The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RinniieX
what is everyone buying for their access courses! its been years since i was in uni! and i dont know what to buy! books? pads folders?

far to excited to start college! arggggggh!

It all depends on your course i suppose.

I personally am going to go a bit OTT organisation wise. With a baby who will be 6 weeks at the youngest when i start the course i cant afford to be digging through papers etc and i will need to be able to grab them quickly - you never know how long you've got with babies!

So i will be having a folder and a book for each subject. I'm studying Natural Sciences which is, Chemistry, Biology, Experimental Methods and General sciences with Enviromental science being studied in the second semester.

So will have 5-6 of each including study skills. I know it sounds like a lot to carry about but i wont be carrying all 6 in on the same day thank goodness!!

I've always found i've struggled more if i have one big folder for everything. It just gets all mixed up and i can never find anything when i need it.
I can highly recommend having a folder for each subject (a big sturdy ring binder). Also those coloured tab things that separate each section and lots of the clear plastic wallets. Obviously pens, pencil, ruler, coloured pencils, pencil case and paper (lined with a margin). Get a little notebook/diary that you can keep a record of homework/hand in dates as well. Scissors and glue can come in handy occassionally. If you're studying a subject involving maths a calculator. You may also need some graph paper but I wouldn't get this until youy know you'll need it. Anything else you can probably get as and when you know you need it (e.g. text books or subject specific things).
Original post by girlwithsharpteeth
I can highly recommend having a folder for each subject (a big sturdy ring binder). Also those coloured tab things that separate each section and lots of the clear plastic wallets. Obviously pens, pencil, ruler, coloured pencils, pencil case and paper (lined with a margin). Get a little notebook/diary that you can keep a record of homework/hand in dates as well. Scissors and glue can come in handy occassionally. If you're studying a subject involving maths a calculator. You may also need some graph paper but I wouldn't get this until youy know you'll need it. Anything else you can probably get as and when you know you need it (e.g. text books or subject specific things).

I don't feel quite as over the top with organisation now :smile: I also second an academic diary, am orgering mine on payday :biggrin:
Reply 143
I'm holding off buying anything for now because I'm sure the shops (Tesco/WHSmith etc) do things like 3 for 2 or 20% off stationary closer to September.
Thankyou for your congratulations people :biggrin:

I'm SO flippin excited! And a little nervous about money, but I'm sure we'll get by...

I'm also holding out on stationery, as I reckon Amazon will be doing deals on it closer to September. Looking forward to getting my hands on a nice Moleskin. I need to get out more...
Original post by missymorrison
I don't feel quite as over the top with organisation now :smile: I also second an academic diary, am orgering mine on payday :biggrin:

Most colleges give you an academic diary. If anyone's worrying about money and think they need to buy one.

Although, I'll be getting my own because my college ones are tiny.
One crucial piece of advice I would give students is to buy the Access to HE text books. They truly helped me get the grades required for uni. And also, buy/take out all the textbooks that your tutor recommends - DO NOT just rely on the internet if you want Merits/Distinctions!

After a quick google search, you can get the Access to HE books for more than half their original prices on Amazon:

The Essentials of Access to HE: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0748785825/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1310806409&sr=8-3&condition=used

Access to HE social sciences: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/074878585X/ref=sr_1_4_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1310806409&sr=8-4&condition=used

They also have loads of other really cheap textbooks on Amazon from which I bought most of my books!

Good luck peeps x
Reply 147
Original post by Exeter2ndyear
One crucial piece of advice I would give students is to buy the Access to HE text books. They truly helped me get the grades required for uni. And also, buy/take out all the textbooks that your tutor recommends - DO NOT just rely on the internet if you want Merits/Distinctions!

After a quick google search, you can get the Access to HE books for more than half their original prices on Amazon:

The Essentials of Access to HE: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0748785825/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&qid=1310806409&sr=8-3&condition=used

Access to HE social sciences: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/074878585X/ref=sr_1_4_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1310806409&sr=8-4&condition=used

They also have loads of other really cheap textbooks on Amazon from which I bought most of my books!

Good luck peeps x

Fabfabfabfab! thank you for the book suggestions!
Reply 148
In Scotland they have what is called a SWAP scheme to enable mature Students to do an access course and provided they get certain grades a Guaranteed Place at a number of Universities ( St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh included)

I am going to do An Access to Humanities program at either Edinburgh University or Forth Valley College.

The application process : Edinburgh University - filled a form out and offered a place without an interview. I had completed a 5 week "learning afresh" pre-access course for 5 weeks in April/May and this may have influenced the decision. I honestly think they forgot about me as when I phoned in June after not hearing anything about an interview they said more interviews were being arranged soon.Two days later I got the letter offering the place without any interview.

Study Process: Begins Mid-September 2 half days per week plus 20hours self -study per week.

Exam/Marking - Nothing from Sept-Dec , Jan-June assessment and exams

Progression - guarantee of a conditional offer at Edinburgh (require 4 B's ???)

Forth Valley College: Filled out an application form - group interview had to complete a travel exercise (booking a w/e trip to paris) using a Computer with other applicants.
Had to do an essay 1 side A4 why I want to do this course and why now?

Offered a place (day after)

Had to complete some literacy and numeracy tests on a computer - I got level four in both and have not studied for thirty years !!!

Study Process: Three and a half days per week Mon-Thu starting late August/Early September.

Exam/Marking: Assessment and Exams sounds like many others Merits Distinctions etc
Progression - as Edinburgh with a few more Universities tapped on.(provided you get the required marks)

The University Course seems more "academic" if that is the correct word to use -more intensive study of fewer subjects. The Forth Valley College is more like school with seven or eight subjects.

However on the Finance side the College wins hands down:

No Fees
No Council Tax (classified as full time)
Grant of up to £79 per week
Help with transport fares
Help with housing costs

If I get all the above it will be more than I will get if I get into University next year-crazy or what ???

I must admit if all things were equal I would prefer the University Course (foot in the door and all that)

However I should get notification of my financial award from the College in Mid-August and the University Course starts later so I luckily I have the luxury of awaiting the outcome before making a final decision.
Original post by Exeter2ndyear

Good luck peeps x

My friend didnt have any of those recommend books Exeter2ndyear and he managed to pass his Access to He course and get into university fine,each to his own i guess maybe he used the college library books to get through.
:smile:
Original post by Butts2516
In Scotland they have what is called a SWAP scheme to enable mature Students to do an access course and provided they get certain grades a Guaranteed Place at a number of Universities ( St Andrews, Glasgow and Edinburgh included)

I am going to do An Access to Humanities program at either Edinburgh University or Forth Valley College.

The application process : Edinburgh University - filled a form out and offered a place without an interview. I had completed a 5 week "learning afresh" pre-access course for 5 weeks in April/May and this may have influenced the decision. I honestly think they forgot about me as when I phoned in June after not hearing anything about an interview they said more interviews were being arranged soon.Two days later I got the letter offering the place without any interview.

Study Process: Begins Mid-September 2 half days per week plus 20hours self -study per week.

Exam/Marking - Nothing from Sept-Dec , Jan-June assessment and exams

Progression - guarantee of a conditional offer at Edinburgh (require 4 B's ???)

Forth Valley College: Filled out an application form - group interview had to complete a travel exercise (booking a w/e trip to paris) using a Computer with other applicants.
Had to do an essay 1 side A4 why I want to do this course and why now?

Offered a place (day after)

Had to complete some literacy and numeracy tests on a computer - I got level four in both and have not studied for thirty years !!!

Study Process: Three and a half days per week Mon-Thu starting late August/Early September.

Exam/Marking: Assessment and Exams sounds like many others Merits Distinctions etc
Progression - as Edinburgh with a few more Universities tapped on.(provided you get the required marks)

The University Course seems more "academic" if that is the correct word to use -more intensive study of fewer subjects. The Forth Valley College is more like school with seven or eight subjects.

However on the Finance side the College wins hands down:

No Fees
No Council Tax (classified as full time)
Grant of up to £79 per week
Help with transport fares
Help with housing costs

If I get all the above it will be more than I will get if I get into University next year-crazy or what ???

I must admit if all things were equal I would prefer the University Course (foot in the door and all that)

However I should get notification of my financial award from the College in Mid-August and the University Course starts later so I luckily I have the luxury of awaiting the outcome before making a final decision.

I have always though and are of a opinion that scotland has a way better education system than what we have in the Uk Butts2516 i mean for one thing students go to university at 17 years of age instead of 18 years in the uk,the average length of time spent in scotland doing a degree is four years compared to ours which is only 3 years.We need to take a leaf out of scotlands education system me thinks but thats my opinion.
Reply 151
I agree Wizardtop speaking as an Englishman who lives in Scotland.

Have you any views on the difference between a University run Access Course and a College run one ?
I have an interview!:biggrin: There was a slight mix up with my emails (all my own fault) but the college were really helpful. So I now have to wait until next week.
I have just applied for an access course, hope I'm not to late.
Hoping to do a science route, however my college only offer a general access course, with an overall aim to go to university to study Chemical Engineering.
Original post by twinkle.twinkle
I have just applied for an access course, hope I'm not to late.
Hoping to do a science route, however my college only offer a general access course, with an overall aim to go to university to study Chemical Engineering.

Is never too late twinkle.twinkle (not til the course starts anyway :tongue: )

Good luck and i hope you get in :smile: i'm so excited!
Original post by Butts2516
I agree Wizardtop speaking as an Englishman who lives in Scotland.

Have you any views on the difference between a University run Access Course and a College run one ?

having only done a college run Access course Butts2516 my viewpoint is this.I am sure doing a University run Access course you would have the vast university resources available to possiable like their library and IT facilities

You would also have the lecturers themselves who could also give u a clear insight into university degress they teach on,you would still be better prepared to do a degree like u are doing a college Access course , however one extra bonus is that doing a university lead Access course would be more specifically geared towards a certain degree i would think at that particular university or other universities as i never done a university lead one,i would have thought maybe one of the advantages this type of Access course has over College based ones is maybe they have links with the local universities in that if u successfully pass the university lead one you will get a interview at a university,could be wrong here so again just generalising for the most point.

However if you want more variety doing a college run one you arnt restricted to some extent really
They both have their advantages and disadvantages Butts 2516 some Access students prefer to do a college lead Access course whilst others do the university lead one,it really depends for the most part what you want out of a particular Access course.

As they still which ever one you do prepare you for university study and get you upto the required academic level in one year unless you do it over two years,the part-time option which some Access students do every year

I have only know College related Access course so i am just generalise a bit on the university lead Access courses Butts 2516 but i am sure they have their uses as well.
Reply 156
Just got back from the screening. It was hard work and I was completely unprepared. Thought the tests would be easy. It started off with the tutor explaining to us what the course was about. We were then asked to write a 10 minute piece on a hobby which was fine. Next came the tests. We were told 80% was a pass, but if you scored over 70 you would be considered. The first test was english and I struggled lol. I'm 22 and haven't done this since GCSE. I did get AA in lit and lang though, but I had forgotten a lot. Couldn't remember what passive verbs were and struggled with some of the punctuation. Fortunately, i managed to scrape through with 81%. There were around 10 of us in the class and i don't believe that anyone else managed the pass mark. A few between 70-80 and the person sat next to me only got 52. The maths test was much easier I got 98 in that.

Didn't realise the failure rate would be so high for entry to the course !
Original post by Cyclo
Just got back from the screening. It was hard work and I was completely unprepared. Thought the tests would be easy. It started off with the tutor explaining to us what the course was about. We were then asked to write a 10 minute piece on a hobby which was fine. Next came the tests. We were told 80% was a pass, but if you scored over 70 you would be considered. The first test was english and I struggled lol. I'm 22 and haven't done this since GCSE. I did get AA in lit and lang though, but I had forgotten a lot. Couldn't remember what passive verbs were and struggled with some of the punctuation. Fortunately, i managed to scrape through with 81%. There were around 10 of us in the class and i don't believe that anyone else managed the pass mark. A few between 70-80 and the person sat next to me only got 52. The maths test was much easier I got 98 in that.

Didn't realise the failure rate would be so high for entry to the course !

The English part worries me a little, I'll be fine with maths. Hopefully though as I want to go down a science path it will be more focused on maths as apossed to English.
Also just a quick question, as I said above I've applied for an acces course. I've also applied for a HEFC and was wondering what the differance is.
Original post by twinkle.twinkle
The English part worries me a little.....as apossed to English.

I can see why it might worry you a bit :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending