The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Great post! I agree with everything in your post, and yeah it is sad to see the glorification of western culture that can go on in Sikh circles-you can even find it if you go through the last few pages of this thread-but I don't think this is limited to Sikhi, you often observe the same behaviour from Hindus, Muslims and other religious groups.

I think things are turning around in Sikhi though, the last decade has marked a large-scale increase in the content and intellectual activities within the Panth, and the Quam as a whole is on the crest of large-scale advancement in the west. We mustn't forget that it has only been about 300 years since the Birth of the Khalsa, and Sikhi today is in a similar place to Islam around Bukhari's time and Christianity around the time of the Council of Nicea's deliberation on Christ, both events also occurring close to 3 centuries after the formalization of the respective religions.

Original post by Gunnarsunn

I'm not a devoted, baptized Sikh myself although since a young age I have attempted to expand my horizons about my faith through texts and speeches. Despite not having the appearance which is often corroborated to a 'devotee' I have nothing but love for my faith.

Now this is the only part of your post where I'd interject. I agree with what you're trying to say here- since the Singh Sabha movement in the 20th century, Sikh and Khalsa have become increasingly interchangeable, and almost synonymous with each other. Part of the Singh Sabha movements main objectives was the redefining of what it meant to be a 'Sikh' and limiting it to 'Khalsa'. Now, if you weren't Baptized, you weren't a Sikh either, at least not a true one.

This has historically not been the case, and certain differences have existed between what it meant to be a Sikh and what it meant to be a Khalsa. Simply put, every Khalsa is a Sikh, but not every Sikh is a Khalsa. And while joining the Khalsa has always been the ultimate show of dedication to Sikhi-even during Guru Sahib's time- it has not been the exclusive act of dedication to Sikhi. No one can argue that Sikhs like Pir Budhu Shah, of Muslim background, were not dedicated to Sikhi, not when the man sacrificed his own life and the lives of his 4 sons in the protection of Guru Gobind Singh ji and the Guru's Darbar. And all this, even though he never actually took Amrit.

I couldn't help but go through your profile page and it says you are interested in military history. If you understand American politics, think of the Panj Pyare (5 Baptized Sikhs who act as representatives of the Guru) as the Executive Branch (highest) of Power within the Quam, and the Khalsa Panth collective as the Military of the Panth. In this context, non-Baptized Sikhs are regular citizens who should also be making an effort to adhere by the standards of the Founding Text (Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji), while the Baptized Sikhs commit themselves to meeting this standard at the highest possible level, outlined in the Sikh Rehat Maryada, which is similar to how the Police Force and Military have character rules, regulations and responsibilities the average citizen does not need to follow.

The Executive Branch is only decided by the Khalsa Panth because the elected officials (Panj Pyare) are also required to be Baptized Sikhs. If you study the Military endeavours and system of government the Misldars employed throughout the 18th century, you will find many parallels with the vision of the American founding Fathers and the United States Constitution. The hatred of subservience, the undying love for freedom and independence and the unshakeable belief in their inevitable success and prosperity were the cornerstones of Khalsa Political and Military Machines, and we find these same principles forming the bedrock of American independence.
Thanks for the response Jason!

But, what is your overall point? It seems a bit convoluted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am a muslim Sikh are very nice people the ones I have seen. I do not know anything about the religion the people seem brave and courageous
Original post by AHussain123
I am a muslim Sikh are very nice people the ones I have seen. I do not know anything about the religion the people seem brave and courageous

Much appreciated Mr. Hussain. Whether we are Sikh, Muslim or Christian ultimately we are all equal beings, with a limited human life. Hence, we should live in harmony and in earnest, as a collectivised social unit.

Regards - Gunnarsunn

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gunnarsunn
Much appreciated Mr. Hussain. Whether we are Sikh, Muslim or Christian ultimately we are all equal beings, with a limited human life. Hence, we should live in harmony and in earnest, as a collectivised social unit.

Regards - Gunnarsunn

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem brother Sikhs and Muslims are very close you guys horse ride archery etc we are similar I am interested in knowing more for knowledge
No problem brother Sikhs and Muslims are very close you guys horse ride archery etc we are similar I am interested in knowing more for knowledge

Yes brother, Sikhs and Muslims predominantly originate from the same region in Asia. Mughals and Pushtans lived very closely to the Sikh Empire in Punjab. The methods and tactics of warfare each army used was very much alike.

There are Arabic words which are also cross referenced in every day Punjabi words - Chorsi, Kitab and Duniya (Chair, Book and World). Both Islam and Sikhi are very closely related, therefore a corroborated, unified network of varying theological beliefs are a step forward to social unity and progress.

Salaam and Sat Sri Akaal! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

that is really wonderful to read...made my day :smile:
A huge welcome to the Sikh society Hussain
Even though I am a Christian, I highly respect the Sikh religion and, from what I have seen from Sikh friends , it is a very peaceful and tolerant religion.
Original post by hoping4Astars
Even though I am a Christian, I highly respect the Sikh religion and, from what I have seen from Sikh friends , it is a very peaceful and tolerant religion.

welcome to the Sikh society
Composed by Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji, these saloks form the concluding portion of the SGGSJ:
[video="youtube;2sB-G5LQGII"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sB-G5LQGII[/video]
Most Sikhs that I've met are really nice. Good religion.
https://youtu.be/6Q-3SaG3FmQ

Always makes me happy! :love:
Not a Sikh, but I like this version of Lakh Khushiyan Patshayian. So peaceful
[video="youtube;xJ6oNQ_O4zM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ6oNQ_O4zM[/video]
Original post by nucdev
Not a Sikh, but I like this version of Lakh Khushiyan Patshayian. So peaceful
[video="youtube;xJ6oNQ_O4zM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ6oNQ_O4zM[/video]

I adore this version :love:
ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਨਾਉ ਵਡਿਆਈ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ

In the Amrit Vaylaa, the ambrosial hours before dawn, chant the True Name, and contemplate His Glorious Greatness.
ਹਰਿ ਧਨੁ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਵੇਲੈ ਵਤੈ ਕਾ ਬੀਜਿਆ ਭਗਤ ਖਾਇ ਖਰਚਿ ਰਹੇ ਨਿਖੁਟੈ ਨਾਹੀ

The devotees of the Lord plant the seed of the Lord's wealth in the ambrosial hours of the Amrit Vaylaa; they eat it, and spend it, but it is never exhausted.

Divine :love:

Is he your favourite kirtani?
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Divine :love:

Is he your favourite kirtani?

yep he is! :love:

and ohla, the one i sent you is my fav by far!

ill link it here :biggrin: altho i think i already have!

Latest

Trending

Trending