The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JasonGenova
x

I really want to rep you but unfortunately i've run out...
Amazing replies - I can never seem to muster up enough willpower to attempt such a long post!

This is very slightly off-topic, but I've often thought about what the Gurus would think of today's Sikhs - they tried to get rid of blind faith and all those meaningless rituals but that is what many Sikhs are doing nowadays! If someone like Guru Nanak Dev ji was born today, would they view Sikhs in the same way that Guru ji viewed the Hindus/Muslims of his time who were blindly following everyone else?
Original post by KaurPrincess
I really want to rep you but unfortunately i've run out...
Amazing replies - I can never seem to muster up enough willpower to attempt such a long post!

This is very slightly off-topic, but I've often thought about what the Gurus would think of today's Sikhs - they tried to get rid of blind faith and all those meaningless rituals but that is what many Sikhs are doing nowadays! If someone like Guru Nanak Dev ji was born today, would they view Sikhs in the same way that Guru ji viewed the Hindus/Muslims of his time who were blindly following everyone else?

Yeah, I think he'd be disappointed. But I'm also sure that Guru Nanak wouldn't go off into a corner and shake his head in disappointment all day long. I mean this in the best/most respectable kind of way, but aside from being a fierce revolutionary (you can sense the passion and fire in his Banis, especially those pertaining to Babur), Guru Nanak was also kind of a troll at heart. I couldn't stop laughing when I read that one satirical Pauri of his about the sugar cane being punished. He was poking fun at the Yogis and Pandits who refused to eat meat because they thought it made them better than everyone else. That story of him throwing water in the opposite direction from everyone else almost made me fall out of my chair. He used humor to show people just how silly some of their beliefs were. He would take the piss out of most Sikhs if he were here today. Guru Nanak's trolling was Golden Gains level (only miscers will understand that reference). He lived through some of the worst times India had ever seen and never lost his sense of humor. That is why I love him. So many religious leaders get their panties in a twist over the slightest things (can't eat this, can't eat that, have to pray like this, don't do this and you will burn forever lol), Nanak seemed very human and appreciated the wonders of life more than anyone else I have come across. He did not take what he had been given for granted, but at the same time, knew how to let loose and have fun as well. He could laugh at others AND even himself sometimes, something severely lacking in a lot of religions. A true example of Chardi Kala.
I'm not religious in the slightest and am very committed to my atheistic beliefs. A militant atheist if you wish to put a label on it.

However, I out of all the theistic religions, I find Sikhism to be not only most tolerable, but also the most admirable. By a long mile.

Amongst many other qualities, you: are always lovely people, honourably care and respect for your elders, have a good sense of morals and values, are very respectful and tolerant to other religions, have an enviable sense of community cohesion and contribution, and always come across as being very passionate for the causes that you believe in.

I've honestly never met a Sikh that I don't like, and I don't think that boils down to coincidence. I really don't mean to provoke others reading this, but I think many religions and religious people could take a leaf out of Sikhism's book and the teachings that benefit its followers.

I was really shocked to discover the other day that it only has ~25m followers and only contributes to ~0.35% of the worlds population. Given how admirable I am of Sikhs, I found this to be really surprising, I actually had to cross-reference it a few times because I was in actual disbelief.

When it comes to religion, you're setting a great example. Keep it up :smile:
x

Hi Jason :smile:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you do not consider the belief in a supernatural God to be a core tenet of Sikhism. Could you please elaborate on this point?
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Hi Jason :smile:

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like you do not consider the belief in a supernatural God to be a core tenet of Sikhism. Could you please elaborate on this point?

You are correct :biggrin:

Here's my take on things: The Gurus were not 'prophets' or 'messengers' (no such thing exists within Sikhi), but teachers. But not just teachers, they were students too! Students of life, students of the Ek (I will use this instead of 'God', because God is not our word and it carries over too much baggage from Abrahamic philosophy). On Vaisakhi 1699, not only did Guru Gobind Singh ji give Amrit to the 5 pyare, he also got down on his knee and took Amrit from their hands as well. "Waho waho Gobind Singh aape gur chela". (Hail! Hail! Gobind Singh; he himself is the teacher, and the disciple too."

Many physicists like Carl Sagan, Einstein and NDT share the Sikh view on the universe. It is marked by deep humility, reduction of ego and excitement for seeking deeper understanding. They are Sikhs of the cosmos. I was very inspired by their views well before I came into Sikhi and even today use a blend of the two philosophies.

The way the Gurus look at the universe is actually similar to how Einstein describes it (emphasis mine):

I prefer an attitude of humility corresponding to the weakness of our intellectual understanding of nature and of our own being. The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.

This is the foundation of Sikhism. We try to reason Wahe Guru and through out the SGGS, you will encounter profound humility from the Gurus and the Bhagats that leaves them in awe ("wah") of the ultimate teacher ("guru").

The cornerstone of Sikhi is the concept of 'Oneness' and can be realized without the need for a God/divine creator of any sorts. Unlike other religions which put Earth in the center of the universe or made up creation stories to explain the origins of man (which also mentioned how humans were favored by God over all other beings), Guru Nanak Dev ji and his successors came to the realization that this planet is just a tiny drop in an unimaginably large cosmic ocean (see: Japji Sahib), that humans were not created in a special way by God, we are connected with all life on Earth and in fact, all life in the universe is connected together. You don't need God to come to this realization (although it should be pointed out that Sikhi isn't necessarily against belief in a supernatural God either), all you need is a rational, questioning mind and to get rid of your ego and take humans off our self-construed pedestal. The Gurus had and did all those things.
This video is 10 minutes long but it is definitely worth watching.
He talks about feeling big when you look up at the night sky (we are all connected, we came from those stars and have no reason to feel small), he talks about ego, he talks about how this feeling of connectivity is almost religious and spiritual. Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RjW5-4IiSc

After watching it, reflect on this excerpt from Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji:

So many worlds beyond this world-so very many! What power! What fascinating beauty! There are planets, solar systems and galaxies. If one speaks of them, there is no limit, no end. O Nanak, to describe this is as hard as steel! The Creation is in the Creator, and the Creator is in the Creation, totally pervading and permeating all places. There is only one breath; all are made of the same clay; the light within all is the same. One who sees that Light within each and every heart understands the Essence of the Guru's Teachings.

The Gurus said that we are all a part of the Ek and Ek Oankar is a part of us. We are all connected because the light of the Ek is in each and every heart. Modern science has now shown us that all of life really is connected, we are a part of this universe and the universe is a part of us, the atoms in our bodies come from stars, so when you look up at the night sky, don't feel small- feel big, because what's out there and what's in you is essentially the same.

If I read the Guru Granth Sahib from a 'naturalist' POV- then for me, nature is the "EK" . And I haven't had any problems, I've yet to come across a shabad (hymn/poetic composition) which cannot be interpreted in this manner. So if you don't believe in a supernatural deity, fair enough, because I don't think you need to and it is not necessary. Once again, read Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji with your own heart and see where it leads you. Guru Gobind Singh ji said that everyone will describe Ek Oankar differently according to their own understanding, Sikhi allows for free-thought, don't feel like you need to follow the masses if it is not something you agree with.

Tell me this isn't beautiful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU

"We are in
this universe, we are a part of this universe, but perhaps more importantly than
both those facts, the universe is in us."

"Some people, when they look up
at the night sky, they feel small. But I feel big, because my atoms came from
those stars. There is a sense of connectivity."

Which part of that
isn't in line with Sikh teachings?

The Gurus were basically saying the exact same thing, except in a different manner using terminology that would have been familiar to their audience (Hindus and Muslims).

One last thing before I end this- I don't want anything to think that Sikhi is against belief in God. Not at all! As I already pointed out, Guru Gobind Singh ji said that everyone will describe God differently according to their own understanding. In my own case, one day I might have no belief in the supernatural and change my mind the next. Heck, there are days where I wake up not believing in God and go to sleep with faith. Maybe one day, with more life experience, I will have a better idea of just what it is that I believe in. Right now, I'm fine with not knowing. All I know for sure is that I want to live a Guru-centric lifestyle. And you can do this whether you believe in a God or not.
For those who may not have gotten it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9D05ej8u-gU

"We are in
this universe, we are a part of this universe, but perhaps more importantly than
both those facts, the universe is in us
." (Neil deGrasse Tyson).

"Some people, when they look up
at the night sky, they feel small. But I feel big, because my atoms came from
those stars. There is a sense of connectivity."

Which part of that
isn't in line with Sikh teachings?

The Creation is in the Creator, and the Creator is in the Creation, totally pervading and permeating all places. (Guru Granth Sahib).
Leaving the debate of whether Dasam Granth is even a reliable source of Sikh philosophy for another day, I will even ignore the fact that none of the points you have just made are actually supported by Guru GRANTH Sahib- our ONLY Guru and eternal guide. Because what you've just stated above is rooted in a deeper issue which has plagued the Panth for generations now, and it needs to be addressed.

The layman will read the Guru Granth Sahib (heck, even Dasam Granth) and probably come to the conclusion that Sikhi is "like a mix of everything" (as we've had users say just a few pages back). Sikhs will hear this and immediately jump to the defence of Sikhi, insisting that it is a separate path, free from Hindu and Muslim influences. These same Sikhs will then turn around and start propagating belief in (traditional) reincarnation and karma (as a supernatural law). You will even get some who think that because the Gurus were referring to Hindu mythology in their poetry, that this means they were also acknowledging their existence and, as a result, begin to believe in them. You also have others who may not believe in the Hindu mythology, but will attempt to elevate the Gurus to an almost demi-God/God-incarnate level, because they don't want the Hindus and Christians to have all the fun in that domain. They will simultaneously profess belief in angels, slightly modified versions of heaven & hell (I've had Sikhs tell me I am going to go to hell before. LMAO I was like LMAO), and their perception of God is EXTREMELY Abrahamic and nothing like what the Gurus had actually said. They attempt to read the SGGS ji as a rule book, take everything literally (as a Muslim may do with the Qur'an), failing to realize that this was not the Granth's intended purpose. Is it any wonder people think that "Sikhism is like a mix of everything" and that "omg it's like all over the place" when Sikhs themselves do such a horrendous job of recognizing the Granth for what it truly is?

Trying to understand the Guru Granth Sahib in the same way a Christian may try to understand the Bible or a Muslim the Qur'an is a recipe for failure. Another forum I occasionally frequent had an individual, not too far back, come onto there and say something about how he/she was trying really hard to follow all the 'rules' needed to be a Sikh because they liked Sikhi a lot and wanted to be a Sikh but were finding it difficult because they had to keep it a secret or weren't getting support from their family/friends, or something along those lines. One of the other users put in a great reply which has stuck with me since and it went like this (I paraphrase): "stop worrying so much about what to eat, what not to eat, how to pray, when to pray, what 'rules' to follow and instead start following the path of the saints, which is extremely similar no matter which religion you choose to be a part of."

That stuck with me and a few weeks ago I was having a discussion about it with another friend. They went even further and said (paraphrase): "if you look closely enough, you'll notice that each of the major religions and pretty much every cultural tradition around the world has at least one mystic breakaway which takes the focus off fasting, ritualism and dogma and places it instead on love, inner peace and individual spirituality (Islam has Sufism, Judaism has Kabblah, Christianity has Christian Mysticism, Hinduism has Bhakhti and Buddhism has Zen). But the really interesting thing is that Sikhi is perhaps the only major religion in the world which does not have one of these mystic break-aways itself, simply because there is no need for one; the faith itself was founded by mystics and their mystical poetry was preserved by themselves in what is now the central text of Sikhi (SGGS ji). There was never any need for later figures to come along and give a more mystical/spiritual spin to the religion because the entire philosophy itself has been mystic, right from the beginning. The message of the GGS ji is universal and can be appreciated/applied by people from every faith and those who have none at all. We also need to realize that mystics from other faith traditions had been spreading a similar message, which is why the Gurus didn't claim exclusivity".
I believe we need to start interpreting SGGS ji from this position of universal spirituality, and it is also the best way to counter dogmatic literalist interpretations of the Bani. It also destroys every argument of how Sikhi is a mix of Islam and Hinduism. Because if we understand SGGS ji from a mystical POV, then it becomes clear that their use of Islamic/Hindu terminology was NOT because they supported those concepts, but because it was the best way of communicating with the (largely) Hindu and Muslim masses. They were simply putting across their message by "speaking the language of the people."

Had the Gurus been from any other part of the world, the underlying message in SGGS ji would have been exactly the same; the only difference would have been the terminology used to put it across.

This manner of interpretation also provides the most internal consistency and satisfies the rule of Occam's razor. It is the simplest, does not depend on the existence of anything supernatural and thus, is almost certainly correct.

So many points I agree with but so many I do not. I admire the well thought out and long responses. :smile:
You are correct :biggrin:

Here's my take on things....

Thanks for the thorough response. As someone who's interested in panentheism, I'm quite sympathetic to your viewpoint. NDT is awesome! Check put this video featuring Sagan, Feynman and NDT.

Interestingly, there are some concepts in modern physics which seem to imply that the material world as we know it, may not be the 'ultimate' reality. For example, the mainstream approaches to quantum gravity suggest that space, time and energy may be emergent properties of something even more 'fundamental'. Could this be God/Ek/universal consciousness? We don't know! To quote Feynman: "I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's; She's never going to let us relax". :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Yo bro, I came across your spiritual crisis thread. So let's get to the bottom of this. You say you don't believe in God. I'm sure there are others on here (maybe lurkers) who are from Sikh families, have a hard time accepting the existence of a God and thus, feel like they do not belong in the Panth. Any discussion with you will help others as well. Let us begin:What is your understanding of 'God' in the context of Sikh philosophy?

Hi :smile: sorry for the late response, iv been really busy with uni currently :biggrin:

My understanding of god is probably a being or a force thats beyond human, a passive creative force I guess. Yes this does tie in with sikhism very well but not with my current understanding of the universe from a scientific perspective
i tend to think about it as God = nature/laws of nature, since words like 'kudrat' are used quite a bit to describe Vaheguru...
Original post by KaurPrincess
i tend to think about it as God = nature/laws of nature, since words like 'kudrat' are used quite a bit to describe Vaheguru...

I get what you mean and that would encompass my own thoughts of god as well. But I also believe the Granth talks about god being a benevolent force
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Thanks for the thorough response. As someone who's interested in panentheism, I'm quite sympathetic to your viewpoint. NDT is awesome! Check put this video featuring Sagan, Feynman and NDT.

Interestingly, there are some concepts in modern physics which seem to imply that the material world as we know it, may not be the 'ultimate' reality. For example, the mainstream approaches to quantum gravity suggest that space, time and energy may be emergent properties of something even more 'fundamental'. Could this be God/Ek/universal consciousness? We don't know! To quote Feynman: "I think nature's imagination is so much greater than man's; She's never going to let us relax". :smile:

Its possible, although too early to tell for sure. I've read quite a bit about the cosmic consciousness theory and am interested to see where it will go in the future. The 21st century is going to see some great advancements in scientific knowledge :biggrin:

One tid bit I want to point out though- with regards to science, I get the feeling that sometime in the not-too-distant-past (like around Einstein's era), scientisits were (genereally) humble individuals, standing awe at the majesty and wonder of the natural world. That has changed considerably over the years, and this man puts it much better than I ever could:

When I decided on a scientific career, one of the things that appealed to me about science was the modesty of its practitioners. The typical scientist seemed to be a person who knew one small corner of the natural world and knew it very well, better than most other human beings living and better even than most who had ever lived. But outside of their circumscribed areas of expertise, scientists would hesitate to express an authoritative opinion. This attitude was attractive precisely because it stood in sharp contrast to the arrogance of the philosophers of the positivist tradition, who claimed for science and its practitioners a broad authority with which many practicing scientists themselves were uncomfortable.

The temptation to overreach, however, seems increasingly indulged today in discussions about science. Both in the work of professional philosophers and in popular writings by natural scientists, it is frequently claimed that natural science does or soon will constitute the entire domain of truth. And this attitude is becoming more widespread among scientists themselves. All too many of my contemporaries in science have accepted without question the hype that suggests that an advanced degree in some area of natural science confers the ability to pontificate wisely on any and all subjects.

http://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/the-folly-of-scientism

The eternal drive for knowledge is one of the cornerstones of humanity, and it is beautiful, yet the flip side of the coin is that at every scientific period, we tend to think that we have the basics all figured out. We believe that the current physics and quantum mechanics laws of nature are unshakable. Not to discredit science and its pursuits, but every preceding generation of thinkers also held their beliefs set in stone, until the next discovery upturned our understanding of the world on its head. Thus, is it really so inconceivable that our presumed mastery of the world is still greatly exaggerated, our postulates are liable for error to be revealed via yet-unknown methods, and we are controlled by forces we have not yet begun to fathom? It's no reason to dethrone every scientific achievement, but IMO it's enough to curb blanket skepticism and to allow the very real possibility that the scientific pursuit simply has not advanced far enough at this point of history to definitively tell us what we must dismiss as fully impossible.

Even though my beliefs regarding the supernatural are probably the same as those of most agnostic atheists, it is not a group I wish to associate with any longer (I did so in the past), namely because of a prevalent sense of superiority over those with religious/spiritual inclinations. Spirituality is widely regarded as a disease or 'weakness' which needs to be eliminated for the betterment of mankind. Atheists fail to realize that humans are not one-dimensional automatons. I would even argue that it is our inclination towards a connection with our fellow beings (often through spiritual means) which gives us our very humanity. Rigid/dogmatic atheism is just as boring, robotic and unnatural as rigid/dogmatic religiosity.
Original post by Proud_Student
Hi :smile: sorry for the late response, iv been really busy with uni currently :biggrin:

My understanding of god is probably a being or a force thats beyond human, a passive creative force I guess. Yes this does tie in with sikhism very well but not with my current understanding of the universe from a scientific perspective

If I told you that the Ek Oankar of Guru Nanak was simply a reference to nature (without anything supernatural), would you agree or disagree with me?
is there a sikh soc in durham uni
If I told you that the Ek Oankar of Guru Nanak was simply a reference to nature (without anything supernatural), would you agree or disagree with me?

I would disagree with you, from what the Guru Granth describes its more than nature.
Original post by Proud_Student
I would disagree with you, from what the Guru Granth describes its more than nature.

Apologies for the late reply.

This conundrum can actually be resolved quite easily. What is the concept of God in Sikhi based upon? What is the most concise 'description' of God Sikhs have as reference? The answer to both of those is Guru Nanak Sahib's Mool Mantar: Ek Oankar SatNam Karta-Purakh Nirbhau Nirvair Akaal-Moorat Ajoone Saibhang Gurprusad....

In plain English: There is One supreme entity, it is the supreme Truth, it is responsible for everything, beyond fear (i.e. is the highest/most powerful of all), it beyond hatred, beyond birth and death (ever-lasting), self-existent, can be realized by Guru's Grace.

Which part of that does not apply to nature?
Reply 2476
Apologies for the late reply.

This conundrum can actually be resolved quite easily. What is the concept of God in Sikhi based upon? What is the most concise 'description' of God Sikhs have as reference? The answer to both of those is Guru Nanak Sahib's Mool Mantar: Ek Oankar SatNam Karta-Purakh Nirbhau Nirvair Akaal-Moorat Ajoone Saibhang Gurprusad....

In plain English: There is One supreme entity, it is the supreme Truth, it is responsible for everything, beyond fear (i.e. is the highest/most powerful of all), it beyond hatred, beyond birth and death (ever-lasting), self-existent, can be realized by Guru's Grace.

Why would the Gurus write poems mentioning the mercy of God, for example? :beard:
It's nice to see this place so alive, really interesting discussions. I've been a bit busy but I'm looking to get involved in more of the discussions.

A nice article:

http://www.sikhnet.com/news/prayer-humility

This is a supernatural description. Nature by definition encompasses everything in it including birth and death, fear and hatred. To talk of a supreme being and to be "beyond" these natural phenomena is postulating something above nature. So it's really not very hard to see why virtually every Sikh believes in God based on these fundamental tenets.
what is khalistan ?

Latest

Trending

Trending