The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by RinniieX
I was thinkgin the same thing about the mths (and english) i have a*s gcse in both, and i even recently did a level 2 qualification in both to get a guarenteed place on my course which i only finished a month ago! so im going to ask if i can maybe skip these after the first week or so, then on a monday il be able to finish at 11am! :biggrin:

The course I just finished (Humanities Access - Business and Law) had people who held GCSE's at C or above in maths bring in their certificates to be automatically exempted from the requirement. The English portion was mandatory - no exemptions.

In the event, because it was more than a decade since I'd taken my GCSE's, I ended up having to take the maths modules anyway, despite having a B. However all I really had to do was turn up to class and pay attention - we were marked on a mix of portfolio evidence (completed in class) and end of module tests and my group didn't have to take work home once the whole year.
I'm all enrolled!! I've even got a little card with a picture of my mush on it, sweeet.

I start on the 7th for induction, then the course starts on the 12th fully. I have hip surgery on the 12th, D'oh! Sod's law sorted that one out I think...

Am well excited now, can't wait to just get stuck in. I just hope my business brain can cope with all this biology / physiology stuff being rammed into it!

Good luck to everyone starting in the next few weeks :smile:
Reply 302
Original post by FDCR
The course I just finished (Humanities Access - Business and Law) had people who held GCSE's at C or above in maths bring in their certificates to be automatically exempted from the requirement. The English portion was mandatory - no exemptions.

In the event, because it was more than a decade since I'd taken my GCSE's, I ended up having to take the maths modules anyway, despite having a B. However all I really had to do was turn up to class and pay attention - we were marked on a mix of portfolio evidence (completed in class) and end of module tests and my group didn't have to take work home once the whole year.

Ah, I did mine about 5 years ago, so hopefully I should be exempt. And English, I have A's in both literature and language, but we don't have an individual time set out for it on the timetable as we do for maths, so hopefully that'll just be tied in with the tutorial or something at the most. Then again, as you were doing business and law, that might have been why it was mandatory to do English.

But yeah, good luck to everyone!
Hey

I finished up work yesterday, what a great feeling! Had today off to take it all in lol. I have my induction day tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it, have planned to get there about an hour early just in case lol. Then on Monday I start for real! :biggrin:

A few of you mentioned personal statements earlier - I was thinking of starting mine now too but honestly dunno what to write. Do you think the access course will include stuff like that, teaching us how to write one or even anything about the whole ucas process?? Or is that stuff we're supposed to do on our own?
Original post by evilpenguin
Hey

I finished up work yesterday, what a great feeling! Had today off to take it all in lol. I have my induction day tomorrow and I'm really looking forward to it, have planned to get there about an hour early just in case lol. Then on Monday I start for real! :biggrin:

A few of you mentioned personal statements earlier - I was thinking of starting mine now too but honestly dunno what to write. Do you think the access course will include stuff like that, teaching us how to write one or even anything about the whole ucas process?? Or is that stuff we're supposed to do on our own?

Your tutors should set up a few tutorials/toolbox sessions to talk about personal statements and applying to Uni, you should also be able to get help from at least one of them to write it and check it over for you. However, before that I would recommend looking at the personal statements section of this website (go to the tabs at the top of the page - you can get a helper to aid you in writing it but also look through past students personal statements to get an idea of what sounds good and what doesn't work, you can search by subject which can be useful!) and see what other people have said.
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
Your tutors should set up a few tutorials/toolbox sessions to talk about personal statements and applying to Uni, you should also be able to get help from at least one of them to write it and check it over for you. However, before that I would recommend looking at the personal statements section of this website (go to the tabs at the top of the page - you can get a helper to aid you in writing it but also look through past students personal statements to get an idea of what sounds good and what doesn't work, you can search by subject which can be useful!) and see what other people have said.

Thanks! Glad to hear the tutors will give us a little bit of info about it all. I'll definitely be using the PS section here to guide me when I begin writing mine :smile:
Did originally want to study chemistry but have decided on biology as I've always liked the subject more. Been talking to enrollment staff today and was told that I could enroll next week. Am excited to be finially getting one step closer.

Quick question I've been told that I will be doing 13 hours a week, 4 per subject and 1 for tutorials. Was just wondering is this the normal amount of time for the year course or will it be a two year course?
Reply 307
Original post by twinkle.twinkle
Did originally want to study chemistry but have decided on biology as I've always liked the subject more. Been talking to enrollment staff today and was told that I could enroll next week. Am excited to be finially getting one step closer.

Quick question I've been told that I will be doing 13 hours a week, 4 per subject and 1 for tutorials. Was just wondering is this the normal amount of time for the year course or will it be a two year course?

The Access course is 16 hours a week max., and a year long course - My college said we have to do 14.5 hours minimum, but that's just my college, 13 hours a week sounds fine (:
Original post by twinkle.twinkle

It really depends on the college concerned twinkle.twinkle really some access to he graded diplomas are 15 hrs a week spilt over three full days from 9:30 am to 3pm like at our college whereby u study 6 subjects over a three day period whilst others can be slight less hours like your college is twinkle.twinkle.It really depends on the most part how colleges arrange the access to he diploma and same applies to how many access credits are available for that particular college.Also some access to he students decide to do the part time route where they do the access to he diploma over 2 years instead of one full year due to personal and work commitments etc.Hope this info helps you twinkle.twinkle if u need any further advice u know where i am ^_^
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by wizardtop
It really depends on the college concerned twinkle.twinkle really some access to he graded diplomas are 15 hrs a week spilt over three full days from 9:30 am to 3pm like at our college whereby u study 6 subjects over a three day period whilst others can be slight less hours like your college is twinkle.twinkle.It really depends on the most part how colleges arrange the access to he diploma and same applies to how many access credits are available for that particular college.Also some access to he students decide to do the part time route where they do the access to he diploma over 2 years instead of one full year due to personal and work commitments etc.Hope this info helps you twinkle.twinkle if u need any further advice u know where i am ^_^

I was originally hoping that the course would take two years, but thinking about it I would prefer if I could just get it over and done with so to speak.
I'm supposed to enroll today but still no letter and can't get in touch with any of the access staff on the phone.:angry:

I'm starting to think they're ignoring me because I have phoned an awful lot.:colondollar:
Original post by Beebumble
I'm supposed to enroll today but still no letter and can't get in touch with any of the access staff on the phone.:angry:

I'm starting to think they're ignoring me because I have phoned an awful lot.:colondollar:

That's so unprofessional though! Keep phoning!
That's so unprofessional though! Keep phoning!

Just rang main reception and they said access staff on holiday. So enrollment can't be today because we need to choose our options to enroll and can't do that with no access staff.

I now have to wait until Monday when they'll hopefully be back. Really annoyed now because I was told it was today and still have no conformation.:frown:
Original post by Beebumble
Just rang main reception and they said access staff on holiday. So enrollment can't be today because we need to choose our options to enroll and can't do that with no access staff.

I now have to wait until Monday when they'll hopefully be back. Really annoyed now because I was told it was today and still have no conformation.:frown:

Who told you it was today? My enrollment letter came after the enrollments had started so I ended up going to the very last one. If you have an email address for any of the access tutors I would email them to explain your situation. Then on Monday they will hopefully get back to you about it. You should still be able to enrol late if for some reason you've missed enrollment (which I doubt you have but you never know). I get the impression colleges are super busy just now so I'm sure there's a good reason for you not having confirmation yet. I mean, I enrolled last week and had an induction yesterday and we were told they don't even have the entry requirements agreed with the unis yet and our first class doesn't have a room or a tutor agreed... things seem very last minute!

Don't worry yourself, enjoy the weekend and get back in touch with them on Monday. Can't the reception staff give you any info on the enrollment??
Who told you it was today? My enrollment letter came after the enrollments had started so I ended up going to the very last one. If you have an email address for any of the access tutors I would email them to explain your situation. Then on Monday they will hopefully get back to you about it. You should still be able to enrol late if for some reason you've missed enrollment (which I doubt you have but you never know). I get the impression colleges are super busy just now so I'm sure there's a good reason for you not having confirmation yet. I mean, I enrolled last week and had an induction yesterday and we were told they don't even have the entry requirements agreed with the unis yet and our first class doesn't have a room or a tutor agreed... things seem very last minute!

Don't worry yourself, enjoy the weekend and get back in touch with them on Monday. Can't the reception staff give you any info on the enrollment??

Just realised won't be until Tuesday now because it's bank holiday Monday!
Thanks though.x
Reply 315
I've been informed that my course will cost me £1000, although i'm not unemployed I will be taking a career break, is it possible to sign on with JSA and have my fees waived?

Thanks
Reply 316
If you're voluntarily leaving your job you will not be eligible for JSA, I don't tink?
Reply 317
If you sign on for JSA then you'd have to sign off after you start the course because it is a full time course. Im having the same problem. My course is £1838 and I was on income support before as a single parent but Ive had to sign onto jsa instead. Not really sure what Im gonna do once I start my course but one step at a time I suppose
Reply 318
Original post by godsangel
If you sign on for JSA then you'd have to sign off after you start the course because it is a full time course. Im having the same problem. My course is £1838 and I was on income support before as a single parent but Ive had to sign onto jsa instead. Not really sure what Im gonna do once I start my course but one step at a time I suppose

I thought Access courses were classed as part time, as you do a maximum of 16 hours a week?... my college say we have to do a minimum of 14.5 hours, and by JSA terms you should still be able to claim then - maybe not as much as normal, but some at least.

And the fees should be waived if you're on income support / JSA too...
They told me that I needed a letter to confirm I was on benefits, and my fees would be waived (but I also happen to fit into the 19-24 first level 3 category and so didn't have to pay anyway)

I also read a whole page on the criteria for funding this year, and having fees waived, I can't find it right now (sorry!) but if I manage to get a hold of it, I'll post the link here.
Reply 319
Im over 25 and have a levels so if im on income support I have to pay but if im on JSA i dont have to pay for some reason so the woman who runs access told me to go on JSA until I start then go back on income support.
According to the jobcentre in bristol where I live the access course is classed as full time because they count the amount of time you need to do coursework, study time etc as part of the course.
Im not really sure what to do...whether to stay on JSA and keep looking for work so they think Im trying or to just try and go back on income support after. Its all very confusing lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending