The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1460
Original post by Illuminated_A
Ugh cannot wait to finish this course. Counting down the days till freedom, but still got 30 Distinctions and 6 Merits so far, and got 21 credits yet to recieve, which are looking to all be distinctions :biggrin:

How's everyone elses feelings towards finishing the course?

Good luck with the rest of your distinctions. I've also got 21 credits yet to recieve, fingers crossed for distinctions.

The other day a few of us went for a drink and every so often someone would say "I can't believe its nearly over and we won't see each other again". The end seems so sudden, lessons finished a couple of weeks ago but because there were exams there was no big good-bye. I secretly have a little crush on someone and the thought of not seeing them in lessons anymore...:cry2:
Reply 1461
Original post by RinniieX
poetry exam, god knows why we have to do it but we do! haha

Poetry? Eugh. Rather you than me.
hi guys im possibly thinking of starting an access course, as well as possibly finishing off my a2 levels ( i dropped out of college a couple years ago ). i was firstly wondering how heavy is the workload?( im thinking of a humanities access) how often do you get assignments and how do they mark the course ( are there exams?). did you guys work alongside your access course? if so how was it managing the two?
also about applying to university, what kind of things would you advise to make your application better? is it the case that with mature students they consider your application much more on an individual basis?
sorry for the million questions, i have did triy to have quick look through the thread first but couldnt find anything :smile:
Reply 1463
Original post by bananaterracottapie
hi guys im possibly thinking of starting an access course, as well as possibly finishing off my a2 levels ( i dropped out of college a couple years ago ). i was firstly wondering how heavy is the workload?( im thinking of a humanities access) how often do you get assignments and how do they mark the course ( are there exams?). did you guys work alongside your access course? if so how was it managing the two?
also about applying to university, what kind of things would you advise to make your application better? is it the case that with mature students they consider your application much more on an individual basis?
sorry for the million questions, i have did triy to have quick look through the thread first but couldnt find anything :smile:

I don't know much about humanities because I am doing science but because the course is only one year it tends to be very intense. Throughout most of the course I had at least one assignment on the go for each subject, as well as asssignments waiting to come back and tests/exams to revise for. Deadlines are strict although we've always been given 3 weeks so as long as you start them straight away and priorities them according to due date you should be fine.

My course seems to have more exams than most, some don't seem to have any so you would have to ask the colleges you were applying to. We have also done essays, presentations, assignments and tests.

There are some people on the course who work almost full time hours, however they don't have time to eat, sleep or go to the bathroom. There are also people doing other qualifications alongside the course.

For university you need a good personal statement, it will be your chance to explain how well prepared you are for the course and why you want to do it. If you know what career you want to do at the end then having some knowledge or experience of what that entails shows you are committed.

Good luck.
Original post by jami74
I don't know much about humanities because I am doing science but because the course is only one year it tends to be very intense. Throughout most of the course I had at least one assignment on the go for each subject, as well as asssignments waiting to come back and tests/exams to revise for. Deadlines are strict although we've always been given 3 weeks so as long as you start them straight away and priorities them according to due date you should be fine.

My course seems to have more exams than most, some don't seem to have any so you would have to ask the colleges you were applying to. We have also done essays, presentations, assignments and tests.

There are some people on the course who work almost full time hours, however they don't have time to eat, sleep or go to the bathroom. There are also people doing other qualifications alongside the course.

For university you need a good personal statement, it will be your chance to explain how well prepared you are for the course and why you want to do it. If you know what career you want to do at the end then having some knowledge or experience of what that entails shows you are committed.

Good luck.

well i dont want that haha. hmm i wonder, for people not working full-time, is there any financial support you can get? also are eligble for a student loan? thanks very much for all your help :smile:
Reply 1465
Original post by jami74
Poetry? Eugh. Rather you than me.

i know, i hate poetry, i hate english! i got an A* in my gcse's in 2006, i DO NOT NEED to do english but its 'compulsory' personally, i think the teacher is trying to justify her crap job :smile:
Reply 1466
well i dont want that haha. hmm i wonder, for people not working full-time, is there any financial support you can get? also are eligble for a student loan? thanks very much for all your help :smile:

There isn't any specific financial support for access courses yet I don't think (but it does keep changing so keep checking with your college) but some courses have concessions if you are on certain means tested benefits and you can get a student rail card. No student loan.

Each individual college is in charge of offering finance for access courses. At my college it was assessed on household income. They offered funding for travel costs to those living further than 1 mile from the campus and also a seperate fund to help with supplies, books etc. This money was awarded termly. It is what used to be called ALG I think. It isnt enough to live on but it is worth asking your college if your circumstances allow you to apply.

Also there are concessions available on the cost of the course. If you are classed as having low income it is often up to 50% cheaper. If you are recieving any form of government benefit or you are aged under 25 its free. I wasn't entitled to any finance during the course but I did get my course for free :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
6 lessons left. counting down the days! exam on monday! gah! anyone else have their english exam monday?

wow u only have that many lessons left RinniieX :smile:.I only had one exam on this course,the remainder were graded assignments.
Assignment update :smile:
I am about halfway through my 2nd to last graded assignment now.I need to print my first assignment out soon and give it in.
I have one more assignment to do after one i am currently doing and then thats me finished.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jami74
Only 4 more trips to college required for me (2 exam days, portfolio day and bye-bye/results day).

I'm not doing English but I have Maths next week. What do you do in an English exam?

From my experience english exam it was mainly read a short essay and answer questions related to it that type of thing.Best of luck with your remaining exams jami74.I am sure you will do well in them:smile:

I still have 2 more graded assignments to do before i finally finished the course.I just cant believe how quick its come and gone.
Best of luck at University jami74 and i really mean that :biggrin:
Reply 1470
Have to share, I am soooo thrilled, last Monday had my psychology exam, was really nervous came out think I had done crap. Got my results yesterday, 100% and Distinction. Absolutely thrilled.:eek:
Reply 1471
Original post by Soule
Have to share, I am soooo thrilled, last Monday had my psychology exam, was really nervous came out think I had done crap. Got my results yesterday, 100% and Distinction. Absolutely thrilled.:eek:

Yay, well done!

My last exam is in just over twelve hours, I've had enough of studying but really need to carry on. I want to feel like I gave it my best shot but I am short of time now.
Reply 1472
Original post by jami74
Yay, well done!

My last exam is in just over twelve hours, I've had enough of studying but really need to carry on. I want to feel like I gave it my best shot but I am short of time now.

Good luck. It is mad at present, exams, assignments all needing to get done.

We will get there, good luck with your exam
Reply 1473
Original post by Soule
Good luck. It is mad at present, exams, assignments all needing to get done.

We will get there, good luck with your exam

Thank-you Soule.

I have finished my exams! Other than the end of course assignment which just requires a piece of reflective writing (which I think I did back in September) and a list of results I have all finished. Phew, now I can sleep...

Bit sad about not having any more lessons with my classmates though.
Reply 1474
Original post by jami74
Thank-you Soule.

I have finished my exams! Other than the end of course assignment which just requires a piece of reflective writing (which I think I did back in September) and a list of results I have all finished. Phew, now I can sleep...

I have no more level 3 now, just level 2 to finish off, and I am finishing my last level 3 assignment tonight. It is very sad. but onto bigger and better things and the next stage of the adventure.
Original post by jami74
Thank-you Soule.

Had my last exam yesterday and all finished now too. It feels really odd now that i don't have any assignments on the go or exams to revise for. Feel a bit lost and also sad that i won't have anymore lessons with my class. I hope i enjoy uni just as much as i enjoyed doing my Access course!
Reply 1476
Original post by TheSarahJayne
Had my last exam yesterday and all finished now too. It feels really odd now that i don't have any assignments on the go or exams to revise for. Feel a bit lost and also sad that i won't have anymore lessons with my class. I hope i enjoy uni just as much as i enjoyed doing my Access course!

What uni are you going to? and what to study, i'm a nosey bugger aren't i haha
What uni are you going to? and what to study, i'm a nosey bugger aren't i haha

Should be going to Sunderland uni to study Pharmacy :smile:
All the best to those access students moving on to university in September 2012:biggrin:I am sure u will all have a great time whilst u there its not just about studying its about taking part in the various social activities etc
Access course update
just finishing my 2nd Access grade assignment now.One more left to do and thats me finished.
Original post by Soule
I have no more level 3 now, just level 2 to finish off, and I am finishing my last level 3 assignment tonight. It is very sad. but onto bigger and better things and the next stage of the adventure.

All the best to you Soule in your degree and Career and i really mean that:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending