Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Announcements Posted on
Are you at uni? Can you help prospective students with their questions? We're looking for uni forum assistants 19-11-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks guys.

I guess I'm going to dig out my old maths books and finally learn all my times tables.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've also rang up a couple of other colleges.
    The other one I'd like to go to has no more spaces however I spoke to the course director who said that he's going to look into finding a place for me so fingers crossed.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Here's an extremely useful and resourceful site I discovered late last night, to augment the sites which have already been posted. It brushes you up on the basics and does so in easy to understand and digestible language.

http://wikieducator.org/ABE_Math_Tut...s/Introduction

I'm in a cramming frenzy at the moment!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Actually, a quick question: I know the complexion of assessments vary wildly depending on the college, but for those who've been required to complete assessments, what sort of questions can I expect to answer, especially with regard to maths?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I get my timetable next week, yay!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Long division! :stomp: It's hurting my brain.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Um... okay let me try and remember a few things from my assessment:

Arranging or re-arranging formulas
    Long division and multiplication
    Finding the circumference, area etc of a circle
    Interpreting data tables (Mean, median, mode, range)
    Fractions (converting to decimals, adding and multiplying)
    Showing '1.3 to the power of 12' as a number etc
    Areas of quadrilaterals
    Internal & external angles of a triangle & quad

That's about all I can think of now. the English assessment was very simple (I thought) and just required spotting some spelling errors in a passage, selecting which of a number of sentences was a 'complete sentence', reading a leaflet from a gym and understanding what it's offering etc. Nothing too taxing if your grasp of English is okay.

Dot
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotton86)
    Um... okay let me try and remember a few things from my assessment:

Areas of quadrilaterals
    I had my assessment recently and was surprised at the difficulty of level 2 Maths. It's been about 5 years since I've had to do Maths, luckily my arithmetic is solid, but with a lot of the harder Maths as you can see above, I had to really dig into my memory, or just have an educated guess at it, which was made easier by the fact I had a 1 in 4 chance anyway.

As for the English one, it was infinitely easier. I suppose that because since school I've come in contact with words everyday, and in the past couple years have become an avid reader. That made the English one considerably easier. The test graded me as 'working towards level 3' in English and 'working at level 2' in Maths.

I currently have a C in Maths and a DD in English and I will be retaking both. I hate my English grade as I pride myself on my ability to converse in English, whether in person or on paper, so it kinda sucks to have that grade as the only indicator of my English ability if you haven't met me, when I feel it definitely isn't reflective of my capabilities.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fexysucker)
    I had my assessment recently and was surprised at the difficulty of level 2 Maths. It's been about 5 years since I've had to do Maths, luckily my arithmetic is solid, but with a lot of the harder Maths as you can see above, I had to really dig into my memory, or just have an educated guess at it, which was made easier by the fact I had a 1 in 4 chance anyway.
    I was surprised too, having got a B at GCSE I thought I might be okay, but there were some real tough ones on there!

Just beware though, although some of them are multiple choice, the lady at the college told me that if you weren't sure of the answer then don't answer it at all, as you actually got deducted marks for selecting a wrong answer. She said it worked out better if you just didn't answer it at all if you were unsure, rather than risk losing marks by incorrectly guessing.

I got exactly the same results as you in my assessments, and I got B for maths and A* for English at GCSE...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was surprised too, having got a B at GCSE I thought I might be okay, but there were some real tough ones on there!

Just beware though, although some of them are multiple choice, the lady at the college told me that if you weren't sure of the answer then don't answer it at all, as you actually got deducted marks for selecting a wrong answer. She said it worked out better if you just didn't answer it at all if you were unsure, rather than risk losing marks by incorrectly guessing.

I got exactly the same results as you in my assessments, and I got B for maths and A* for English at GCSE...
    So much for GCSE's being an accurate way of measuring intellect eh?

It seems I did enough anyway, I got my acceptance postcard in the mail yesterday, good stuff.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Areas of quadrilaterals
    Damn! Looks as though I'm going to have to study rather intensively over the weekend and the ensuing weeks.

I'm presuming you're given an A4 piece of paper to display your workings, etc.?

How much time were you allocated to complete the assessments?

I'm not too concerned about the English assessments, as the ones I've sampled, on various websites, haven't been at all taxing; they seem to primarily concentrate on your reading and analytical capacities, where only the misreading of certain questions could lead to incorrect answers.

All this revision and preparation may be in vain, however, as I've still yet to receive any further information from the college regarding my application since they sent me an acknowledgment email.
    If I return from work this evening and there's no email in my inbox from the college, I'll contact them via phone on Monday.

Anyway, the unforgiving mistress that is long division is summoning me, so I'm going to (reluctantly) obey her demands and subject myself to some algorithmic punishment, all in the name of revision!

Thanks, guys, for all the info. I appreciate it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    So, a letter addressed to moi arrived this morning and... I've got an interview on the 6th July, at 09:30! :dance: That gives me just under a fortnight — 10 days I count — to revise. (The letter states I will be required to undergo 'Communication and Numeracy' assessments.)

This confirmation has certainly mollified some of my anxiety, as I'm at least guaranteed an opportunity to discuss the various modules of the course, and my aspirations beyond it, face-to-face with one of the tutors.

Well, I've taken one more tentative step towards higher education; not even a step, really — more of a tip-toe. But hey, I'm closer than I was this time yesterday.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    So, a letter addressed to moi arrived this morning and... I've got an interview on the 6th July, at 09:30! :dance: That gives me just under a fortnight — 10 days I count — to revise. (The letter states I will be required to undergo 'Communication and Numeracy' assessments.)

Well done for getting the interview. I know how excited you are, I felt exactly the same way. My offer letter arrived yesterday and I've read it about ten times so far.

I did quite a bit of my Maths revision through BBC Bitesize, I'd do the test bit first and if I didn't get 10/10 I'd revise the section until I felt really confident. Good Luck
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jami74)
    Well done for getting the interview. I know how excited you are, I felt exactly the same way. My offer letter arrived yesterday and I've read it about ten times so far.

I did quite a bit of my Maths revision through BBC Bitesize, I'd do the test bit first and if I didn't get 10/10 I'd revise the section until I felt really confident. Good Luck
    Aw, thanks.

Massive congratulations on the offer! :five: Which Access Course will you be doing?

Yeah, BBC Bitesize is a great revision resource, especially if you're wanting to brush up on the basics. I'm also trying to locate my old GCSE revision books, but so far I haven't had any luck. Oh well; if needs be, I can always order some off the ol' tinternet.

Just a quick question: Did you have to complete a maths assessment? If so, was it similar to the BBC Bitesize tests?

Again, congratulations.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)

Massive congratulations on the offer! :five: Which Access Course will you be doing?

Just a quick question: Did you have to complete a maths assessment? If so, was it similar to the BBC Bitesize tests?

Again, congratulations.
    Thanks for the congratulations I'll be studying Access to Pharmacy in London.

I actually did assessments for two different colleges. The first one said I needed to be working at a Level 1 (GCSE grade D) or above and was a computer based multiple choice assessment with scrap paper and pen for working out. I did hardly any revision for that and just scraped a Level 1, that was for a Biomedical Sciences course which offered a GCSE Maths equivalence alongside it.
    http://www.move-on.org.uk/practicetestsResults.asp These practice tests are similar to what the college assessment was like.

The second one was for the Pharmacy course and was looking for Level 2 ability. It was written with a space for working out and a space for the answer. I revised like mad over three weeks using various different websites and a CPG revision book. The college did give a list of things that might be covered which really helped because I'm not sure I could have done the whole GCSE in three weeks. They asked for Add, subtract, multiply and divide with decimals and fractions, Percentages and Ratios, Basic algebra and equations and using formulas to calculate an area or volume. So I concentrated on those areas and made sure I was confident with them. I also made sure I did everything without a calculator, working out percentages with pen and paper is quite different (for me anyway) than doing it with a calculator. I had to learn how to do long division and practice long multiplication too and I found that just by handling the numbers lots and doing the sums it reinforced the times tables (which I never managed to learn off by heart as a child) and the square numbers. I got 18/20 which I was very pleased with.

Is much Maths required for Humanities? If not I'm guessing your assessment will be more like my first one and that they'll be looking for Level 1 ability.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jami74)
    Thanks for the congratulations I'll be studying Access to Pharmacy in London.

I actually did assessments for two different colleges. The first one said I needed to be working at a Level 1 (GCSE grade D) or above and was a computer based multiple choice assessment with scrap paper and pen for working out. I did hardly any revision for that and just scraped a Level 1, that was for a Biomedical Sciences course which offered a GCSE Maths equivalence alongside it.
    http://www.move-on.org.uk/practicetestsResults.asp These practice tests are similar to what the college assessment was like.

The second one was for the Pharmacy course and was looking for Level 2 ability. It was written with a space for working out and a space for the answer. I revised like mad over three weeks using various different websites and a CPG revision book. The college did give a list of things that might be covered which really helped because I'm not sure I could have done the whole GCSE in three weeks. They asked for Add, subtract, multiply and divide with decimals and fractions, Percentages and Ratios, Basic algebra and equations and using formulas to calculate an area or volume. So I concentrated on those areas and made sure I was confident with them. I also made sure I did everything without a calculator, working out percentages with pen and paper is quite different (for me anyway) than doing it with a calculator. I had to learn how to do long division and practice long multiplication too and I found that just by handling the numbers lots and doing the sums it reinforced the times tables (which I never managed to learn off by heart as a child) and the square numbers. I got 18/20 which I was very pleased with.

Is much Maths required for Humanities? If not I'm guessing your assessment will be more like my first one and that they'll be looking for Level 1 ability.
    Yes, that's true — the sciences do necessitate a mid-to-high level of mathematics, seeing as measurements and statistics, etc. are heavily invloved; and, as you've highlighted, the Humanities place less emphasis on mathematics — I assume and hope so, anyway.

I'm still concerned, however, working on the presumption that I'm competing for a place with many other applicants, that if a situation arises whereby the tutors are having to decide whether to award a place to me or a candidate of comparable ability/talent but that candidate's maths is of a higher standard to mine, they'll quite logically award the place to the other candidate.
    I guess the only solution to this potential dilemma is to ensure that my maths is not inferior — or significantly inferior, I should say — to that of my fellow applicants, which is, well, going to be difficult. (My maths is ****!)
    I have under a week to revise, a week in which expletives will play prominent roles.

Oh, a Pharmacy course, eh? I say! Get you!
    You never know, one day I may walk into the pharmacy in which you work, with a prescription for Hemorrhoid cream, and you'll have to serve me! I may even get you to apply it... No, no, that's just wrong. It's beyond the remit of a pharmacist, too, I imagine.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and good luck with the course. Keep us all updated.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    ive deffinitely been offered my place on the access to HE diploma in psychology! SOOOOOO excited! september cant come fast enough!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone completed the Art and Design Access course? Can anyone give me any clues as to what it's like?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Fexysucker - Good times! Well done on getting accepted! Don't get me started on the whole 'exams accurately measuring intellect' argument, I could be here all day! I got good at exams... whether I got good at the subject is a different matter...

DisconcertingWink1 - Well done on getting your interview date through! If I were you, I wouldn't be so worried about getting a mega grade in your assessment. If I knew it was a weakness then I'd revise like you, but then if it didn't go so well I'd also concentrate on making yourself look so totally amazing in the interview (not just academically, but with extra curricular interests, confidence etc) that they'd be foolish to turn you down. Very best of luck for your interview, you'll have to let us know how it goes!

The numeracy assessment I took was all on computer, non calculator. You got scrap paper to do your workings out on, but it went in the bin at the end. All that's counted was what you inputted on the computer. The assessment was timed, but there was no time limit.

Jami74 - I found Bitesize a massive help too. Seemed just about at the right level for the assessment too. And big congrats on getting your offer letter!

RinniieX - Congratulations on getting a place!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I have put my application form in for a different access course (one that doesn't require maths) today.

I really hope I get in.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 23, 2012
New on TSR

GCSE mocks revision

Talk study tips this weekend

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.