The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting down writing out a few drafts. Mainly because it will be wrong, and i might get into a habit.
Reply 61
Original post by tidbury1415
I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting down writing out a few drafts. Mainly because it will be wrong, and i might get into a habit.

this is true perhaps its just to get a idea of what you are going to include or not :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by RinniieX
I'm 21 and starting an access course this coming september to do psychology with criminology, and wondering if anyone else is starting an access course this september? and if anyone knows their start date yet? (or rough start date) as I am completely clueless but VERY excited :biggrin:

On a side note, does anybody who has done an access course before know when the exams are for it?

Thanks! :smile:

i do my pre access course for 6 days from 31st august, then my actual course starts 19th sept.

btw its access to he(science) at coleg menai, anyone else doing this?
Original post by geekay1
I have had a few people tell me that its worth getting some drafts of your ps done now but sounds way to early in my opinion.

BOLD=:rofl::rofl2::rofl:

It's worth getting some ideas down, even if it's not necessarily a 'draft'.
All your university applications will happen so fast, and there will be so much to do that you will be glad you at least got some footwork done before you started college!
Good luck
Original post by geekay1
this is true perhaps its just to get a idea of what you are going to include or not :smile:

Not a bad idea. I've just written up a draft, and i can honestly tell you, I am the biggest Bullsh*tter i know. Haha I won't show you this one, it's truly hysterical.

Have a look at this thread mate. It would be good to get your input and see what you think about my situation!!
Reply 65
Not a bad idea. I've just written up a draft, and i can honestly tell you, I am the biggest Bullsh*tter i know. Haha I won't show you this one, it's truly hysterical.

Have a look at this thread mate. It would be good to get your input and see what you think about my situation!!

LOL sell if it gets you into a decent uni then its worth it ayyy. What threads that ?
Original post by geekay1
LOL sell if it gets you into a decent uni then its worth it ayyy. What threads that ?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32287202

yeah, have a read.

lol no, but it did make me laugh though!
Reply 67
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=32287202

yeah, have a read.

lol no, but it did make me laugh though!

Hey i had a read i left a comment soz though didn't get to read all of it so if mines rubbish then just tell me to shudup lol, please dont let these people put you off going to uni though :biggrin:
Original post by geekay1
I have had a few people tell me that its worth getting some drafts of your ps done now but sounds way to early in my opinion.

BOLD=:rofl::rofl2::rofl:

geekay1 i agree with jeffercake when u on a Access course they always tell u to apply before December and defiantly before the january deadline which for us will be January 2012 due to the overal competitive nature of some degrees.I know it sounds strange geekay1 u only just started a Access course in September and by November they start telling Access students to start applying through UCAS but the more preparation you do by getting started on your own individual UCAS personal statement ie doing a few drafts now the better it will be in the long run.I started doing my UCAS personal statement last month would you believe m8 and its already in 3rd draft formart as we speak,i more likely tweak it more as i go along :biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by RinniieX
whats an induction to the course (sorry to sound daft lol) does everyone get that? bit early isnt it! lol

hey! im sure you havent applied to late, as far as im aware my college r now interviewing for access courses and other adult courses too :smile: so prob about the right time to apply! i was just a bit too eager and applied in december/january! haha

Sorry for the late reply, been working like crazy!

An induction - well, kind of just an introuctory session, presentations from the teachers etc.

I thought it was a bit early too but there were people there who hadn't yet signed up and wanted to know more. It was good thoguh!
Hi I'm 19 hoping to do access to humanities. Really nervous because the college I want to do it at say they want a maths GCSE grade C which I don't have.:frown:

I'm hoping that if I explain to them about my dyscalculia and that I am willing to do an evening course to resit my GCSE, whilst doing the access, they'll be willing to overlook that. What do you guys think?:redface:
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
Have they explicitly stated that a maths GCSE at C grade is mandatory?

I'm hoping to be accepted onto an Access Course for Humanities, too, and I also don't have GCSE maths at C grade (I "acheived" a D). However, the college I'm applying to states that, although a C grade in GCSE maths is preferable and an advantage, it's not necessarily required.

I think it's worth contacting the college to receive clarification on the matter. I'm sure they'd be willing to placate you resitting the GCSE, as long as it doesn't conflict too much with the course.

Well they said, "We like our applicants to have a C or above in GCSE maths." I'm not too sure if that means it's mandatory or not.:s-smilie:

I will defiantly discuss it with them and will resort to begging if I have to!:biggrin:
Original post by DisconcertingWink1
Yeah, it sounds as though they're willing to allow a degree of flexibility, and I'm sure they'll be sympathetic towards the fact you suffer from dyscalculia. I think, too, that the majority of colleges require you undergo an assessment with regard to both maths and english; so if you demonstrate sufficient ability during said assessments, I think they'll be more inclined towards accepting your application or to seriously consider it, anyway.

I completely hopeless at maths I can't remember anything from school. Therefore, I'm going to plunge myself into a process of intensive cramming, in the (probable) event that they do ask me to complete a maths assessment. I'm not entirely sure but I think the assessments are levelled as in Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3, with Level 1 being the highest. Now, I'm relatively confident I'd at least pass the Level 3 assessment, but I think it's definitely worth aiming higher, in the hope that it increases my chances of being accepted. It's the only real aspect of concern for me, though.

If begging doesn't produce the desired result threaten!

Good luck, mate. I hope you're successful. :smile:

Good luck to you too.

I'll have to bring my mum's body builder boyfriend to the interview with me one look at him and they'll have to accept me.:biggrin:

Thanks for the website I'm sure it'll come in very useful.
Reply 73
Original post by Beebumble
Well they said, "We like our applicants to have a C or above in GCSE maths." I'm not too sure if that means it's mandatory or not.:s-smilie:

I will defiantly discuss it with them and will resort to begging if I have to!:biggrin:

Hii! good luck with your college interview and things :smile: in regards to the maths and english assessments, i had to have both a BKSB assessment leveled 1-3, although my college aim for you to be at level 2 standard (around a c in gcse) i took it and got a 1, which is the level below, even though i had a B in maths gcse anyway, so they offered me a free maths course over a couple of weeks to gain my level 2 cert meaning i get my place on the couse in september :smile:

its pretty basic stuff on the test too, decimals, percentages, area, volume, etc. the website www.move-on.org.uk is fantastic! it really helped me in the exam! the tests r just like the real test you take too! so deffinitely look into it, also www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise is good too!

let us know how you get on :smile: :redface:
Reply 74
Hiya,

I took my assessments last Friday and although I have always struggled with maths, a little preparation went a long way I think.

I looked at the websites that have been posted above, and took a quick glance through some GCSE maths practice papers. I was amazed at how quickly the things came back to me! Maths tends to make me panic (I've even considered that I may have dyscalculia in the past) and just sitting down whilst relaxed, under no pressure, and going through the papers worked wonders.

Then when there were any sections that I couldn't remember, or was a bit rusty on, I went onto the BBC Bitesize website and did a little refresher.

I'm sure if you can demonstrate a decent competency on the assessments, then not having the required grade at GCSE might not be such a problem.

Fingers crossed for you Beebumble, let us know how you get on.

Dot
Reply 75
Original post by scotton86
Hiya,

I took my assessments last Friday and although I have always struggled with maths, a little preparation went a long way I think.

Dot

I agree about the preparation. I originally got a D in Maths GCSE then retook it for a C but that was many years ago.

In February I did a Maths assessment for an access course with no preparation and only just scraped a Level 1. I think they were generous because my English assessment was very good. There were loads of stuff that I just didn't get when I did GCSE (algebra, trigonometry, fractions) and I relied on my basic arithmetic. A few weeks later I applied to another college who required a higher level of Maths and I studied like mad for it. It really paid off not only because I got 18/20 on the written paper but because for the first time ever I did a Maths test without shaking and feeling like I was going to throw up. In fact I almost enjoyed seeing question after question that I knew how to answer.

I am waiting for my offer letter from Lambeth, I have to be enrolled in a week but I haven't got the paperwork yet. It's driving me crazy but on the plus side I'm feeling more comfortable about the financial and childcare side of things after chatting with dh.
Wow thanks guys.:smile:

I guess I'm going to dig out my old maths books and finally learn all my times tables.:colondollar:
I've also rang up a couple of other colleges.
The other one I'd like to go to has no more spaces however I spoke to the course director who said that he's going to look into finding a place for me so fingers crossed.:biggrin:
Reply 78
I get my timetable next week, yay! :biggrin:
Reply 79
Um... okay let me try and remember a few things from my assessment:

Arranging or re-arranging formulas
Long division and multiplication
Finding the circumference, area etc of a circle
Interpreting data tables (Mean, median, mode, range)
Fractions (converting to decimals, adding and multiplying)
Showing '1.3 to the power of 12' as a number etc
Areas of quadrilaterals
Internal & external angles of a triangle & quad

That's about all I can think of now. the English assessment was very simple (I thought) and just required spotting some spelling errors in a passage, selecting which of a number of sentences was a 'complete sentence', reading a leaflet from a gym and understanding what it's offering etc. Nothing too taxing if your grasp of English is okay.

Dot
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending