The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

I got an offer for pharmacy at LJMU, which I am so thrilled about as they are my only choice with me having a family nearby. They are asking for "Distinctions in all level three modules" :eek:

So far, I know I have Ds in all my chemistry modules done so far and 3 biology modules that I have had back. Reeeally going to have to work my backside off to get the Ds in the rest. I will be mortified if I don't get in now.

When writing my assignments, I feel sometimes that I go on and on and on! My Organic chem assignment was 18 pages long! I find it difficult knowing what to include and what not to include. My organic chem assignment took me almost 3weeks working EVERY day. Does anyone else have this problem when writing an assignment?
Reply 1361
Original post by clare.hughes1
I got an offer for pharmacy at LJMU, which I am so thrilled about as they are my only choice with me having a family nearby. They are asking for "Distinctions in all level three modules" :eek:

So far, I know I have Ds in all my chemistry modules done so far and 3 biology modules that I have had back. Reeeally going to have to work my backside off to get the Ds in the rest. I will be mortified if I don't get in now.

When writing my assignments, I feel sometimes that I go on and on and on! My Organic chem assignment was 18 pages long! I find it difficult knowing what to include and what not to include. My organic chem assignment took me almost 3weeks working EVERY day. Does anyone else have this problem when writing an assignment?

Congratulations on your offer!

I'm half way through an organic chemistry assignment and it is heavy going. My chemistry assignments are pages long because I draw lots of structural formulas and little pictures of water being attracted to different functional groups etc.
Reply 1362
Original post by Pitt1988
So, we're coming to the last 7-8 weeks of the access course now, how is everyone doing in relation to meeting your entry requirements? What and where is everyone going to study?

*Power to the oldies!*

Theyre so incredibly slow to mark work on my course.
So far Ive got 9 Ds and 3 Ms, but theres assignments from September I havent got back yet, I keep asking for them but since the beginning of the year the tutors been so busy helping people with their portfolios so its been impossible to get them to sit down and talk about ones grades.
I finished my portfolio in January so have been quite bored since then, since all the main fodus is on finishing them off.
Hopefully after easter there's no more interviews and we can all get back to normal.

My two top choices only require a pass though so I shouldnt be fussed, I just want to prove to myself I can do good.
I still havent firmed a uni despite having the offers for so long, Im worried about choosing.
Its stupid, I want to go to Cardiff but dont want to miss out on London. Because Im not going to live in halls theres no need for me to firm a long time before the deadline yeah?

Best of luck to everyone with their offers!!
Reply 1363
Original post by Philemon
Theyre so incredibly slow to mark work on my course.
So far Ive got 9 Ds and 3 Ms, but theres assignments from September I havent got back yet, I keep asking for them but since the beginning of the year the tutors been so busy helping people with their portfolios so its been impossible to get them to sit down and talk about ones grades.
I finished my portfolio in January so have been quite bored since then, since all the main fodus is on finishing them off.
Hopefully after easter there's no more interviews and we can all get back to normal.

My two top choices only require a pass though so I shouldnt be fussed, I just want to prove to myself I can do good.
I still havent firmed a uni despite having the offers for so long, Im worried about choosing.
Its stupid, I want to go to Cardiff but dont want to miss out on London. Because Im not going to live in halls theres no need for me to firm a long time before the deadline yeah?

Best of luck to everyone with their offers!!

We had similar issues regarding marking, 3 months for study skills to come back, soon changed when the moderators came in and asked if we had any concerns, and ofcourse that came up.

My argument is, that our tutors say that the more essays you write the the more they will improve and by the end of this year we will be writing at level 4 not level 3, but if we don't get our essays back, how are we supposed to raise the level of our essays, because we don't know what we are doing wrong. Still they have improved now and we are getting our essays back within a fortnight of handing them in.

I really wanted London for unis, but I have ended up in Surrey, which is a compromise, purely didn't want the expense of London and worrying about living in bad areas on my own, so compromised and went for Surrey, so London is not too far away.

Not the same rush to firm a choice if your not going into halls, but there is a deadline in May, it is shown on the tracker. I had to make a choice in March, as I am going to halls and the accommodation was done first come first served basis.
Original post by jami74
Congratulations on your offer!

I'm half way through an organic chemistry assignment and it is heavy going. My chemistry assignments are pages long because I draw lots of structural formulas and little pictures of water being attracted to different functional groups etc.

:biggrin: haha not just me then? I keep getting told off for "waffling" but I just don't know when to stop!
What does this mean????

An overall pass in your Access course with 60 credits with 45 credits at level 3 and 15 credits at level 2'.

This is from the University of Nottingham Trent. I am currently doing an Access to HE course and none of the teachers can explain what this means
Reply 1366
Original post by rackethead
What does this mean????

An overall pass in your Access course with 60 credits with 45 credits at level 3 and 15 credits at level 2'.

This is from the University of Nottingham Trent. I am currently doing an Access to HE course and none of the teachers can explain what this means

What don't you understand? Do you know how your access is divided up into modules, units and credits?

It means that you need to get at least a pass in all your units. 45 of your credits will be at level 3 and 15 will be at level 2 or 3. Does that help? Our units are worth 3 credits each but some access courses have larger units that are worth more.
So, all I need is at least a 'pass' in all of my essays and exams?
That seems too easy.
What does this mean????

They are telling you that you just need to pass the course, and then they even explain what you need to do to pass the said course! Easier than that would be complicated. :tongue:

Are you sure your teachers don't know what that mean? How is it even possible? Everyone that is attending an access course knows that and I suppose teachers know as well, since they were the ones who told us that! :eek:
Reply 1369
So, all I need is at least a 'pass' in all of my essays and exams?
That seems too easy.

Well you obviously impressed them with your personal statement/interview/previous experience or something else. There's a saying 'Don't look a gift horse in the mouth' it means, be happy with what you've got and don't question it too much.
Reply 1370
What does this mean????

I have the same offer from Bangor, for a four year masters, when i asked them about it they said that they saw the fact that you were doing an access course as a demonstration of your commitment to going to uni. This used to be all you needed to get onto a course as a mature student, but due to changes in the admissions regulations you now have to demonstrate that you have been in education in the last 5 years. Some unis seem to look more favourably on mature students, these seem to be the ones that just ask you to pass access:smile:

What course is it for?
Its for the TESOL/Spanish degree which also lasts four years
Reply 1372
Its for the TESOL/Spanish degree which also lasts four years

Cool, are you going to firm that offer?
I guess I have to.

I got an open day there next Wednesday but still in shock as I just need a 'pass' in all of my work that I need to do.
Reply 1374
Hey guys,
I'm currently doing an Access to Nursing course and would find it really useful if you could please fill in my questionnaire for my project.
Its questions your childrens health
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ZFDQKSX
Reply 1375
Original post by Lucy962
Hey guys,
I'm currently doing an Access to Nursing course and would find it really useful if you could please fill in my questionnaire for my project.

Done
Reply 1376
Original post by Lucy962
Hey guys,

me too:smile:
Original post by Lucy962
Hey guys,

I've done it too. Out of interest what are you using th research for?
Original post by Lucy962
Hey guys,

Done xx
Reply 1379
Original post by Lucy962
Hey guys,

Done, i dont have a kid myself but i used my god daughter, the tv question is a bit restrictive though, she doesnt watch as much as 60 minutes but this was the closest option available.

Done none the less.

Quick Reply

Latest