The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Is working in retail really this bad?
Reply 81
Original post by thecookiemonster
eh? why are you obliged to help out lol? just leave when your shift ends, you dont need to stick around any longer than your contracted hours.

where do you work?

At CoOp. Not obliged by the job, more by the people. I couldn't leave both ladies who are close to retiring :/ "Ohh, you're young and strong, could you just do this?" No I'm not. The delivery people tend to take pity on me and help out though :smile:
Reply 82
Original post by bloomblaze
Does it not occur to people that you are possibly a student/part timer and that Mcd's is only a weekend job, not your career?

Customers have been doing the same to me for years.

You'd think wouldn't you?

There was no need for him to be so rude! Maybe it's because I just acted stupid at work :dontknow:.
Reply 83
Original post by ihatebrownbread
Is working in retail really this bad?

I'd say 9 out of 10 people are perfectly OK - its just the one customer every now and again that drives you up the wall :biggrin:
I hated working in retail because the general public just LOVE to complain! Even if they aren't sure if they're right...but then comes the satisfaction of proving them wrong, which lasts for a while until another miserable customer comes in and ruins your day.
Never again -_-
Original post by Zottula
Gosh yeah, that is really annoying. When I used to work in McDonalds a customer once asked me if I enjoyed working in McDonalds and I said "well...it's ok I guess" and he replied with "aaah never mind, I guess it's not your fault you're too stupid for a real career."

Wow that customer was rude :/
Oh and I forgot DRUNK customers! at about 3 o clock they come in pissed and complaining about petty little things!!!
Reply 87
Original post by TheSownRose
Everyone wants exact change. Where do you think we get exact change from? Someone has to have the notes!

Yes, but it's the same people every day! It's not good because when I work it's the early morning shift and due to there being not much change in the till you start to panic.
Reply 88
Original post by chux
People who order the most ridiculous, complicated, OTT coffees with 400 modifications JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN.

Oh, and people who refuse to pause their phone conversation whilst ordering, consequently screw up their order and then have a go at you for making what they asked for.

This!!! So many times this!
I used to love my old retail job, it was a little shop in a touristy area and most people were regulars or tourists and really nice. There was the odd person who'd drive you up the wall but mostly nice. I used to get some people in thinking that because I worked in a shop I had no education and was stupid - I find it really hard to hold my tongue when people start that!!!

Now I have just started working in a cash and carry type shop 2 weeks ago and I really don't like it. Not enough to quit, I've been unemployed for 6 months but still! Mostly I hate not knowing what to do, it's the kind of place where a manager tells you what you're doing for the day and then say "Come back to me when you have that done and I'll get you something else to do". I just hate having to ask if there's anything to do! That and customers obviously. Some people complain about the price and we sell stuff really cheap! Like there are these designer shoes just now normally priced from £335-£625 and we sell them at £44 - someone complained that it was expensive (which of course is my fault). We also got cheap iPads in and someone complained that they weren't iPad 2s :angry: They're like £150 less than in a normal shop!?

It's ironic, the first job I get that I don't like is after I graduate...
Reply 90
Original post by T-go
Why does that annoy you?

It annoys me as well - because at the end of the day I have to put all the items idiots decide the don't want back on the shelf, and it's especially annoying when you they suddenly decide they don't want plates and mugs that you have wrapped up in brown paper for them :angry:
Reply 91
Original post by LoveErinxo
I work in a jewellery shop. All in all, I absolutely love my job. I love the people I work with, I love my hours. But when someone walks up to my till with a ****ing voucher, I want to throw whatever they're buying in their face. They're so difficult to put through our tills. And then they stand there all impatient looking while I go through the million and twelve steps it takes to correctly cash a voucher, and I'm like... don't look at me like that. It's your fault. Is the £2.50 you're saving on this really worth it? Really?
I also hate when people pay in cash, because we run out of change really quickly where I work, and because most people pay on their cards, me and my co workers then have to spend the next five minutes going through our own purses, trying to make up the change our tills are missing.
I really do love my job though. It's just that the things that irritate me, really irritate me!

Yes, of course saving £2.50 is worth it, only a retard would say 'this worker may be a bit annoyed at the strenuous task of processing this voucher, so i'll spend money which i could spend on other things, to save this paid employee some aggro.

Someone needs to be taught some money management is my verdict.
Original post by damos92
Yes, of course saving £2.50 is worth it, only a retard would say 'this worker may be a bit annoyed at the strenuous task of processing this voucher, so i'll spend money which i could spend on other things, to save this paid employee some aggro.

I agree. If you don't have much money, saving £2.50 is actually quite a lot. I hate people that have so much money that they don't appreciate the true value of it.

It's the same as this other user I saw in another thread moaning about customers who come in at the end of the day and buy all the reduced stuff- ever considered that maybe they do this cos they don't have much money? :rolleyes:
Original post by lechaton-x
1. You fold your money into a centimeter square? :lolwhut:
2. We have signs. Usually loads of them.
3. My name is spelled Deanna. It's pronounced 'Dee-na'
4. In my Co-Op they make us. We're also trained in bag packing. :wink:

I almost feel the need to apologise because my name is also Deanna, but is pronounced "Dee-anna". :tongue: I wonder if we've been getting the same customers and have confused them with the two pronunciations. :holmes:
Original post by damos92

Can I just point out that when I wrote that, I'd had a really bad day at work. I'm honestly not that much of a bitch!
I do not need to be taught money management, though, I definitely understand struggling for money. I can't afford the jewellery at the shop I work in even with a 75% discount. The customers I get in are rich. The shop's in a posh area, and if you can afford to spend £185 on a pair of earrings, usually you can spare the £2.50. I do agree though, I was way over the top in that post. The customers have no idea how difficult it is to put a voucher through our weirdly designed tills and I shouldn't expect them to pay an extra £2.50 just because I can't work the machine.
Reply 95
Original post by LoveErinxo
Can I just point out that when I wrote that, I'd had a really bad day at work. I'm honestly not that much of a bitch!
I do not need to be taught money management, though, I definitely understand struggling for money. I can't afford the jewellery at the shop I work in even with a 75% discount. The customers I get in are rich. The shop's in a posh area, and if you can afford to spend £185 on a pair of earrings, usually you can spare the £2.50. I do agree though, I was way over the top in that post. The customers have no idea how difficult it is to put a voucher through our weirdly designed tills and I shouldn't expect them to pay an extra £2.50 just because I can't work the machine.

Fair enough :smile:
Reply 96
Britain is the worst country in the world to work in Retail/Dealing with customers because British just love to complaint, they think that they're best in the world and everything should be fed to them with the golden spoon.

Im actually British.
Original post by Zottula
Gosh yeah, that is really annoying. When I used to work in McDonalds a customer once asked me if I enjoyed working in McDonalds and I said "well...it's ok I guess" and he replied with "aaah never mind, I guess it's not your fault you're too stupid for a real career."

I guess it's not his fault he's too stupid to realise he's insulting someone who's in charge of his food.
Reply 98
Original post by MXz
- Customers that smell... I mean jeez is it too much trouble to wash once a month
- Screaming kids and parents that refuse to control them
- Arrogant morons that think they know it all... believe it or not one customer argued and wouldn't leave for half an hour over the Data Protection Act FFS!!

As for disrespectful customers, well in my last job I told a guy he can get lost after he started swearing at me - he complained and my manager turned round and told him the same thing and he's not welcome if he speaks to people like that :smile:

And I'd do it again today, but I'll never be abusive about it... and they can sack if they like, I'll just sue them in an employment tribunal for degrading treatment - there's no way in hell I'll tolerate being spoken to like a piece of crap on someone's shoe, treat others as you wish to be treated

Oh, and F@&* the customer, I'm always right :P joke*

I work as a lifeguard, the smell isnt a problem obviously, but the other two are really a nuiscance. The other thing which annoys me is people who jsut leave rubbish lying on the floor, especially nappies. Bins are there for a reason!!!
Ohhhhhh I can almost smell the venom there! :biggrin: :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending