The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tangari
I don't know.....

Ahh just looked the other one is officially called Richmond upon thames so I'm guessing not.
Original post by cdsmith1990

Have you done any interviews or assessments on the computers yet?

If it's enrolment then (considering it's mid-August) it should just be checking some info, sorting out your ID and maybe speaking to Geoff or Dave, the course tutors.. they're sound blokes though, it should all be cool.

No, I havent had any interviews or done any assessments. I'm guessing this is for the Literacy and Numeracy? Could I take my GCSE certificates, so than I don't have to do it? I've also got some Level 2 certificates that I could take.
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
No, I havent had any interviews or done any assessments. I'm guessing this is for the Literacy and Numeracy? Could I take my GCSE certificates, so than I don't have to do it? I've also got some Level 2 certificates that I could take.

Yeah it should be, they take up to Floor 3 to the library and you just do those assessments on the computers, one numeracy and one literacy, they're pretty simple, you only need a level 2 to 'pass' them.

Then you'll just have an interview, mine was relatively quick and pretty informal; as long as you do OK on the assessments you should be fine...

They didn't ask for any proof of past qualifications from me but I suppose you could take them just in case.

Yeah it should be, they take up to Floor 3 to the library and you just do those assessments on the computers, one numeracy and one literacy, they're pretty simple, you only need a level 2 to 'pass' them.

Then you'll just have an interview, mine was relatively quick and pretty informal; as long as you do OK on the assessments you should be fine...

They didn't ask for any proof of past qualifications from me but I suppose you could take them just in case.

I applied for a short course there in December, and I did those assessments. Do you think they still have them on record? And am I right in thinking that GCSEs are Level 2 qualifications?

If it's informal, then it's ok because I'm going to have to head there straight after work.

Another question, if they ask me if I have completed a Level 3 qualification, and I say no, do they ask for proof or do they have any way of checking up on it?
I applied for a short course there in December, and I did those assessments. Do you think they still have them on record? And am I right in thinking that GCSEs are Level 2 qualifications?

If it's informal, then it's ok because I'm going to have to head there straight after work.

Another question, if they ask me if I have completed a Level 3 qualification, and I say no, do they ask for proof or do they have any way of checking up on it?

There's a good chance they'll have them on record yeah, worth checking to save you doing them again. And yeah, GCSE is level 2..

I don't know about the other thing though tbh dude.. Erm, I wouldn't mention it unless they actually ask you.. Although, when you enrol and they sort out your ID and stuff, you'll have to sort out paying for the course.. From memory it was about £1300.. I'm not 100% sure how it works but because I was 20, I had to sign on for Jobseekers Allowance for a couple of weeks so I didn't have to pay the fee, then sign off.
Original post by wizardtop
it all depends on the degree u want to do BolloTheGorilla i have a gcse quivalance in Maths however in my experience of dealing with universities for the degree i want to do they wont accept it and want me to do a GCSE in Maths alongside a updated Access diploma.My advice would to contact the relevant admissions tutors for the degree u wish to do and ask them point blank will they accept it

Too right, The GCSE equivalence tests don't even come close to a low grade GCSE!
There's a good chance they'll have them on record yeah, worth checking to save you doing them again. And yeah, GCSE is level 2..

I don't know about the other thing though tbh dude.. Erm, I wouldn't mention it unless they actually ask you.. Although, when you enrol and they sort out your ID and stuff, you'll have to sort out paying for the course.. From memory it was about £1300.. I'm not 100% sure how it works but because I was 20, I had to sign on for Jobseekers Allowance for a couple of weeks so I didn't have to pay the fee, then sign off.

1. GCSEs are level 2 qualifications

2. A levels are level 3 qualifications.

3. Most modules that you do on an ACCESS program are supposed to be level 3.

4. Usually you only have to prove what qualifications to claim to have. It is not necessary to prove that you haven't done a course.
Original post by tonyhawken

4. Usually you only have to prove what qualifications to claim to have. It is not necessary to prove that you haven't done a course.

Yup that's pretty much exactly what I've said before breh.
Reply 268
Helloo I am 18 yrs of age but i will be turning 19 in october will I be able to apply forrrr an access course

I don't want to pay the full fee, because I've only just started work so money is a bit tight, but thing is I wasn't signing on before that. So if they ask me about a Level 3 qualification, and I say no, whereas in fact I have one, is there any chance they could find out?

Also, what kind of questions do they ask at the interview? Is it just the standard, "why do you want to do this course" and that sort of thing?
I don't want to pay the full fee, because I've only just started work so money is a bit tight, but thing is I wasn't signing on before that. So if they ask me about a Level 3 qualification, and I say no, whereas in fact I have one, is there any chance they could find out?

Also, what kind of questions do they ask at the interview? Is it just the standard, "why do you want to do this course" and that sort of thing?

I'm not sure how it'll work with the fees, it was my first Level 3 qualification but I'd have had to pay the full £1300 if I wasn't signing on at the time...

You can pay in instalments though if I remember right.

And they should be yeah, mine were... I think it depends on what you've done previously and what you get on the assessments if you have to do them, mine was really quick because I pretty much already had a place but I know a couple of people in my group had really tough interviews, but that was mainly because English wasn't their first language.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 271
I might be overlooking something but as yet i'm not sure which books to get for my subjects. Our college has an online service but I really can't see anything useful on there. It just seems a bit disorganized, and i'm stressing!
Original post by mooncalf
I might be overlooking something but as yet i'm not sure which books to get for my subjects. Our college has an online service but I really can't see anything useful on there. It just seems a bit disorganized, and i'm stressing!

Don't be too stressed over it. Your college will probably tell you what books to get when you get there.

I'm not sure how it'll work with the fees, it was my first Level 3 qualification but I'd have had to pay the full £1300 if I wasn't signing on at the time...

You can pay in instalments though if I remember right.

And they should be yeah, mine were... I think it depends on what you've done previously and what you get on the assessments if you have to do them, mine was really quick because I pretty much already had a place but I know a couple of people in my group had really tough interviews, but that was mainly because English wasn't their first language.

I'm sure one of the conditions for not having to pay the full fee is if it is your first Level 3 qualification. Would paying in installments be a fixed amount, and it would still be £1300 and not more, like when interest is added on?

Would it be ok turning up to the enrolment/interview in casual clothes?
I'm sure one of the conditions for not having to pay the full fee is if it is your first Level 3 qualification. Would paying in installments be a fixed amount, and it would still be £1300 and not more, like when interest is added on?

Would it be ok turning up to the enrolment/interview in casual clothes?

Maybe yeah, I mean you don't have to pay for A levels, but it's probably dependant on your age. I'm not sure about interest though, I wouldnt have thought they'd charge any but I couldn't say for certain.

And yeah, everyone there had casual clothes when I went, jeans and tshirts etc so don't worry about that lol
Reply 275
Paying the fees would depend where you're from. In Wales, if it's your first level 3 qualification you don't have to pay the fees. In England you do have to pay them unless you're on benefits. I'm not sure now Scotland and NI work.
Reply 276
Original post by mohfar92
Helloo I am 18 yrs of age but i will be turning 19 in october will I be able to apply forrrr an access course

From the guidelines I've seen, you have to be 19 at the time of application to get on the Access course (I've been rejected, even though I was 2 weeks away from my 19th birthday) - I think it's to do with funding, as Access course is funded for mature students, and you're not classed as one unless you're 19. Best to just phone the colleges you would apply at, and see what they say.

Best of luck.
Reply 277

If you're between 19 and 24 and you say it's your first level 3, you wont have to pay your fees. However, make sure you let them know that you know this, as my college tried to say I would have to pay if I couldn't provide a letter from the jobcentre (I was on jobseekers allowance when I enrolled) as that was the only way I'd be exempt from fees. I had to say 'yes but I'm 20 and it's my first level 3, I don't have to pay.' and that's when they said that that's fine.

Slightly shocking, as if I hadn't known this, and I wasn't on jobseekers, they would've charged me knowing full well I didn't have to pay.

As for the questions, I had to write a short essay on why I wanted to do the course, what career I planned to follow and what skills and experience I had to back it.

Hope that helps, good luck (:
Original post by Beebumble
So who's excited to start?:elefant::jebus::party:

best of luck BeeBumble with your Access to He diploma this year,but it looks like i be starting next year due to reasons i wont go into now,was so looking forward to starting this year however things havnt worked out that way.Still waiting on my pre-access to he diploma which still hasnt arrived at my college even though i was told i passed in no certain terms
The GCSE equivalence mathematics is typically an entry requirement for many Access programmes. Most ACCESS programs have core units - numeracy, english and ICT. These are typically level 2 equivalence units. It is possible to study level 3 mathematics units at certain colleges. It is also possible to do a GCSE mathematics in one year at the same time that you study on an Access programme.

I didnt say it wasnt possiable to achieve the qualifications u stated in my previous posts tonyhawken what i did say most universities wouldnt even consider the access GCSE mathematics equivalent if u read my previous post and they want the full GCSE course instead.But thats dependent on what type of degree a access to he diploma students wants to do really and for one thing most access diplomas up where i live dont offer enough level 2 credits even level 3 credits for it to be sufficient to be considered for the universities

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending