The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Eternalflames
Lol yeah I'm alright, you? :lol:

Great!!!!!! :biggrin:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
@raman_17 also the guys voice at 36:10 :eek::eek::eek::eek: So beautiful!

helloooooooooooo was gonna say can you give me nucdev's number please... :smile: (don't know his real name :biggrin:)
(edited 7 years ago)
I have a question that I asked @cupcakes87 , but I would like to ask it here so I get a pool of honest opinions:

We would all agree God is more eloquent than men. Ignoring what the Gurus contributed to the Granth (since one would argue that what they composed was from God - "As the Lord's Word comes to me, O Lalo, so do I deliver it"), if the Granth is truly from God (rather than about God) why does it contain the works of men e.g. Kabir and Farid, when God is far more eloquent than men and can provide more guidance and instruction with His words?

The implications of this would be that it raises the question if Sikhi is a religion that God sent down or if it's just the product of poetic spiritual teachers within a specific socio-political context, with the Granth just being a compilation of poems that they thought could guide people towards God as opposed to being a divinely inspired book from God Himself.
Original post by Zamestaneh
I have a question that I asked @cupcakes87 , but I would like to ask it here so I get a pool of honest opinions:

We would all agree God is more eloquent than men. Ignoring what the Gurus contributed to the Granth (since one would argue that what they composed was from God - "As the Lord's Word comes to me, O Lalo, so do I deliver it":wink:, if the Granth is truly from God (rather than about God) why does it contain the works of men e.g. Kabir and Farid, when God is far more eloquent than men and can provide more guidance and instruction with His words?

The implications of this would be that it raises the question if Sikhi is a religion that God sent down or if it's just the product of poetic spiritual teachers within a specific socio-political context, with the Granth just being a compilation of poems that they thought could guide people towards God as opposed to being a divinely inspired book from God Himself.

If the Granth is truly from God (rather than about God) why does it contain the works of men e.g. Kabir and Farid, when God is far more eloquent than men and can provide more guidance and instruction with His words?

Spoiler

Okay, so, I would begin with saying the 10 Gurus are believed to be made from the same substance as God, I've heard the analogy "the Guru's were the drop from the Ocean of God" so therefore Guru Arjun Dev Ji (who himself is made from the same substance as God) adding the Shabads of Hindu and Muslim Saints, is not man conveying the message of God as you put it, but rather it is God conveying the message of God through men to other men.

I see it this way, say you are a devoted muslim and a a 65 year old Jewish lady who only spoke Yiddish told you that she had the "Word Of God" and the "Complete truth" in her hands (in Yiddish) you would accept her word for it? Most likely not, 1) You would have a problem understanding her 2) You would not accept it since you are already faithful to Islam for example and you have no reason to accept her word for it.

Okay so now, say a 20 year old (around your age), well known,well loved and respected, very intelligent English speaking Christian man came to you and told you he knew the truth about God and wanted to translate it through poetry or a song to you, would you be willing to listen? it's far more likely.

This is how I see those saints, not equal to Gods word own words which he spoke through the Guru's but rather, Gods teachings translated to the laity by men to men.

All of the men share very similar beliefs in humility, simplicity and One true God regardless of their faith and background, so in Sikhism's eyes they are Sikh since they follow those Sikh principles and this would reflect "the universality of thought which underlies the sikh belief in One God" and of course, almost all of them were well known and praised for their work and where respected so that would be more reason to include their words.

It was Guru Arjun Dev ji (a substance of God) who ultimately included their work into the Guru Granth sahib ji which means God saw his truth represented in their words and saw reason for it to be incorporated amongst his own words, it doesn't mean God can't do the same, God himself had already spoken through the Gurus (and had yet to speak which is why blank spaces were left by Guru Arjun Dev Ji).

In my spoiler I've highlighted the Bhagatas (Saints of various faiths) and their similarities with each other, which really conveys my point of them being examples of men who saw the "Truth" that the Guru's spoke and practiced sikh beliefs themselves, and it's clear how their commonality, skill, love and respect with and from ordinary people would help ordinary people experience God and the Complete Truth that Sikhism holds.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
If the Granth is truly from God (rather than about God) why does it contain the works of men e.g. Kabir and Farid, when God is far more eloquent than men and can provide more guidance and instruction with His words?

Spoiler

Okay, so, I would begin with saying the 10 Gurus are believed to be made from the same substance as God, I've heard the analogy "the Guru's were the drop from the Ocean of God" so therefore Guru Arjun Dev Ji (who himself is made from the same substance as God) adding the Shabads of Hindu and Muslim Saints, is not man conveying the message of God as you put it, but rather it is God conveying the message of God through men to other men.

I see it this way, say you are a devoted muslim and a a 65 year old Jewish lady who only spoke Yiddish told you that she had the "Word Of God" and the "Complete truth" in her hands (in Yiddish) you would accept her word for it? Most likely not, 1) You would have a problem understanding her 2) You would not accept it since you are already faithful to Islam for example and you have no reason to accept her word for it.

Okay so now, say a 20 year old (around your age), well known,well loved and respected, very intelligent English speaking Christian man came to you and told you he knew the truth about God and wanted to translate it through poetry or a song to you, would you be willing to listen? it's far more likely.

This is how I see those saints, not equal to Gods word own words which he spoke through the Guru's but rather, Gods teachings translated to the laity by men to men.

All of the men share very similar beliefs in humility, simplicity and One true God regardless of their faith and background, so in Sikhism's eyes they are Sikh since they follow those Sikh principles and this would reflect "the universality of thought which underlies the sikh belief in One God" and of course, almost all of them were well known and praised for their work and where respected so that would be more reason to include their words.

It was Guru Arjun Dev ji (a substance of God) who ultimately included their work into the Guru Granth sahib ji which means God saw his truth represented in their words and saw reason for it to be incorporated amongst his own words, it doesn't mean God can't do the same, God himself had already spoken through the Gurus (and had yet to speak which is why blank spaces were left by Guru Arjun Dev Ji).

In my spoiler I've highlighted the Bhagatas (Saints of various faiths) and their similarities with each other, which really conveys my point of them being examples of men who saw the "Truth" that the Guru's spoke and practiced sikh beliefs themselves, and it's clear how their commonality, skill, love and respect with and from ordinary people would help ordinary people experience God and the Complete Truth that Sikhism holds.

Spoiler

Thank you for your lengthy response, I appreciate it :smile:

I have a few contentions, one of them being the Gurus were manifestations of God (or part of God), but I will not get into that specific topic here, instead I will just mention the other points.

- Even if we take the Bani to be "God conveying God's word through men to other men", God choosing to include the works of men (Farid, Kabir, Namdev etc) in the Granth is like God saying "I will tell you the purpose of life.... what he said innit". No matter how truthful what these other people say is, it will never ever match the level of absolute truth or wisdom or eloquence that God is capable of, therefore if we assume the compositions of God/the Gurus are like 90% of the Granth, then 10% lacks absolute perfection even if the contents of this 10% is true. It's like going to university to learn Physics and the lecturer whips out an A-Level Physics Revision guide because you are more familiar with it and gives it to you to read rather than educate you with his extensive knowledge - everything you learn will be Physics but it is not what you expect from him. This does not make sense to me, which is why it makes much more logical sense that the Granth is just a collation of spiritual poems as opposed to a book approved by God Himself.

- Although you might say these people have common beliefs, let's take the Muslim ones specifically - their Islamic beliefs (even taking the slack Sufistic beliefs in parts of Pakistan today as a comparison to the Sufi beliefs of these poets) would entail that other authors within the Granth are Kuffar (disbelievers), therefore not "all of the men share very similar beliefs in humility, simplicity and One true God regardless of their faith and background", instead the likes of Farid and Bhikan were just inward looking spiritualists but with defined foundations within Islamic doctrine which still involved a belief in religious supremecy over people who were not Muslims.
The logical answer to this point is that their poetry had a truthful message even if their beliefs were not always agreeable, thus they were included in the Granth, but then this opens another problem of intellectual disingenuity, as the meaning of their poems would be hijacked to support whatever meaning the Gurus would want it to mean rather than the intended meaning of the authors - this concept of hijacking is evident when one notices that additions were made to the Saloks of Sheikh Farid by one of the Gurus - additions which are not in line with the beliefs of Farid himself e.g. "O Nanak, the Unseen Lord cannot be seen; He is revealed only to the Gurmukh".
(edited 7 years ago)

I have a few contentions, one of them being the Gurus were manifestations of God (or part of God), but I will not get into that specific topic here, instead I will just mention the other points.

- Even if we take the Bani to be "God conveying God's word through men to other men", God choosing to include the works of men (Farid, Kabir, Namdev etc) in the Granth is like God saying "I will tell you the purpose of life.... what he said innit". No matter how truthful what these other people say is, it will never ever match the level of absolute truth or wisdom or eloquence that God is capable of, therefore if we assume the compositions of God/the Gurus are like 90% of the Granth, then 10% lacks absolute perfection even if the contents of this 10% is true. It's like going to university to learn Physics and the lecturer whips out an A-Level Physics Revision guide because you are more familiar with it and gives it to you to read rather than educate you with his extensive knowledge - everything you learn will be Physics but it is not what you expect from him. This does not make sense to me, which is why it makes much more logical sense that the Granth is just a collation of spiritual poems as opposed to a book approved by God Himself.

- Although you might say these people have common beliefs, let's take the Muslim ones specifically - their Islamic beliefs (even taking the slack Sufistic beliefs in parts of Pakistan today as a comparison to the Sufi beliefs of these poets) would entail that other authors within the Granth are Kuffar (disbelievers), therefore not "all of the men share very similar beliefs in humility, simplicity and One true God regardless of their faith and background", instead the likes of Farid and Bhikan were just inward looking spiritualists but with defined foundations within Islamic doctrine which still involved a belief in religious supremecy over people who were not Muslims.
The logical answer to this point is that their poetry had a truthful message even if their beliefs were not always agreeable, thus they were included in the Granth, but then this opens another problem of intellectual disingenuity, as the meaning of their poems would be hijacked to support whatever meaning the Gurus would want it to mean rather than the intended meaning of the authors - this concept of hijacking is evident when one notices that additions were made to the Saloks of Sheikh Farid by one of the Gurus - additions which are not in line with the beliefs of Farid himself e.g. "O Nanak, the Unseen Lord cannot be seen; He is revealed only to the Gurmukh".

:smile: no problem, thank you also for the long reply but I will have to read it later and reply later. If I forget, please VM me to remind me (please do XD, because I have the memory of a gold fish).
(edited 7 years ago)
:smile: no problem, thank you also for the long reply but I will have to read it later and reply later. If I forget, please VM me to remind me (please do XD, because I have the memory of a gold fish).

That's okay :lol: Thanks :smile:

God choosing to include the works of men (Farid, Kabir, Namdev etc) in the Granth is like God saying "I will tell you the purpose of life.... what he said innit"-I would say that Sikhism is about experiencing God, rather than following word for word to build faith in God. I don't think it's like "I will tell you the purpose of life.... what he said innit", unless you believe everyone on this planet cannot think for themselves. I suppose in a sense, the words of Kabir, Farid and Namdev etc are also experiences of God, showing that what the Guru's have spoken about is true and the rest of us should follow their teachings to experience God.

10% would only lack perfection if you believe in being all humans being born with Sin etc. But regardless of that, I don't think the Guru Granth Sahib ji strives for perfection but more so the "truth". That is what Granth means anyway, it has the ultimate truth inside it.

"It's like going to university to learn Physics and the lecturer whips out an A-Level Physics Revision guide because you are more familiar with it and gives it to you to read rather than educate you with his extensive knowledge - everything you learn will be Physics but it is not what you expect from him."-But God has put forward the truth , it's not like A-level physics is wrong and I would say the lecturer would be helping the new students on a path to higher physics just like the Guru(teacher) is helping people to a path to experience God.

"would entail that other authors within the Granth are Kuffar (disbelievers), therefore not "all of the men share very similar beliefs in humility, simplicity and One true God regardless of their faith and background", instead the likes of Farid and Bhikan were just inward looking spiritualists but with defined foundations within Islamic doctrine which still involved a belief in religious supremecy over people who were not Muslims."- Firstly I would say sikhism doesn't have a specific word or any feelings towards non-believers, so anyone can experience God. Secondly, I would say even if they only had "defined foundations within islamic doctrine" it does not mean they are wrong in Sikhi's eyes, Sikhs believe islam has elements of truth hence a line from a shabad "Awal Allah noor upaya"- "It was Allah( Allah or waheguru, you are still referring to the one creator so it doesn't matter what name you call God by) who first created all mortal beings". But ofcourse the Kabir and Farid etc did follow similar principles to what the Guru's taught and that were true to sikhi.

"The logical answer to this point is that their poetry had a truthful message even if their beliefs were not always agreeable, thus they were included in the Granth, but then this opens another problem of intellectual disingenuity, as the meaning of their poems would be hijacked to support whatever meaning the Gurus would want it to mean rather than the intended meaning of the authors - this concept of hijacking is evident when one notices that additions were made to the Saloks of Sheikh Farid by one of the Gurus - additions which are not in line with the beliefs of Farid himself e.g. "O Nanak, the Unseen Lord cannot be seen; He is revealed only to the Gurmukhi" - please supply me with further evidence of this. But for now I say the Guru's enforced the idea of a universal God, no ones idea of God was truly wrong and all religions had elements of truth within them but the Guru Granth Sahib Ji has the complete truth, therefore I would say if any messages were taken it was with the intention of revealing truth rather than obscuring the primary message however I have not got enough evidence to make any sort of judgement on this yet, please do provide me with more information.
(edited 7 years ago)
I had a question on Sikhism.

Does Sikhism accept or reject the existence of Hindu Goddesses.
By goddesses I mean matajis such as Vaishnodevi mata, Durga maa, etc?

Ive asked this because Sikhism stresses the 'one god' principle yet many Sikhs worship these goddesses.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll respond to the rest later, but the additions made by the Gurus are easily found under the mehl headings; generally the saloks under the mehl headings tend to be responses to the preceding saloks. If "Nanak" is used, the salok tends to be a "correction" of the previous salok, while the use of the bhagat's name generally implies the salok is a clarification.

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਪਾੜਿ ਪਟੋਲਾ ਧਜ ਕਰੀ ਕੰਬਲੜੀ ਪਹਿਰੇਉ
Fareed, I have torn my clothes to tatters; now I wear only a rough blanket.

ਜਿਨ੍ਹ੍ਹੀ ਵੇਸੀ ਸਹੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਸੇਈ ਵੇਸ ਕਰੇਉ ॥੧੦੩॥
I wear only those clothes which will lead me to meet my Lord. ||103||

ਮਃ
Third Mehl:

ਕਾਇ ਪਟੋਲਾ ਪਾੜਤੀ ਕੰਬਲੜੀ ਪਹਿਰੇਇ
Why do you tear apart your fine clothes, and take to wearing a rough blanket?

ਨਾਨਕ ਘਰ ਹੀ ਬੈਠਿਆ ਸਹੁ ਮਿਲੈ ਜੇ ਨੀਅਤਿ ਰਾਸਿ ਕਰੇਇ ॥੧੦੪॥
O Nanak, even sitting in your own home, you can meet the Lord, if your mind is in the right place. ||104||

The numbers mark the end of a salok/couplet. Here we have Sheikh Farid telling us that he has chosen to get rid of his fine clothes in favour of an extremely simple life. This is a pretty common theme in Sheikh Farid's poetry as you probably know, but in this case Guru Amar Das (Third Mehl) feels that such simplicity is unnecessary. Wearing a rough blanket isn't going to lead one to God on its own. A few lines later, Guru Arjan Dev (Fifth Mehl) explains what kind of "clothes" please God:

ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਗੁਣੁ ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਮਣੀਆ ਮੰਤੁ
What is that word, what is that virtue, and what is that magic mantra?

ਕਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਵੇਸੋ ਹਉ ਕਰੀ ਜਿਤੁ ਵਸਿ ਆਵੈ ਕੰਤੁ ॥੧੨੬॥
What are those clothes, which I can wear to captivate my Husband Lord? ||126||

ਨਿਵਣੁ ਸੁ ਅਖਰੁ ਖਵਣੁ ਗੁਣੁ ਜਿਹਬਾ ਮਣੀਆ ਮੰਤੁ
Humility is the word, forgiveness is the virtue, and sweet speech is the magic mantra.

ਤ੍ਰੈ ਭੈਣੇ ਵੇਸ ਕਰਿ ਤਾਂ ਵਸਿ ਆਵੀ ਕੰਤੁ ॥੧੨੭॥
Wear these three robes, O sister, and you will captivate your Husband Lord. ||127||

The line you posted is actually a salok by Guru Ram Das found on ang 1318 (http://granth.co/56222-56224), which is repeated by Guru Arjan Dev in his commentary on Sheikh Farid's saloks.
(edited 7 years ago)
God choosing to include the works of men (Farid, Kabir, Namdev etc) in the Granth is like God saying "I will tell you the purpose of life.... what he said innit"-I would say that Sikhism is about experiencing God, rather than following word for word to build faith in God. I don't think it's like "I will tell you the purpose of life.... what he said innit", unless you believe everyone on this planet cannot think for themselves. I suppose in a sense, the words of Kabir, Farid and Namdev etc are also experiences of God, showing that what the Guru's have spoken about is true and the rest of us should follow their teachings to experience God.

10% would only lack perfection if you believe in being all humans being born with Sin etc. But regardless of that, I don't think the Guru Granth Sahib ji strives for perfection but more so the "truth". That is what Granth means anyway, it has the ultimate truth inside it.

"It's like going to university to learn Physics and the lecturer whips out an A-Level Physics Revision guide because you are more familiar with it and gives it to you to read rather than educate you with his extensive knowledge - everything you learn will be Physics but it is not what you expect from him."-But God has put forward the truth , it's not like A-level physics is wrong and I would say the lecturer would be helping the new students on a path to higher physics just like the Guru(teacher) is helping people to a path to experience God.

"would entail that other authors within the Granth are Kuffar (disbelievers), therefore not "all of the men share very similar beliefs in humility, simplicity and One true God regardless of their faith and background", instead the likes of Farid and Bhikan were just inward looking spiritualists but with defined foundations within Islamic doctrine which still involved a belief in religious supremecy over people who were not Muslims."- Firstly I would say sikhism doesn't have a specific word or any feelings towards non-believers, so anyone can experience God. Secondly, I would say even if they only had "defined foundations within islamic doctrine" it does not mean they are wrong in Sikhi's eyes, Sikhs believe islam has elements of truth hence a line from a shabad "Awal Allah noor upaya"- "It was Allah( Allah or waheguru, you are still referring to the one creator so it doesn't matter what name you call God by) who first created all mortal beings". But of course the Kabir and Farid etc did follow similar principles to what the Guru's taught and that were true to sikhi.

"The logical answer to this point is that their poetry had a truthful message even if their beliefs were not always agreeable, thus they were included in the Granth, but then this opens another problem of intellectual disingenuity, as the meaning of their poems would be hijacked to support whatever meaning the Gurus would want it to mean rather than the intended meaning of the authors - this concept of hijacking is evident when one notices that additions were made to the Saloks of Sheikh Farid by one of the Gurus - additions which are not in line with the beliefs of Farid himself e.g. "O Nanak, the Unseen Lord cannot be seen; He is revealed only to the Gurmukhi" - please supply me with further evidence of this. But for now I say the Guru's enforced the idea of a universal God, no ones idea of God was truly wrong and all religions had elements of truth within them but the Guru Granth Sahib Ji has the complete truth, therefore I would say if any messages were taken it was with the intention of revealing truth rather than obscuring the primary message however I have not got enough evidence to make any sort of judgement on this yet, please do provide me with more information.

I will reword and restructure my main line of argumentation so it is clearer:

- A religiously neutral and rational human-being expects that if God exists and has conveyed a religion to the people, it will be conveyed in the most eloquent speech, teach the most wisdom and be the best source of guidance for people, and therefore as God is better than humans and more capable than them in all these things, God's religious book would not be able to be equalled or surpassed in anyway by the works of human beings, and to this rational being, it would make sense that God’s complete Word would be 100% from him.

- The Granth contains the works of men, as I have mentioned. Since these works have been adopted into the Granth, they have subsequently been elevated to the status of being equal to the words of God Himself - this therefore means that it is possible for human beings to theoretically compose works which can equal the word of God, which therefore would indicate to this rational man than Sikhi is not from God; alternatively, the Granth is not completely the word of God Himself, rather just mostly being the word of God but also with works about God approved by Him, with the former (Gods word) taking precedent over the latter (works about God) - this therefore means that the book of God is not 100% His word and He is conveying His final and complete guidance to mankind through works which do not match His wisdom and eloquence, which therefore would indicate to this rational man that Sikhi is not from God. When I was stating that 10% was “imperfect”, I meant to say that the content is not necessarily incorrect but rather it lacks that divine element of absolute wisdom and absolute eloquence that only God possesses.

The second part of the discussion is as follows:

- In response to a part of what I said, you said or implied that these poems focus on the portions of truth that would be in line with the complete truth like an isolated slice of apple pie being identical to a portion of a complete apple pie. My counter argument to this is that either (1) 100% of the contents of these poems represent this slice of truth that the Gurus are taking from people of other religious dispositions, or (2) only parts of these poems represent this portion of truth and other parts of these poems are not true like having a slice of pie which contains apple but also raspberries and therefore not 100% identical to a portion of a complete apple pie.

(1) is not the case because, as you would agree, poems by Farid, for example, contain references to Hell and the 5 daily prayers things which are not wholly taught by Sikhi. So therefore (2) is the likely state of affairs. This would therefore mean that the Granth does not contain 100% complete truth as it contains things which it does not agree with; the counter argument to this is that the Gurus still agree with these things but in a metaphorical way rather than the apparent way, therefore it would still be fine to be included in the Granth and therefore (1) would become true. This is where my point about hijacking the intended meanings of poems comes in to change the intended meaning of the poem means that the poem was plagiarised to support the Gurus’ own narrative as opposed to the poem outright agreeing with the Gurus’ teachings, which shows the poem did not represent that slice of the complete truth to start with, therefore (1) becomes false again and (2) becomes true again. As evidence for this, I mentioned the following:

- Sheikh Farid and Sheikh Bhikan are Muslims

- Even after considering the fact that the kind of Sufi Muslims that Farid and Bhikan were do not have orthodox Islamic views, they would still believe that contents of the Granth as well as the Gurus themselves were Kuffar (disbelievers) and thus disagree with them. My evidence for this was comparing Farid and Bhikan to the Sufis of Pakistan today who still maintain some key parts of Islamic teaching inspite of their otherwise unorthodox views and practices, and it is their belief that Sikhism is Kufr (disbelief).

- This therefore means that Farid and Bhikan were not open to anyone of any faith in the way that you claimed/mentioned in your initial response.

- I went onto further elaborate that the use of their poems to support the teachings of the Gurus would be against their Islamic beliefs since they did not believe in the Gurus themselves or what they believed, which is why I said that the Gurus appeared to hijack their poems by making additions (which Farid and Bhikan would not have agreed with) in order for the poems to fit the Gurus' narrative.

- I gave an example of a quote which was added by one of the Gurus to Farid's Saloks - "O Nanak, the Unseen Lord cannot be seen; He is revealed only to the Gurmukh" - Farid would not have agreed with this or believed this. Another example of hijacking is below:

ਫਰੀਦਾ ਬੇ ਨਿਵਾਜਾ ਕੁਤਿਆ ਏਹ ਭਲੀ ਰੀਤਿ

Fareed: O faithless dog, this is not a good way of life

ਕਬਹੀ ਚਲਿ ਆਇਆ ਪੰਜੇ ਵਖਤ ਮਸੀਤਿ

You never come to the mosque for your five daily prayers

ਉਠੁ ਫਰੀਦਾ ਉਜੂ ਸਾਜਿ ਸੁਬਹ ਨਿਵਾਜ ਗੁਜਾਰਿ

Rise up, Fareed, and cleanse yourself; chant your morning prayer.

ਜੋ ਸਿਰੁ ਸਾਂਈ ਨਾ ਨਿਵੈ ਸੋ ਸਿਰੁ ਕਪਿ ਉਤਾਰਿ

The head which does not bow to the Lord - chop off and remove that head.

- The intended purpose of Farid mentioning this is that he regrets not praying his 5 daily prayers which are prescribed in Islam, and therefore his intended meaning would be for the reader to not neglect their 5 daily prayers either; in the Granth, the 5 daily prayers are redefined from the way in which Farid believed as follows:

ਪੰਜਿ ਨਿਵਾਜਾ ਵਖਤ ਪੰਜਿ ਪੰਜਾ ਪੰਜੇ ਨਾਉ ਪਹਿਲਾ ਸਚੁ ਹਲਾਲ ਦੁਇ ਤੀਜਾ ਖੈਰ ਖੁਦਾਇ ਚਉਥੀ ਨੀਅਤਿ ਰਾਸਿ ਮਨੁ ਪੰਜਵੀ ਸਿਫਤਿ ਸਨਾਇ ਕਰਣੀ ਕਲਮਾ ਆਖਿ ਕੈ ਤਾ ਮੁਸਲਮਾਣੁ ਸਦਾਇ ਨਾਨਕ ਜੇਤੇ ਕੂੜਿਆਰ ਕੂੜੈ ਕੂੜੀ ਪਾਇ

There are five prayers and five times of day for prayer; the five have five names. Let the first be truthfulness, the second honest living, and the third charity inthe Name of God. Let the fourth be good will to all, and the fifth the praise of the Lord. Repeat the prayer of good deeds, and then, you may call yourself a Muslim. O Nanak, the false obtain falsehood, and only falsehood.

- What I am arguing is that even with the alterations to these poems and meanings which are considered clarifications and corrections from the Gurus, this still means you have a slice of apple and raspberry pie and they were trying to add more apple to dilute the raspberry - to dilute the taint of imperfection in God's book - it doesn't change the fact that the Granth contains the demonstrably imperfect word of men.

- It is, therefore, that when you say:

“All religions had elements of truth within them but the Guru Granth Sahib Ji has the complete truth”

I say that the Granth presents the imperfect and incomplete truth and thus cannot be the complete truth, therefore I am left to conclude that the Granth is a book composed and compiled completely by men about their perception of God, not a book composed by God and conveyed by men, therefore, in my eyes at least, Sikhi is a religion created by spiritual-social reformers who were a product of their time and surrounding, not messengers/representatives/manifestations of God.

Edit: Forgive me for the formatting like Gurmukhi coming out as a single line rather than as individual words - I typed this on Word and transferred it here, but it pasted weirdly :u:
(edited 7 years ago)
Damn
@Zamestaneh
Back at it again with the *insertheartbreakingword* questions

:smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AppleB
Damn
@Zamestaneh
Back at it again with the stupid questions

:smile:

Sorry I have to :aetsch:

God's religion has to be both rational and experiential, not just experiential, so what I am trying to determine is how can Sikhi be proven to be true or from God without having to experience the teachings of the Gurus.

My goal is not to refute but to come to a conclusion of what is and isn't truth. Atm I have no reason to reject Islam rationally, so I am assessing other perceived truths to understand why they are perceived to be true beyond experiential or other extremely subjective reasons.
Sorry I have to :aetsch:

God's religion has to be both rational and experiential, not just experiential, so what I am trying to determine is how can Sikhi be proven to be true or from God without having to experience the teachings of the Gurus.

My goal is not to refute but to come to a conclusion of what is and isn't truth. Atm I have no reason to reject Islam rationally, so I am assessing other perceived truths to understand why they are perceived to be true beyond experiential or other extremely subjective reasons.

you eat dictionaries?
Original post by AppleB
you eat dictionaries?

No - the binding of books is sometimes animal glue, so it wouldn't be veggie :naughty: That said, in Year 4, whilst everyone else's reading books were stuff like Chip and Biff, I had the Oxford English :fyi: But that was only a help to me then, not now :tongue:
No - the binding of books is sometimes animal glue, so it wouldn't be veggie :naughty: That said, in Year 4, whilst everyone else's reading books were stuff like Chip and Biff, I had the Oxford English :fyi: But that was only a help to me then, not now :tongue:

Ew
I'm holding a book right now
Are you serious?
Animal glue???
Ewewewewewewewew

LOOL ok
What on earth is chip and biff

Ya old mate
Grand pa.
Original post by AppleB
Ew
I'm holding a book right now
Are you serious?
Animal glue???
Ewewewewewewewew

LOOL ok
What on earth is chip and biff

Ya old mate
Grand pa.

Older books and hard backs used to have it, I think; I have no idea about nowadays - perhaps they still use it :holmes:

"What on earth is Chip and Biff"?! You hardly deserve to be considered to have passed through primary school :hmmm:

To realise I started my A-Levels 5 years ago this month really drives home how old I am getting :frown:

Edit: I'm so old I forgot it's "Biff and Chip" (not the other way around)
(edited 7 years ago)
Older books and hard backs used to have it, I think; I have no idea about nowadays - perhaps they still use it :holmes:

"What on earth is Chip and Biff"?! You hardly deserve to be considered to have passed through primary school :hmmm:

To realise I started my A-Levels 5 years ago this month really drives home how old I am getting :frown:

Hope not
:colonhash:

ERM EXCUSE ME OLD MAN
HOW DARE YOU INSULT ME
FOUL COCKROACH!

gaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!
You are old

Hello Grand Pa :smile:

HA!
:rofl:
Seems old age is getting to you after all.
G'day grand pa

do you remember floppy the dog from those books? :smile:
rofl: Raj man you are soooooooooooo fubby !!!! :biggrin: the way u sed foul cochroach :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending