" way to contact DSA was via email with an expected 9 Day wait. I have sent an email with a copy of the report and a quote from the FM system guys. This is where I hope you guys can help me with a quicker answer.

Will the SFE still fund the purchasing of a FM system when it was originally intended for the LA?
With regards to General Allowance and Internet Subscriptions etc, do I send them to the SFE?

Sorry for the overtones of SFE hate, it stems back to the summer of 2008 and their seemingly improbable ability to loose everything except their elevator music.

Thanks for your valuable time
(edited 12 years ago)
I suspect you'll need a new assessment.
You are entitled to ask for one.
Reply 2
That is what I was hoping wouldn't come up.

My course is a 6 year course (Vet Med) and when I undertook the report I got told it covered the entirety of the course (it was done in the second year of the course). It may sound like a first world problem but with having 9 weeks of placements over summer and exams after that and only 4 weeks left of this term I simply will find it extremely hard to have a day off to travel into London for assessment.

How would the changing of the person who signs the checks fundamentally change my disability?

Whats more, were people contacted when told that the Local Authorities had changed to SFE or were we meant to find out by our own means? Did I completely miss when they mentioned this?

Found this tid bit of information : http://practitioners.studentfinanceengland.co.uk/pls/portal/docs/PAGE/PPIPG001/PPIPS001/PPIPS008/PPIPS012/YOUR%20QUESTIONS%20ANSWERED_4.PDF
(edited 12 years ago)
My assessment was in 2009. It was through SFE.
You use the word pursue do you mean purchase?
I never had to buy anything. Everything I was entitled to on my report was provided by SFE. I thought this was so for all DSA equipment.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest