Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sri Lanka's Killing Fields

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Most horrific footage of war crimes exposed"
    Live on Channel 4
    *Sri Lanka's Killing Fields*
    Tuesday 14th June 11:05pm

Please sit down and watch with your family and and tell everyone you know
    • 18 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not comfortable with watching some guys being brutally slaughtered with my family :erm:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    stupid show.

thats right...neg rep me all you like...
    doesn't make the show any less stupid.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harroo)
    stupid show.

did you honestly just say that? How is something stupid when it finally shows the west how corrupt sri lanka really is? Tamil people are so happy that the truth is finally coming out. It's so overdue.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    please dont quote and write tl;dr

"Jon Snow presents a forensic investigation into the final weeks of the quarter-century-long civil war between the government of Sri Lanka and the secessionist rebels, the Tamil Tigers.

With disturbing and distressing descriptions and film of executions, atrocities and the shelling of civilians the programme features devastating new video evidence of war crimes - some of the most horrific footage Channel 4 has ever broadcast.

Captured on mobile phones, both by Tamils under attack and government soldiers as war trophies, the disturbing footage shows: the extra-judicial executions of prisoners; the aftermath of targeted shelling of civilian camps; and dead female Tamil fighters who appear to have been raped or sexually assaulted, abused and murdered.

The film is made and broadcast as UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon faces growing criticism for refusing to launch an investigation into 'credible allegations' that Sri Lankan forces committed war crimes during the closing weeks of the bloody conflict with the Tamil Tigers.

In April 2011, Ban Ki-moon published a report by a UN-appointed panel of experts, which concluded that as many as 40,000 people were killed in the final weeks of the war between the Tamil Tigers and government forces.

It called for the creation of an international mechanism to investigate alleged violations of international humanitarian law and international human rights law committed by government forces and the Tamil Tigers during that time.

This film provides powerful evidence that will lend new urgency to the panel's call for an international inquiry to be mounted, including harrowing interviews with eye-witnesses, new photographic stills, official Sri Lankan army video footage, and satellite imagery.

Also examined in the film are some of the horrific atrocities carried out by the Tamil Tigers, who used civilians as human shields.

Channel 4 News has consistently reported on the bloody denouement of Sri Lanka's civil war. Sri Lanka's Killing Fields presents a further damning account of the actions of Sri Lankan forces, in a war that the government still insists was conducted with a policy of Zero Civilian Casualties.

The film raises serious questions about the consequences if the UN fails to act, not only with respect to Sri Lanka but also to future violations of international law."
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    stupid show.
    Can I ask for your reasoning?

also, did you just create an account on here to post that :lolwut:

why hasn't anyone posted on this?!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    is there any way to watch this if you don't live in the UK?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Karaiyar)
    is there any way to watch this if you don't live in the UK?
    I think you can watch it on 4OD after its been broadcast as channel 4 is allowing people globally to view it up to 7 days after.

here is the link to watch it on after it's been broadcast on here today( so wait till tomorrow or something) http://www.channel4.com/programmes/4od

"Sri Lanka's Killing Fields" would be globally viewable from the website of Channel-4 as the station has removed 'geo blocking' software from this programme for 7 days, to facilitate those outside the UK and Ireland to view the documentary after its broadcast Tuesday night.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    just bumping this thread.. guys, please watch, 11pm Channel 4 tonight!

can be graphical so just beware, but I believe that sometimes it's important to face these things, and having an understanding of the numerous atrocities which occur all over the world but seem to be unheard of to us as there's little or no media coverage.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Watching this right now - through tears. Anyone left unaffected by the horrific, disgusting, human actions is psychologically disabled.

I am at loss for words.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I totally understand that the government did not handle this well...human lives were uneccessarily lost.... but when you are trying to get rid of something so BIG as terrorism then its inevitable....
    I am not saying that the SL government is amazing....or that its totally in the right here....

but what ANNOYS me...is the fact that for 25 years....the LTTE massacred the sinhalese and other groups in sri lanka....and im talking about putting bombs on school busses...markets..... coming in the night and killing whole villages straight...

WHY did you not help your "fellow sri lankans" THEN?? hmmm.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    the LTTE and the sri lankan government are both at fault here.. what upsets me is the thousands of innocent people being killed because of it.
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    i missed it
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I heard about this and decided not to watch it - I have a tendency to retain things I see in my mind's eye for ages after, it just turns my stomach. I forgot it was on, flicked to see what was on Channel 4 and saw a guy tied to a tree I think about to be beheaded...

I'm really not up to speed on what went on in Sri Lanka with the Tamil Tigers but I think it's good that things like this come to light and people should be punished for it. It's disgusting.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amelle)
    the LTTE and the sri lankan government are both at fault here.. what upsets me is the thousands of innocent people being killed because of it.
    now THAT point, i agree with.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The fact that the SL government continue to consistently deny any wrongs absolutely sickens me.
    Also Channel 4 I can't thank you people enough to bring this to the public eye.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That is the most shocking, saddening thing I've ever seen. I watched it with my parents, I've never seen them so upset either.

If the Sri Lankan government is not brought to justice for their horrible actions I will lose all faith in humanity.

I can't believe the world sleeps at night knowing this happened.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    stupid show.
    just for your info, it wasn't a show for entertainment, it happened for real just 2 years ago.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abrar91)
    That is the most shocking, saddening thing I've ever seen. I watched it with my parents, I've never seen them so upset either.

If the Sri Lankan government is not brought to justice for their horrible actions I will lose all faith in humanity.

Agreed.That was absolutely horrific , and the saddest thing I have seen on TV..
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abrar91)

I fully agree. One of the most horrific and gruesome event I've seen for a very long time - I almost feel like it was a shadow of the Holocaust (no offence intended whatsoever).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 13, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki TV section

Quick link:

Unanswered TV threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.