The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chelseafan
Eating it is wrong if your a sikh. The only argument is some "sikhs" like meat and will therfore try to find a "loophole" so they are able to do so.

My whole point is that it's not as simple as that - if it was clearly "wrong" as you say, I wouldn't be eating meat. The problem is, some narrow-minded people can't see the other side of the argument.
Original post by sunnybacon
My whole point is that it's not as simple as that - if it was clearly "wrong" as you say, I wouldn't be eating meat. The problem is, some narrow-minded people can't see the other side of the argument.

Irrelevant if you eat meat or not. The Sikh religion discourages meat eating and those arguing about it are simply seeking justification for eating meat.
Original post by chelseafan
The Sikh religion discourages meat eating and those arguing about it are simply seeking justification for eating meat.
And how exactly did you come to this conclusion? You could say the reverse...by arguing about it, vegetarians are seeking justification for not eating meat.
And how exactly did you come to this conclusion? You could say the reverse...by arguing about it, vegetarians are seeking justification for not eating meat.

Why would you seek justification to NOT eat meat?

You can't just claim that the Sikh perspective is that "eating meat is wrong"

She can, actually. The official Taksaal position on this topic is that meat eating is anti-Gurmat, and hence meat should not be consumed unless there is a dire emergency eg starvation.
Original post by SaintSoldier

From a Sikhi perspective, whether you eat meat or not is not THAT important. Guru Nanak broke away from the culture of "I'm vegetarian = I'm a saint," and he taught that good deeds are what really .

I know this. :smile:
Why would you need justification for not eating meat? That makes no sense whatsoever.
Original post by SaintSoldier
She can, actually. The official Taksaal position on this topic is that meat eating is anti-Gurmat, and hence meat should not be consumed unless there is a dire emergency eg starvation.

The Damdami Taksal's Maryada is not an official stance which is widely adopted by Sikhs.
(edited 11 years ago)
The Damdami Taksal's Maryada is not an official stance which is widely adopted by Sikhs.

Do you have any proof that it isn't widely adopted? Maryada of Damdami Taksal is actually in a sense much more stronger and clearer than the Akaal Takht one which has left many too many ambiguous areas

I don't think it is narrow mindedness at all. As per the code of conduct and the principles set by the 11 masters of the Sikh Religion:

1. Alcohol is not allowed to be consumed, all "Sikhs" accept this, yet the majority consume it, why?

2. Consuming tobacco and drugs is not allowed, all "Sikhs" accept this, yet a large number consume it, why?

3. Meat is not allowed to be consumed unless under very life threatening circumstances, most "Sikhs" accept this, yet a large number consume it, why?

The three scenarios above are the crux of the main problem which riddles Sikhism in the 21st century. Sikhism's biggest problem is the differential between baptised and non-baptised Sikhs, the spread is so wide it isn't even shocking any more. Is that spread caused by controversies or lack of clarity on the 3 issues pointed out above, or is it because the large number of "Sikhs" can't actually be bothered to follow the path of Sikhi?

P.S. I am in no way casting any judgement on individual Sikhs, as I actually respect mone Sikhs who have a lot of respect for Sikhism, I am just saying that it is an individual's personal ego rather than narrow mindedness that leads to sins such as the 3 being committed
(edited 11 years ago)

The SGPC Rehit Maryada isn't widely adopted by Sikhs. It tries to be, but it just isn't.

Most Sikhs would hold the Damdami Taksaal in greater esteem than the SGPC, which we all know practices some things that are more "cultural" as opposed to "religious."
Reply 810
Okay
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 811
Balle balle! Haha!
Im just gonna post here because I'm learning :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Tamii
Balle balle! Haha!
Im just gonna post here because I'm learning :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

balle balle? This is the "Sikh Society" not the Panjabi Society :wink: . A more appropriate greeting would be Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh :P
Reply 813
Original post by okapobcfc08
balle balle? This is the "Sikh Society" not the Panjabi Society :wink: . A more appropriate greeting would be Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh :P

Lool like i said im learning :tongue:
Plus if youre one you have to be the other right? :s
Mums a Sikh, Dad's a Catholic, I'm an atheist. Fun times! :biggrin:

Though I do love the teachings of the religion :smile:
Original post by Komatic
Afternoon fellow Sikh's.

I need some help in determining the legitimacy of the new London 2012 Olympic British airways advert. Whilst the author & director of the advert remains a secret for some reason, I have uncovered some weird messages in the advert. They also used the national iconic band the clash for the theme of the advert.

1/ At approx 51 seconds into the advert the band says "Engines stop running", however my fear is that the original lyric was supposed to be "Indians are coming & I have no fear". This is further confirmed at 51 secs when they show a brown British child exiting a plane to accompany the lyric.

2/ At the end of the advert it states don't fly. Support Team GB.

Discuss!
[video="youtube;M6VzhDE1Wso"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6VzhDE1Wso&feature=player_profilepage[/video]

What are you on about? Those have never been the lyrics ever! If you think this is some weird illuminati paranoia happening, think again :rolleyes:

But I must admit using "London calling" as the song which is about the nuclear destruction of London was somewhat an idiotic move.
Reply 816
Original post by ConnorB
What are you on about? Those have never been the lyrics ever! If you think this is some weird illuminati paranoia happening, think again :rolleyes:

But I must admit using "London calling" as the song which is about the nuclear destruction of London was somewhat an idiotic move.

Really? Since it was this white guy on my grandads council estate that said we used to call you "ingeions". And it sounds like that in the ad.
Original post by okapobcfc08
I don't think it is narrow mindedness at all. As per the code of conduct and the principles set by the 11 masters of the Sikh Religion:

1. Alcohol is not allowed to be consumed, all "Sikhs" accept this, yet the majority consume it, why?

2. Consuming tobacco and drugs is not allowed, all "Sikhs" accept this, yet a large number consume it, why?

3. Meat is not allowed to be consumed unless under very life threatening circumstances, most "Sikhs" accept this, yet a large number consume it, why?

The three scenarios above are the crux of the main problem which riddles Sikhism in the 21st century. Sikhism's biggest problem is the differential between baptised and non-baptised Sikhs, the spread is so wide it isn't even shocking any more. Is that spread caused by controversies or lack of clarity on the 3 issues pointed out above, or is it because the large number of "Sikhs" can't actually be bothered to follow the path of Sikhi?

P.S. I am in no way casting any judgement on individual Sikhs, as I actually respect mone Sikhs who have a lot of respect for Sikhism, I am just saying that it is an individual's personal ego rather than narrow mindedness that leads to sins such as the 3 being committed

1 & 2. The use of some intoxicants as medicines is allowed. Once bhang was a healing as well as taken as an energy drink. Even alcohol has been used as medicine. Now, a foreign and more harmful drug called tea has entered punjabi culture and gurdwara langar halls. Many sikhs from traditional sects reject tea, yet don't reject Bhang, which hemp I think, it grows everywhere in punjab. They say tea dries you out or something.

3. Meat is not a sin or anything. In Guru Granth Sahib, there is bani from Guru Nanak himself that shows that a vegeterian isn't more dharmik than a non vegeterian, and it is foolish to argue about flesh. This bani is from a scenario in Kurukshetra between Guru Nanak and a Brahmin who considered it sacrilegious for meat to be cooked upon holy grounds.

The practise of jhatka, one hit kill, is an ancient practise that Guru Hargobind Sahib and Guru Gobind Singh made important as maryada of the Khalsa. The authentic Akali Nihang Khalsa fauja/dals, or Khalsa armies practise jhatka usually on goats. This is then distributed as MahaPrashaad.Hunting is also important for Khalsa sikhs to learn, this was practised by these 2 Guru Sahibs.

It is those amrit-dharees that live outside the Khalsa armies that might be against meat. The DamdamiTaksal allows meat in life and death circumstances, but there are other sects called jathebandis which completely look down upon a person eating meat, which is contrary to what Guru Nanak says in Guru Granth Sahib about persons who hold their noses up at meat. I can give gurbani from Guru Granth Sahib if it is required. None of these sects live in the Khalsa armies, and run their own institutions.

In the bujjar kurehits, eating Kuttha (halal) and tobacco is seen as a sin, not eating meat especially jhatka, for it is warrior maryada still practised strictly as part of the Khalsa armies/dals. http://www.nihangsingh.org/website/trad-jhatka.html
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by sandy.bhaker.
I eat meat too, I agree with you... But I thought that Nihangs dont eat meat

No, the Akali Nihangs eat meat, practise jhatka as part of their puraatan kshatriya amrit-dhari maryada and this is distributed as parshaad called mahaprashaad. This is actually an ancient practise.

These Nihang practises are still done in Takht Hazoor Sahib, Takht Patna Sahib, Chalda Vaheer Takht Shiromani Budda Dal, and this was also practised in Sri Akal Takht until 1920 before the Lahore Singh Sabha/SGPC forcefully occupied it to the present day.
(edited 11 years ago)
Sikhs shouldn't be eating meat!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending