Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sri Lanka's Killing Fields

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angryvivo)
    Have u spoken to your relatives? have they told you what happened? because charities were allowed in but handpicked by the gvt because previously many charities did aid ltte rebels.
    and as for the camps, i detest them as much as you do but for different reasons.
    Spared perhaps but you must admit the LTTE made it pretty much impossible with their "human shields" and i was to believe that over the half of the people in the camps were allowed back home. as for the government aid,

No, not really. Supplies into the Vanni Zone were limited into war zone because the SL Government downplayed the number of refugees. There were almost double the number of civilians in the war zone that the number given by the SL Government.

This meant that many people died of injuries and malnutrition due to the limiting of food and medical supplies in the region. Therefore, the concept that the LTTE "made it pretty much impossible with their human shields" is false.

http://www.un.org/News/dh/infocus/Sr...eport_Full.pdf

If you read the report that I linked you to before, you would not end up making inaccurate assertions with regards to casualty numbers and etc. There is a significant amount of information detailing the crimes of the LTTE and the SL Army.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Geez. That was more gruesome than the internet. But this is the internet. So I guess that's OK...

But really quite amazing they show this on the TV. I suppose it's good that people see what happens.

Mind you it's a little odd that you see executions and brains gushing out, but they blur the genitals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angryvivo)
    The ltte supporters in the west inflated those figures and what were the sl army to do when the ltte were holding them as human shields, often shooting them. only the real people know the real situation. not a fraud.
    Wow seems like you know which statements are true and false.

Tamil tigers were formed to fight for the rights of tamils. The soldiers gave up their lives, family to fight for a cause they believed in. They are called freedom fighters. They will never shoot at civilians and use them as human shields! We saw a 30 second footage aerial view of what they said were "tamil tigers" shooting at civilians. One witness reported that sri lankan soldiers dressed in tamil tiger uniform started shooting at civilians.

Which story seems more likely. Remember the SL goverment is so corrupt that even the SL army commander Sarath Fonseka gets put into jail for telling the truth!!

So many civilians have been killed. How dare you say "ltte supporters in the west inflated those figures" Everyone knows the motives behind the SL govt. The last stages of the war have really shown how much they value a tamil civilians life.

It's deeply shocking to see scenes like this, which is only a small proportion of what actually went on. And I think we are on the right path to put those responsible to justice.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inception3)
    Wow seems like you know which statements are true and false.

Tamil tigers were formed to fight for the rights of tamils. The soldiers gave up their lives, family to fight for a cause they believed in. They are called freedom fighters. They will never shoot at civilians and use them as human shields! We saw a 30 second footage aerial view of what they said were "tamil tigers" shooting at civilians. One witness reported that sri lankan soldiers dressed in tamil tiger uniform started shooting at civilians.
    There are plenty of credible allegations of Tamil Tigers being positioned along escape routes in the Vanni Zone to prevent civilians leaving by shooting at them.These allegations are made by the UN and Human Rights Organisations.

They were deliberately using the civilians as human shields according to these organisations. Also common sense would tell you that as well.

The LTTE were thugs and war criminals, not freedom fighters. They murdered Tamils, Muslims and Sinhalese indiscriminately. To suggest otherwise is detrimental to any serious argument with regards to the situation.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DorianGrayism)
    There are plenty of credible allegations of Tamil Tigers being positioned along escape routes in the Vanni Zone to prevent civilians leaving by shooting at them.These allegations are made by the UN and Human Rights Organisations.

They were deliberately using the civilians as human shields according to these organisations. Also common sense would tell you that as well.

The LTTE were thugs and war criminals, not freedom fighters. They murdered Tamils, Muslims and Sinhalese indiscriminately. To suggest otherwise is detrimental to any serious argument with regards to the situation.
    The SL army are thugs and war criminals. I do not really want to go off topic and there's really not much point arguing over opinions here.

At this stage it is the high number of civilian casualties that is of greatest concern, and proper investigations need to be carried out.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    The SL army are thugs and war criminals. I do not really want to go off topic and there's really not much point arguing over opinions here.

At this stage it is the high number of civilian casualties that is of greatest concern, and proper investigations need to be carried out.
    No, it isn't an opinion that the LTTE murdered civilians. That is factual.

It isn't opinion that the LTTE forced children to fight for them despite the objections of their family. This is clearly written out by the UN and other human rights organisations.

If you don't want to talk about the LTTE, then don't bring them up and call them "freedom fighters". By doing so, you destroy the credibility of the movement attempting to bring SL Government members and LTTE members ( mainly in Europe) to war crime tribunals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3nTr0pY)
    Of course there was plenty of time - no independent witnesses were allowed in so the SL government had all the time in the world. There are reports of rape as well as murder but since only civilians were allowed in the area and not hr groups, getting information out into the open has been a mammoth task.

I do however concur that most probably the UN will do nothing about it. Let's be honest, the governments of the world don't really care about human rights abuses - it's certainly not high on their agenda of problems to solve.

Rajapaksa may have ended the war but at an awful and unacceptable cost involving the slaughtering of tens of thousands of innocent civilians whose lives could have easily been spared. Furthermore, people living in much of the north and north east have nothing at all. Many are held in camps with no future prospects with many family members murdered and their whole lives ripped apart. Meanwhile the government turns a blind eye towards them. I know - I have relatives there.

as much as we don't agree on these issues, i hope your relatives are okay
    have u contacted them?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should research the history a bit more. Why did an armed struggle even start?

Tamil tigers are freedom fighters.

No, it isn't an opinion that the LTTE murdered civilians. That is factual.

It isn't opinion that the LTTE forced children to fight for them despite the objections of their family. This is clearly written out by the UN and other human rights organisations.

If you don't want to talk about the LTTE, then don't bring them up and call them "freedom fighters". By doing so, you destroy the credibility of the movement attempting to bring SL Government members and LTTE members ( mainly in Europe) to war crime tribunals.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sri Lanka was cleared of Allegations and attempts by various racist groups to disrupt its reputation.

Sri Lanka Replies back:

http://www.colombospace.com/Video/270
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should research the history a bit more. Why did an armed struggle even start?

Tamil tigers are freedom fighters.
    If you are going to respond to me then actually respond to the points that I made such as murder of civilians or the kidnap of children. Simply stating that they are freedom fighters does not make them so.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feesfees)
    Sri Lanka was cleared of Allegations and attempts by various racist groups to disrupt its reputation.

Sri Lanka Replies back:

http://www.colombospace.com/Video/270
    It was not cleared of allegations by the UN.

A nonsensical 5 minute to response to one point is not enough to debunk pages of documented evidence by the UN and other organisations.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't even watch the whole thing! It was too sad! Horrific what some humans can do to each other!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    for all those who said sri lanka commited war crime:

Sri Lanka was cleared of the allegations at a meeting held to raise awareness amongst all member countries of the UN regarding the Channel 4 documentary. The conspirators were made speechless by the answers offered by Sri Lanka.

http://www.asiantribune.com/news/201...entary-exposed

check the video out on youtube. channel four was wrong.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sh123:))
    for all those who said sri lanka commited war crime:

Sri Lanka was cleared of the allegations at a meeting held to raise awareness amongst all member countries of the UN regarding the Channel 4 documentary. The conspirators were made speechless by the answers offered by Sri Lanka.

http://www.asiantribune.com/news/201...entary-exposed

check the video out on youtube. channel four was wrong.
    Stop spamming the message board. Someone has already written a virtually identical post and it has already been replied to.

Furthermore, no where in the article does it suggest that Sri Lanka were clearled of the allegations by UN. In fact, if you bother to read the UN reports that I have linked time and time again, they repeat the allegations made by Channel 4.

So stop pretending that the UN or any international tribunal has cleared you of the allegations. The allegations made by Channel 4 are old allegations that were known about the UN for a long time.

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to respond to me then actually respond to the points that I made such as murder of civilians or the kidnap of children. Simply stating that they are freedom fighters does not make them so.
    Look to be honest I don't need to respond to your points in order to say that they are freedom fighters.

A fraction of the size of SL army and still managed to fight for over 25 years. Stop trying to make it out like they were fighting without a cause. Tell me how the tamil populated areas in the north and east are doing now. Vacant homes stolen by the SL army. To run a business= weekly bribe to the SL army. Any complaints dismissed by Police. Crime is on the increase. Economy poor. Thousands still in camps, with high number missing. Girls taken away from camps never to be seen after. Tamils get treated in an inhumane way back there. University places/jobs given favour to Sinhalese population.

Lets compare this to 6 years ago when LTTE were controlling their areas. Own bank, own court system, own police force, proper education, and economy was increasing by the day.

Mmmm so who is to blame for the armed stuggle? People coming together to fight against the discrimination of Tamils= Freedom fighters. People holding a gun to get paid and go home= SL army.

No point talking behind your computer screen and reading out reports to me and asking me to respond to your points.

The videos shown by are Channel4 are still resonating in my mind every day and I hope it never happens again, to anyone in the world.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look to be honest I don't need to respond to your points in order to say that they are freedom fighters.

A fraction of the size of SL army and still managed to fight for over 25 years. Stop trying to make it out like they were fighting without a cause. Tell me how the tamil populated areas in the north and east are doing now. Vacant homes stolen by the SL army. To run a business= weekly bribe to the SL army. Any complaints dismissed by Police. Crime is on the increase. Economy poor. Thousands still in camps, with high number missing. Girls taken away from camps never to be seen after. Tamils get treated in an inhumane way back there. University places/jobs given favour to Sinhalese population.

Lets compare this to 6 years ago when LTTE were controlling their areas. Own bank, own court system, own police force, proper education, and economy was increasing by the day.

Mmmm so who is to blame for the armed stuggle? People coming together to fight against the discrimination of Tamils= Freedom fighters. People holding a gun to get paid and go home= SL army.

No point talking behind your computer screen and reading out reports to me and asking me to respond to your points.

The videos shown by are Channel4 are still resonating in my mind every day and I hope it never happens again, to anyone in the world.
    You mean you are going to refuse to respond to them. People that fight for freedom do not kidnap people and are not funded by the proceeds of criminal activity and by threatening ordinary people.

You don't care whether it happens to anyone else in the world. So stop pretending.

If you cared so much, you would apply the same standards to the SL Army to the LTTE. Obviously you don't.

Also, your support of the LTTE discredits any movement to gain anything meaningful done.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Stop spamming the message board. Someone has already written a virtually identical post and it has already been replied to.

Furthermore, no where in the article does it suggest that Sri Lanka were clearled of the allegations by UN. In fact, if you bother to read the UN reports that I have linked time and time again, they repeat the allegations made by Channel 4.

So stop pretending that the UN or any international tribunal has cleared you of the allegations. The allegations made by Channel 4 are old allegations that were known about the UN for a long time.

Stop talking rubbish you "dumb idiot". What do you know?
    btw, whats your ethnicity?
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by feesfees)
    Stop talking rubbish you "dumb idiot". What do you know?
    btw, whats your ethnicity?
    I am not sure why you are putting quotation marks around something I didn't say.

Anyway, unless you are going to answer any of the points I said then I am not interested.

The UN did not clear Sri Lanka of the allegations. Your link asserts that and only provides a 5 minute video which attempts to refute some of the allegations of an hour long documentary. That does not then mean that the UN cleared Sri Lanka of the allegations.

In fact if you read the report I provided by the UN, they repeat the allegations of the documentary:

There are a full range of allegations by the UN. None of which have been answered by the video.

My ethnicity is erroneous, I am only concerned with bringing the appropriate LTTE and SL Army War Criminals to justice for the people that they helped to murder.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=booooom;32325604]
    (Original post by savetheplanet)
    Mind you, Tamils have the right to live in Sri Lanka but this country was first inhabited by the Sinhalese and they(pro LTTE tamils) should be grateful that we even allowed them to live here all this time. The LTTE wanted to take over ONE THIRD of the country and separate it off as TAMIL only. How unfair is that? obviously there were sinhalese people living in that area as well so they would've had to kill them as well to make the area tamil only.

im not tamil and i dnt means any offense but i always thought that tamils were first to come int srilanka. i mean like ages ago when srilanka wasnt a seperate island but part of india, the island seperated from south india- tamil nadu where tamil people originated from, but even if u are right, the way u say that tamils should be grateful to sinhalese for letting them stay makes me think that u think that u are some how better than them. its because of attitudes like this, where sinhalese people treat tamils as second class, that theres so much problems goin on.

Booooom please do your research. According to the Mahavansa and archaeological evidence, the original SL natives were the indeginous veddas. Then Price Vijaya from North east India was sent in exile. They landed on an unidentified land which is now SL.
    Prince vijaya was NOT tamil. The area he came from is now Bangladesh and hence why Sinhala is an Indo-Aryan language like Bengali rather than a Dravidian language like Tamil. Vijaya and his comrades produced offspring with the veddas, and this was how the sinhalese race propagated. He did leave his veddah wife for a Tamil princess from India but there was no evidence that they had children. And THEN the tamils of the madurai dynasty wanted MORE land so they decided to invade SL by killing off the sinhalese. That was unfair. The tamils originally INVADED the country rather than living here by peaceful means.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if this is a critic of the specific UN report that you're referring to. But I found a link that criticizes the credibility of the UN report on war crimes.
    http://asiantribune.com/news/2011/06...port-sri-lanka
    Again you may refuse to believe it because it's done by a sinhalese person and may not be recognized as an "international figure" but his arguments seem quite logical.
    It's very disappointing on the part of the "Panel of experts" from the UN that they had the nerve to confuse Basil with Gotabhaya Rajapakse as Defence Secretary of State. They had enough and more information to check this very small fact but they didn't. How can you trust a whole report of alleged war crimes if they can't get this straightened out? They practically accused the wrong person!!

I finally managed to watch the video and I still think that the video is heavily biased and showed disproportionate amounts of footage about the SL govt. war crimes than the LTTE.
    The heading itself is misleading: "Sri Lanka's killing fields" implies both the LTTE and SL govt. And hence should show equal footage of war crimes perpetrated by both sides. No. It doesn't. It showed very little footage of the LTTE and practically the whole video was focused on the government. As a recognized and trusted media channel, it's wrong for them to provoke a biased opinion from its viewers by purposely showing disproportionate amounts of footage.
    Any person unaware of SL and its current situation would simply watch this video and come to the conclusion that the govt. committed the most war crimes, that there's tamil genocide in the country (which is quite laughable really), etc.
    Also the witnesseses they talked to were not very credible. It could've been anyone, even a pro tamil tiger supporter talking in that disguised figure.
    The footage shows shelling of hospitals. But then again, it's unclear whether it was actually done by government forces. It just shows the shelling of hospitals.
    The executions of "tamil prisoners" is again quite laughable since there are so many flaws in that video. Firstly, the soldier's hair is quite overgrown. Secondly,the prisoner's t-shirt is unusually clean. Thirdly, they claim that the video was taken by a SL soldier with a mobile phone? It's quite funny how it has such high quality which not even the most sophisticated nokia mobile phone has. There's also some flaws with the date and format of the footage. Full video analysis can be found here : http://www.lankamission.org/content/view/2576/49/
    http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items/2...-manipulation/
    Fourthly, the cameraman seems to be recording the image without any objections from the executers and I highly doubt this was a trophy video. They knew they'd get caught by the army if they unlawfully killed civillians like that and the government would've also taken steps to ensure that they army doesn't commit crimes like that , knowing the scrutiny they would face by the international community.
    Fifthly, they claim that the soldiers are speaking sinhala. Umm...I'm a fluent Sinhalese speaker myself but I found no audible evidence that they were speaking sinhala. Mumbling something that sounds sinhalese doesn't mean that it is sinhala.
    My guess is that these weren't SL soldiers. They were Tamil tigers dressed as SL soldiers, which is quite possible.
    A lot of you said that this video was authenticated. Just because they authenticate the video as original doesn't mean they knew who really was in that footage unless they were there.
    Getting to rape and murder, I again don't know why the soldiers would commit the crime and then RECORD it for the world to see and to make it easier for them to get caught?
    I mean the video showed very heavy sexual assault and no person in their right mind would RECORD such a crime. I mean it's like you want to steal a car and then when you do it, you film what you do. LOL. Crimes are done undercover, not on video! Again I believe most of that footage was shot by Tamil tigers dressed as SL soldiers. In another execution video, the "soldier" says "uuu baluwa" in sinhala. This means "he looked", but then this could've been a tamil tiger speaking sinhala with a perfect sinhala accent for all we know!! I mean they wouln't speak Sinhala with a tamil accent!!
    You would think that this is a silly excuse to cover up the government. The truth is no matter how much Channel 4 claims that the people in that video were SRI LANKAN ARMY SOLDIERS, no one will ever know unless they were there at the crime scene.
    Even if it was "authenticated" by a panel of experts, it's hard to trust them especially after they couldn't even get the defence secretary's identity correct. So how on earth would they know who was in that video based on insufficient information?
    Also, Channel 4 claims that some sources of the videos can't be verified. So why accuse a government and make a shockingly biased documentary based on those videos? They claim to have gotten the videos from JDS. JDS is located in GERMANY not sri lanka. No one even knows who is in that organisation, could be tamil tiger millitants themselves.
    So I guess this information asymmetry leaves us to judge by our own common sense on the authenticity of such a video. My question is this. WHY ON EARTH WOULD THE GOVERNMENT WASTE THEIR RESOURCES TARGETTING TAMIL CIVILLIANS AND THEN RECORD EVIDENCE OF SUCH BRUTAL CRIMES?
    Seriously... what do they gain out of it?
    What would the tamil tigers gain out of dressing like Sri Lankan soldiers commiting brutal crimes? PLENTY. This was their tactic.
    1. The tamil tigers at the last few stages of the war knew they were doomed and they were on the verge of defeat.
    2. The only salvation the LTTE have now is to gain invaluable international sympathy blown out of proportion by stupid tamil tiger supporters living abroad who claim that LTTE were freedom fighters and that there's tamil genocide in SL.
    3. Dress some tamil tiger as a SL soldier. Record brutal rape, murder, unidentified shelling of hospitals,etc. Pass it to a unreliable group called JDS, and then to Channel 4.
    Thanks to the many tamil tiger supporters living in the UK and their wealth, they can buy airtime on channel 4 to air a laughable documentary....the funds for which the bankrupt Channel 4 is in very much need of.
    4. Hopefully, international politicians who don't even know what they're own govt. is doing will buy this stupid joke.
    5. The govt. will be tried in court in the Hague.
    6. This makes the coast clear for an LTTE revival.

Also in the video, the documentary focuses on a woman called "Vanni Kumar" who allegedly flew from the UK to assist the tamil civillians in the north. The govt. has proved that "Vanni Kumar" and "Issai Priya" were the same person who came here illegally without a proper visa. The LTTE claims that "issai priya" was a journalist and not a soldier. Really? maybe that's why there are photos of her walking around dressed like a soldier? She was eventually killed by govt. forces.
    So again we come to the conclusion that this woman talking in the video was not vanni kumar since it was shot after she was killed!! LOL
    That doctor speaking for the hospital shelling later admitted that he was forced to give false statements by the LTTE.

The only part of the documentary I found "authentic" was the footage released by the government of the execution of terrorists. This I think was wrong for them to do. They should've kept them for fair trial and not kill them. So I think it's wrong for the government to deny ANY war crimes whatsoever.

Anyways, no one knows what really happened in those gruesome videos. Any gruesome video shown of a war is gruesome. But the question is who did it?
    Neither Channel 4 nor the UN "pannel of experts" who were denied access to those areas have enough information to prove this. In fact, no one does.
    Based on that I think the western media is blowing this out of proportion and most of the video was overwhelmingly laughable, especially that mobile video part.
    The UK govt. on the other hand should shut up and respond to their own war crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan and stop trying to butter the hearts of UK resident tamil tiger supporters, like that idiotic poster above me who claims that LTTE were freedom fighters) to win the next election.
    And then you ask, what does Obama have to do with this? A lot. You're trying to voice these "crimes" to the international community, which most of the time is hogged by Obama or the UK government. They themselves have committed war crimes and continue supporting war criminals like Israel so it's quite hypocritical that they're picking on the SL government. Your'e crying "THIEF!!!" at the SL government and going and telling a gang of thieves.
    If there's any reason why the govt. would've killed CIVILLIANS, it would've been the human shields the LTTE were using and not delibarately.
    The UN is also allegedly biased towards countries like the UK and the US who in this case seem to be supporting the tamil tigers underhand. So their credibility despite being and international organisation is questionable. You also know that any decision made by the UN has to be approved by the Veto powers, which again includes the US and UK.
    If you want to take the SL government to court, you'd have to take them all to court. The judges at Hague will have a field day!!!!
    Also you asked whether the SL govt. is suing Channel 4.... I think they're planning to but I don't think they're bothered to tbh.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 14, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki TV section

Quick link:

Unanswered TV threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.