The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hiya!what sort of extra curricular do you all do?
also, what a-levels are you thinking of taking( other than Chem)?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by AishaTara
also, what a-levels are you thinking of them ( other than Chem)?

Not many but i'll start a few enhancements in year 12.

I'm doing Biology, chemistry, maths and history :smile:
Reply 42

what sort of extra curricular do you all do?

Am doing three sciences and maths (I know, I'm cool like that).

In terms of ECs I am in a Sailing Race team (do regattas and stuff), play drums in a rock band (did my grade 8 exam last weekend) and write songs and do a bit of guitar. So mainly music and sailing to be honest.

Hi :smile: I play the piano, and have done bronze dofe. Nothing impressive :redface:

Maths, Chemistry, Biology and either Economics/French. I can't decide :s-smilie: :confused: Help?

You? :smile:
Original post by the-chosen-one
Hi :smile: I play the piano, and have done bronze dofe. Nothing impressive :redface:

Maths, Chemistry, Biology and either Economics/French. I can't decide :s-smilie: :confused: Help?

Same except German for 4th option
No extra curriculars tbh :/ just going out with friends e.g. cinema, town, bowling, parties :tongue: so i'll need to get a regular hobby going on for 6thform
Reply 45
Original post by whitemagesonia

Thanks:smile: I think she was a bit older than middle-aged:rolleyes:
I love people who are decisive and know what they want; me, on the other hand, I'm the most indecisive person I know-just about anything can change my perspective(especially when it's an admissions tutor who looks me in the forehead instead of making eye contact:confused: yup, that was weird.)

So are you intent on studying medicine?

I think so now. I'm not one of these people that wanted to do it since they were in the womb but now I've grown up a bit o__O I'm quite sure.

Although I'm going to do some more volunteering and stuff to see if it's really for me.

Whatever I do it's got to be to do with science though :biggrin:
Original post by fletchdd02
Oh right well if you have a good UKCAT then Kings may be accessible with 5

Birmingham however isn't an option with 5 as they require a minimum of 8 A*s :frown:

I know Bham accept 8A*s but they said something about if the applicant has AAA by the end of AS then they could apply with 5A*s, I personally would suggest making the most of the exams you have left.

Good luck.

(hopefully looking to apply to Kings, Bham, Sheffield, Leicester (perhaps Manchester))
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zazuwaved
I know Bham accept 8A*s but they said something about if the applicant has AAA by the end of AS then they could apply with 5A*s, I personally would suggest making the most of the exam you have left.

Good luck.

(hopefully looking to apply to Kings, Bham, Sheffield, Leicester (perhaps Manchester))

sweet! I might gap year if I don't get into the ones I want, and with good A-levels, most re-applicants aren't rejected :biggrin:
Original post by oli_G
Am doing three sciences and maths (I know, I'm cool like that).

In terms of ECs I am in a Sailing Race team (do regattas and stuff), play drums in a rock band (did my grade 8 exam last weekend) and write songs and do a bit of guitar. So mainly music and sailing to be honest.

also doing sciences and maths (dropping physics probably at A2)
Reply 49

Hey, i'm doing the same but with Spanish as a 4th option. Personally i think you should go with the language as Uni's do love their languages.
Thinking of applying to Cambridge, Imperial,Bristol and Edinburgh, predicted strsight A* s except RE which is an A, so all fingers crossed, but judging by how exams are going atm, particularly the USA source paper for History, then i'm not so sure anymore XD
Reply 50
Remember, you don't have to suck diq to succeed.
Reply 51
Wise words:smile: You know, I think I might just post that up on my motivation board next to my bed...
She said I was 'capable' when she saw I'd achieved a*'s in the three sciences, but I did also get 2 b's last year:frown: But I'v been putting more effort into those subjects this year so hopefully i'll get good grades in those:colondollar:

Three more exams for me. Good luck to you for results day:smile:

Oh I've not applied for medicine, I'm a bit older than you folks.

I would recommend this video to anyone, it's about achieving your childhood dreams. It was presented by Professor Randy Pausch who was diagnosed with terminal cancer. This was the last lecture he every made, I would recommend everyone watches it.

Original post by Larry31
Hey, i'm doing the same but with Spanish as a 4th option. Personally i think you should go with the language as Uni's do love their languages.
Thinking of applying to Cambridge, Imperial,Bristol and Edinburgh, predicted strsight A* s except RE which is an A, so all fingers crossed, but judging by how exams are going atm, particularly the USA source paper for History, then i'm not so sure anymore XD

Ah cool :biggrin: Yeah, I've heard that quite a bit. I've got this paper today, i'm doing USA too! I'm so nervous, really need A/A* :s-smilie: Good luck, I hope it's a nice paper
Reply 53

Ah cool :biggrin: Yeah, I've heard that quite a bit. I've got this paper today, i'm doing USA too! I'm so nervous, really need A/A* :s-smilie: Good luck, I hope it's a nice paper

I've got it too. Good luck D:
Original post by oli_G
I've got it too. Good luck D:

Ahhh, only 2 hours left :eek: Best of luck to you too! :smile:
Reply 55
Does anybody know whether unis take BTECs into account? Because i'm predicted 4 destinction*s at btec, but i've heard that they don't really care about btecs, just about gcses. so, for example, if they wanted 8A*s at gcse for a course, and you had 7 and a btec at distinction*, would they consider it equivalent?
Reply 56
Original post by jess_m94

Does anybody know whether unis take BTECs into account? Because i'm predicted 4 destinction*s at btec, but i've heard that they don't really care about btecs, just about gcses. so, for example, if they wanted 8A*s at gcse for a course, and you had 7 and a btec at distinction*, would they consider it equivalent?

To be honest I don't think it does, not for a course like medcine. If you get 7A*s that will be fine anyway as most unis, I know oxbridge do, look at your proportion of A*S, not the number. So if you get all a*s in your gcses someone with all a*s with more gcses are in no better position :]
hello everyone :biggrin:
anyone starting any work exp
do any extra curricular that may look good on your CVs? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by oli_G
To be honest I don't think it does, not for a course like medcine. If you get 7A*s that will be fine anyway as most unis, I know oxbridge do, look at your proportion of A*S, not the number. So if you get all a*s in your gcses someone with all a*s with more gcses are in no better position :]

Thankyou! Well, i've only taken 10 gcses, and 3 of them have been extra-curricular. Our school made us take a btec instead of more gcses :frown: so i feel at a big disadvantage to everybody with like 14 gcses! :O haha
Reply 59

Thankyou! Well, i've only taken 10 gcses, and 3 of them have been extra-curricular. Our school made us take a btec instead of more gcses :frown: so i feel at a big disadvantage to everybody with like 14 gcses! :O haha

Well don't worry you're not. My school forced me to do AS level ICT early instead of an extra GCSE so I'm only going to have 11 - and one of them was taken outside school. If you ace the ones you do you're at no disadvantage having not done like 14 XD

Latest

Trending

Trending