The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1400
Original post by jami74
Seven exams? :eek: Rather you than me, I've only got 4.

I got a write-up back today with a D on it :biggrin: although it is only part of the unit so I still have to perform well in the exam and essay to get all those credits at distinction.

Also submitted another assignment so only four more of those to finish and submit in the next couple of weeks and a couple of practical write-ups.

Ah I'm sure you'll do brilliantly in your exams and assignments! :smile:

Hmm yeah seven exams, I've not really prepared for them. Of the 7, I only really have to take 5, but even then it's going to be a stretch :redface:.
Reply 1401
I've got an assignment coming back tomorrow, fingers crossed for a good grade.
Original post by jami74

I got a write-up back today with a D on it :biggrin: .

I KNEW IT education standards have plumeted. When I was a wee bairn (thoughfully strokes grey stubble and reaches for zimmer) we had to get As, Ds just did not cut it at all. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Well done.
Reply 1403
Original post by evening sunrise
I KNEW IT education standards have plumeted. When I was a wee bairn (thoughfully strokes grey stubble and reaches for zimmer) we had to get As, Ds just did not cut it at all. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Well done.

You know at one of my interviews when I was asked how I was doing on my access course I whipped out a list of my completed units with the grades next to them. I was so proud to be able to show them that all my credits had been achieved at distinction that I sat there with a silly grin on my face feeling all smug and clever. The interviewer said "D? You've only been getting Ds?"
Has anyone on here been studying Social Sciences, with a view to applying for Psychology? How have you found it? How big is the Psychology side of the course? Is it a 50/50 split with Sociology?
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
Has anyone on here been studying Social Sciences, with a view to applying for Psychology? How have you found it? How big is the Psychology side of the course? Is it a 50/50 split with Sociology?

Hi
I am doing an Access course in Humanities and Social Sciences at the moment and have received 5 university offers to study Psychology. My Access course is made up of Psychology, Sociology, Government & Politics and Study Skills. It is split up equally so we get 3 hours for each subject each week.
The Psychology has been good on the course but I have found so far it only just skims over the theories and only covers very basic parts of Psychology. One useful thing in Psychology on my course is the fact that we have completed our own Psychology report which we had to choose to do an experiment in any part of Cognitive Psychology that we wished.
I have found this Access course a very good starting point for starting a degree, especially as I received all 5 offers and have firmed my offer at my favourite University. I would strongly recommend the Social Sciences Access course for Psychology.
I hope that helps.
Original post by Determined*
Hi
I am doing an Access course in Humanities and Social Sciences at the moment and have received 5 university offers to study Psychology. My Access course is made up of Psychology, Sociology, Government & Politics and Study Skills. It is split up equally so we get 3 hours for each subject each week.
The Psychology has been good on the course but I have found so far it only just skims over the theories and only covers very basic parts of Psychology. One useful thing in Psychology on my course is the fact that we have completed our own Psychology report which we had to choose to do an experiment in any part of Cognitive Psychology that we wished.
I have found this Access course a very good starting point for starting a degree, especially as I received all 5 offers and have firmed my offer at my favourite University. I would strongly recommend the Social Sciences Access course for Psychology.
I hope that helps.

Thanks for that, helps a lot. The Access course I'm looking at doing is just Sociology and Psychology I think, so I'm assuming it probably goes into a bit more detail, as there would be more time available for the two subjects.
Reply 1407
I just want to say congratulations to those that are achieving the grades so far for their Uni offers. :biggrin:

Just out of curiosity, how many presentations have you had to do so far? I hate presentations with a passion. :frown:
Original post by itskimmy
I just want to say congratulations to those that are achieving the grades so far for their Uni offers. :biggrin:

Just out of curiosity, how many presentations have you had to do so far? I hate presentations with a passion. :frown:

The "correct" answer is as many as possible given presentation in seminars and tutorials is so integrated into your evaluation at university these days. So the more practise you get and the sooner that starts the better, even if you loath them. Also a presentation is more often than not part of the evaluation for a job when you have graduated.
Reply 1409

I think it depends what sort of course you are doing. I've only done one 'proper' presentation that involved research, hand-outs, powerpoints etc but we've done lots of little mini presentations in class where we are split into groups and given ten minutes to discuss something and put some bullet points on a poster before delivering it to the rest of the class.
Reply 1410

Hi! i have three to do next week :frown: and have done like maybe 6 or 7 through out the course i think its to encourage people to reseach stuff for themselves and get used to presenting. that said, i dont mind giving presentations but not to a gang of bitches who hate me (as in my access course haha)
Original post by Mr. Frying Pan
Thanks for that, helps a lot. The Access course I'm looking at doing is just Sociology and Psychology I think, so I'm assuming it probably goes into a bit more detail, as there would be more time available for the two subjects.

Glad that I could help :smile: Yes I imagine that if you are just doing the two subjects you will probably get to cover them in a lot more detail as you will have more time. It sounds like it will be a very good course to get you onto the Psychology degree.
Reply 1412
Original post by Determined*
Glad that I could help :smile: Yes I imagine that if you are just doing the two subjects you will probably get to cover them in a lot more detail as you will have more time. It sounds like it will be a very good course to get you onto the Psychology degree.

The more depth you study in the better for you on a personal level, however, the psychology undergrad degrees are all designed assuming no previous knowledge of the subject, there is no requirement to have studied psychology prior to doing the degree. That said anything you can do in addition will make the first year a lot easier.

I personally have looked into what I need to do to get myself up to A level strength, with some help from my psychology tutor. I know the theoretical study is on a par with A level, my weak area is the stats aspect, due to the course not covering it, so over the summer I plan to work hard on that, although I know it will be covered on the first year of psychology, I don't want to feel like I am behind in comparison to my peers on the degree.

I received offers from all of my chosen uni's, with no prior experience, and with only 3 hours of Psychology a week, the offers were based on my personal statement, Access Course and reference.
Original post by Soule
The more depth you study in the better for you on a personal level, however, the psychology undergrad degrees are all designed assuming no previous knowledge of the subject, there is no requirement to have studied psychology prior to doing the degree. That said anything you can do in addition will make the first year a lot easier.

I personally have looked into what I need to do to get myself up to A level strength, with some help from my psychology tutor. I know the theoretical study is on a par with A level, my weak area is the stats aspect, due to the course not covering it, so over the summer I plan to work hard on that, although I know it will be covered on the first year of psychology, I don't want to feel like I am behind in comparison to my peers on the degree.

I received offers from all of my chosen uni's, with no prior experience, and with only 3 hours of Psychology a week, the offers were based on my personal statement, Access Course and reference.

Yes I have also been told that you do not require any previous knowledge of Psychology before starting a Psychology degree but like you I believe that it is very beneficial. We covered some stats whilst doing our Psychology reports but only very basic so will probably do some revision during the summer holidays before we start as well.
My offer was also based on my personal statement, access course and reference. I have also recently taken my GCSE English, Maths and Biology and have done one 60 point Open University course in the Social Sciences but the Open Uni course does not seem to have been taken into consideration as I have received the same offer conditions to all of the unis as the standard access conditions.
I have found that doing the access course has been good preparation to starting a degree as you do learn lots of new skills and it helps to ease you into education. Studying Psychology in an access course can only be beneficial to helping you prepare for a Psychology degree. It helps you to make up your mind whether Psychology is right for you. Many people started the access course wanting to do certain degrees and now we are near the end of the course a lot of people have changed their minds and have places on completely different degrees so it is very useful to do an access course in the subject to help make up your mind.
Original post by Soule
Yes, I think I will limp on all 4s over the finish line in June lol. I have what I need for uni so the pressure is off for me a little, we are having level 2 and level 3 work thrown at us, and everything has to be in by the beginning of June so it is all marked in time.

On a personal level, I have amazed myself on what I have achieved, Distinctions across the board with the exception of 1 essay which I dropped to a merit (that was my wake up call, to not get lax!). I will be sorry to end this course, but at the same time I am excited to come to the end and be able to breathe for a few months. I can't wait to actually pick a book up and read because I want to, not because I have to study it!

I think we can all pat ourselves on the back for what we are achieving, and in a couple of months this portion of our adventure will be over, this time last year who would have thought it?
You have no idea how jealous I am!:frown:

Jeesh what pathetic individual negged me for that!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1415
I need some motivation...

So much to do...

It's not even difficult but maybe that's the problem, when the work is challenging I knuckle down and concentrate but I'm just word processing hand written answers which I must finish before I start revising.
Original post by jami74

So much to do...

It's not even difficult but maybe that's the problem, when the work is challenging I knuckle down and concentrate but I'm just word processing hand written answers which I must finish before I start revising.

Only 1 month to go!!! That's working as my motivation at the moment. That said revising is not going particularly well.... :frown:
Original post by jami74

So much to do...

Enjoy it whilst you can, the next three years will not be like that.
DDD in Organic Chem assignment. Phew! That assignment almost finished me off. So happy!
Original post by clare.hughes1
DDD in Organic Chem assignment. Phew! That assignment almost finished me off. So happy!

DDD in organic chemistry.....we have a deity in the thread :biggrin:

One year of organic and I dropped A level chemistry and took computer science instead.

Wel done!!!

Quick Reply

Latest