The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
mine took months to come! ( my enrollment letter) but eventualy i got it informing me i have a place and congratulating me on getting one :biggrin: 500 applicants only 80 picked! woop! so excited.

if ayone hasnt heard by now i'd deffinitely call and ask for an update if nothing else!

everyone should keep updating on here through out the course up until our results day next year! hopefuly with eachothers support none of us will drop out and we will all pass with flying colours! and maybe even head to the same uni! woohoo!
I'll have to phone next week because the access staff are on holiday now.
I'll certainly be keeping you all updated.:smile:
Reply 242
ive just been told that even tho Im a single parent on income support i have to pay £1838 tuition fees for my access course because i have a levels already. does anyone know of any help i can get to help me pay them?
Original post by godsangel
ive just been told that even tho Im a single parent on income support i have to pay £1838 tuition fees for my access course because i have a levels already. does anyone know of any help i can get to help me pay them?

I know someone who go there fees payed by a charity don't know which though.:frown:
Reply 244

That's really harsh. At my college if you are on certain benefits like housing/council tax benefit then you pay a reduced rate. I thought it was the standard but maybe all colleges are different. Does the college website not have a 'fees & financial help' section?
Reply 245
Ive been trying to get hold on learner support but cant seem to get hold of anyone. I know i can get help with stuff such as books and things and that everyone has to pay £170 no matter wat which is not a problem (I have the £170 saved to pay it). I could probably pay the £1838 bit by bit throughout the year but it would mean serious cutbacks :frown:
Reply 246
Do they let you parcel the amounts, pay in installments?
Original post by cdsmith1990
x

I received a letter saying I've got to go the enrolment on Monday, and that I have an interview. Would this be a formal interview? What can I expect?
Reply 248
Im hoping they will. I really want to do the course and need to do it to get onto my chosen uni course. Im gonna go to the college and tues and maybe they can help me find a way so that i can still do it. Ive read that some people dont have to pay the fees even if they have a levels if they are on a low income but from the impression the head of access courses gave me it looks like i will have to :frown:
Reply 249

That is unbelievable, how can they ask that much. I'm starting mine this year in N.Ireland and I don't have to pay a penny, plus I've been accepted for a £1650 non-repayable grant. Didn't realise how lucky I am. That's not good at all:s-smilie:
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
I received a letter saying I've got to go the enrolment on Monday, and that I have an interview. Would this be a formal interview? What can I expect?

Have you done any interviews or assessments on the computers yet?

If it's enrolment then (considering it's mid-August) it should just be checking some info, sorting out your ID and maybe speaking to Geoff or Dave, the course tutors.. they're sound blokes though, it should all be cool.
Reply 251
Hello Folks,

I've got an interview next week at Lambeth College and Richmond Adult Community College for an Access Course To HE in Computing.
Could you guys tell me which one has a better reputation in Computing ? and, which college is bigger ?
Could you give an overview about these two colleges ? I don't know which one to choose in case I get an offer from these two.
I will appreciate any help.

cheers,
Oliver Tangari
Reply 252
Original post by Tangari
Hello Folks,

I've got an interview next week at Lambeth College and Richmond Adult Community College for an Access Course To HE in Computing.
Could you guys tell me which one has a better reputation in Computing ? and, which college is bigger ?
Could you give an overview about these two colleges ? I don't know which one to choose in case I get an offer from these two.

cheers,
Oliver Tangari

I'm going to Lambeth! But not for computing. I thought it was a pretty impressive place but I haven't actually been inside many colleges so can't compare it to anything. When you say bigger do you mean building size or something else? Lambeth has three centres (Clapham, Vauxhall and Brixton) and does vocational courses and A'levels as well as Access courses. I guess you'll know more after your interview about which one you like most. Make sure you ask where last years students have gone as that will give you an idea of which universities accept their course.

Good luck.
hey im nt sure if im on the right thread but i need some help!! im 18 will 19 next july! after 2 years ive found i really am not a alevel person! so wud i b able to do an access to he in college being only 18!! if so any1 know any colleges that take u on at the age in birmingham??? also i hope to use this as a requirement for midwifery although it does say i have to have relevent experience seeing as ie never wokrd a day in my life anywer is it advisable to do some work exp at a local hospital will universities accept that!! as im technically not a mature students and prefer to get into uni this time next year what wud b my other options??
thankuuuu
I've just finished my Access course. It was really good fun, and very enlightening. Just waiting for my diploma to come now so that uni can confirm my place. Still waitng for my diploma that should have been here by Wednesday this week at the latest. Not impressed!
Reply 255
Original post by rukhsar01
hey im nt sure if im on the right thread but i need some help!! im 18 will 19 next july! after 2 years ive found i really am not a alevel person! so wud i b able to do an access to he in college being only 18!! if so any1 know any colleges that take u on at the age in birmingham??? also i hope to use this as a requirement for midwifery although it does say i have to have relevent experience seeing as ie never wokrd a day in my life anywer is it advisable to do some work exp at a local hospital will universities accept that!! as im technically not a mature students and prefer to get into uni this time next year what wud b my other options??
thankuuuu

Hey, you have to be 19 at the time of application to do an Access course, anywhere in England as far as I know. I tried applying (here in Birmingham) when I was 11 days away from my 19th birthday and they said I was too young! I'm gonna be 21 now and I'm doing my access course, but last year I did do my first year of children's nursing.

Midwifery has become degree only now (when I applied for nursing, they offered a diploma option, which you only needed GCSE's and experience with - this is the option I chose), so you will have to do a level 3 course - if you're not comfortable with doing exams, why not try a BTEC level 3 in health and social care? It's all coursework based and is equivalent to A levels.

For experience, with midwifery they generally ask you to have experience specifically with women, so try ante natal classes, or perhaps a support group for new or young moms?
Or maybe even get in touch with your local GP or community health centre and see if they do sessions where mom's can bring their babies in for checkups... they did used to do that when I was younger, but I'm not sure if they do anymore!

Either way, just start building up experience, and get on the phone to colleges now, as level 3 places will be VERY short after the 25th, when GCSE results come out.
I doubt there will be a way to get into uni next year for you, as level 3 courses are 2 years long, but that also gives you plenty of time to become a strong candidate for midwifery - it's very competitive!
Original post by rukhsar01
thankuuuu

Call colleges. Some colleges allow under 19's they just need to get funding for you.
Original post by Tangari
Hello Folks,

cheers,
Oliver Tangari

Is Richmond Adult College related in anyway to the other Richmond College because that's huge!
Reply 258
Original post by jami74
I'm going to Lambeth! But not for computing. I thought it was a pretty impressive place but I haven't actually been inside many colleges so can't compare it to anything. When you say bigger do you mean building size or something else? Lambeth has three centres (Clapham, Vauxhall and Brixton) and does vocational courses and A'levels as well as Access courses. I guess you'll know more after your interview about which one you like most. Make sure you ask where last years students have gone as that will give you an idea of which universities accept their course.

Good luck.

Hi there,
Thx for the advice, I will definitely ask where the previous learners went. Do u know how many students the college have? That will give me an idea how big the college is.
Good luck with course.
Cheers
Reply 259
Original post by Beebumble
Is Richmond Adult College related in anyway to the other Richmond College because that's huge!

I don't know.....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending