The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Vaheguru ji ka Khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki Fateh!!

154 pages/3080 posts later I read through it all!!!

Love this Sikh Society!! Keep it live :smile: XD
Sooooo....

I meant to respond to Jason a good few months ago. I am back! got caught up with work and uni so life's a mess currently. But going on from our previous discussion, I did do some soul searching and I came to the conclusion I am an Atheist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sōsuke Aizen
Sooooo....

I meant to respond to Jason a good few months ago. I am back! got caught up with work and uni so life's a mess currently. But going on from our previous discussion, I did do some soul searching and I came to the conclusion I am an Atheist.

First of all, welcome back :smile: I'm glad we can now continue our discussion.

I must admit, I am somewhat disappointed by this post. Not because you said you're "an Atheist" but because I don't really see how it adds any value to our previous exchange.

Your brought up the atheist thing in the past and I replied with:

Original post by JasonGenova
Why do you feel being an atheist and being a Sikh are mutually exclusive positions?

You then stated:

I'll be honest, I have no problem with the philosophy behind Sikhism. It's the actual practicality that I somewhat question.

And you clarified later with:

But what I mean by that is mainly the rules and regulations that are meant to be followed by Baptised Sikhs.

This discussion culminated in my post here:

xxx

Spoiler

At this point, I'm not really sure what your statement above adds to the discussion or how I'm even supposed to reply unless you respond to my post about the importance of the Khalsa entity- which is what you seem to have an issue with- in preserving this distinctiveness and sanctity of the Sikh Spiritual path.

In any case, there is no mention of atheism in the SGGS ji. The division is between Mankukh (ego-centric) and Gurmukh (spiritual-centric). Sikhs can be Manmukhs and non-Sikhs can be Gurmukhs. I think you'll find atheism by itself doesn't have a lot to do in determining whether a person can or cannot walk on the Sikh Spiritual Path. But I'll delay typing up any extensive explanation for that point until I find out more about your issues with the Khalsa Panth in light of my last reply to you on the issue.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm not home atm, I'll respond to you in a few hours jason. Nice to see you again :biggrin:
This thread needs a revival!
[video="youtube;XafA0MbFcZ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XafA0MbFcZ8[/video]
Original post by chelseafan
[video="youtube;XafA0MbFcZ8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XafA0MbFcZ8[/video]

Loool I like humour. :lol:

That's quite a nice story, he seems rather devoted and happy!
Hope you don’t mind me posting here. Can any 16 18 year olds in the UK only complete my survey on attitudes to religion and Religious Education? You will entered into a draw to win £15 Amazon vouchers
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
Hope you don’t mind me posting here. Can any 16 18 year olds in the UK only complete my survey on attitudes to religion and Religious Education? You will entered into a draw to win £15 Amazon vouchers

do you have the link to survey? :smile:
Original post by JamJam87
do you have the link to survey? :smile:

http://goo.gl/forms/N9lhzBRWyA

Thanks
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours

done :smile:
Original post by JamJam87
done :smile:

hello all,

Just out of curiosity, do all sikhs have Singh somewhere in the name, and what is the significance of this?
Original post by 786687
hello all,

Just out of curiosity, do all sikhs have Singh somewhere in the name, and what is the significance of this?

Hi,

Sikh males normally have the name "Singh" meaning lion and Sikh females normally have "Kaur" meaning princess. These are used by Sikhs to remind us that we belong to one big family. Women can keep their name even if she is married, i.e. she can remain Kaur to show equality to women.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions please ask. :smile:
Original post by Icecream1
Hi,

Sikh males normally have the name "Singh" meaning lion and Sikh females normally have "Kaur" meaning princess. These are used by Sikhs to remind us that we belong to one big family. Women can keep their name even if she is married, i.e. she can remain Kaur to show equality to women.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions please ask. :smile:

VJKK VJKF Jee :smile:
"Singh" and "Kaur" is to used by those who are amritdhari, we also use 'Khalsa' as our last name not the name of our wordly family
Original post by nneet_2014
VJKK VJKF Jee :smile:
"Singh" and "Kaur" is to used by those who are amritdhari, we also use 'Khalsa' as our last name not the name of our wordly family

VJKK VJKF Jee,

Yes, you are right. In the modern day most Sikhs will use them as middle names and Khalsas will always have them. Some Gursikhs use "Khalsa" as their family name but it just depends.
Hey guys, what does "Kharku" mean? and why were some people angry at Diljit Dosanjh's song of that name? I tried googling but can't get a clear answer :frown:
Original post by cake_lover
Hey guys, what does "Kharku" mean? and why were some people angry at Diljit Dosanjh's song of that name? I tried googling but can't get a clear answer :frown:

i think its fearless? someone correct me if im wrong please :biggrin:
Original post by sachinisgod
i think its fearless? someone correct me if im wrong please :biggrin:

That what I thought but someone in the youtube comments said "It was invented by indian police for khalistanis, the word kharku is associated with the sikhs from 1980s thats why alot of people got pissed off at this song ". :s-smilie:

There's article of him apologising for the song so it got me more confused lol.
First of all, welcome back :smile: I'm glad we can now continue our discussion.

I must admit, I am somewhat disappointed by this post. Not because you said you're "an Atheist" but because I don't really see how it adds any value to our previous exchange.

Your brought up the atheist thing in the past and I replied with:

You then stated:

And you clarified later with:

This discussion culminated in my post here:

Spoiler

At this point, I'm not really sure what your statement above adds to the discussion or how I'm even supposed to reply unless you respond to my post about the importance of the Khalsa entity- which is what you seem to have an issue with- in preserving this distinctiveness and sanctity of the Sikh Spiritual path.

In any case, there is no mention of atheism in the SGGS ji. The division is between Mankukh (ego-centric) and Gurmukh (spiritual-centric). Sikhs can be Manmukhs and non-Sikhs can be Gurmukhs. I think you'll find atheism by itself doesn't have a lot to do in determining whether a person can or cannot walk on the Sikh Spiritual Path. But I'll delay typing up any extensive explanation for that point until I find out more about your issues with the Khalsa Panth in light of my last reply to you on the issue.
]

hi :smile:

well what really pushed me a bit mainly the Rehit Maryada. I felt for something that's meant to be spiritually aware and easy to access it was rather...demanding to say the least.

Latest

Trending

Trending