The Student Room Group

A muslim burdened with the finance issues of university.

Hi as you can tell by the title Im a muslim and intend to go onto university starting from 2012 ia to study pharmacy at London school of pharmacy or King's College London. However my problem is that this year is when the tuition fees rise to a ridiculously large amount. I've thought about getting a job but I cant seem to calculate how it is possible to pay off £9000 a year. And as a muslim I cannot take a student loan because it involves interest. Though the interest is very small compared to retail banks, it's still impermissible. I know that King's College do a STEM scholarship programme where they will offer the full £9000 a year for three years for 30 undergraduate students starting in 2012. But the likeliness of obtaining one of these is very small considering the amount of people applying for science and maths related subjects. So my question is whether there are any alternate sources of funding that does not require interest or any kind of scholarship that may be specific to pharmacy or just science in general that will help me to pay off these stupid tuition fees. Lol sorry for the long paragraph but its been stressing me out ever since my a/s exams finished.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Letting religion get in the way of your education is bordering on idiocy in my honest opinion. Just take out the loan. When you get a respectable wage thanks to your degree, donate a bit to charity, I'm sure you'll be forgiven.
If you do not take out a student loan, then your education will suffer.
(edited 12 years ago)
STEM is for clever students not people who object to paying interest

Try a muslim bank
That's what they are there for isn't it?
Reply 4
I know of plenty of Muslims who get a student loan, some of them being religious as well.
Tbh, as much as he hates interest, Allah probably wants you to get a good education.
Reply 6
Original post by namzy01
Hi as you can tell by the title Im a muslim and intend to go onto university starting from 2012 ia to study pharmacy at London school of pharmacy or King's College London. However my problem is that this year is when the tuition fees rise to a ridiculously large amount. I've thought about getting a job but I cant seem to calculate how it is possible to pay off £9000 a year. And as a muslim I cannot take a student loan because it involves interest. Though the interest is very small compared to retail banks, it's still impermissible. I know that King's College do a STEM scholarship programme where they will offer the full £9000 a year for three years for 30 undergraduate students starting in 2012. But the likeliness of obtaining one of these is very small considering the amount of people applying for science and maths related subjects. So my question is whether there are any alternate sources of funding that does not require interest or any kind of scholarship that may be specific to pharmacy or just science in general that will help me to pay off these stupid tuition fees. Lol sorry for the long paragraph but its been stressing me out ever since my a/s exams finished.

Ask here, http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1240627&page=396

Ask about Islam thread. You'd get more appropiate responses. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by RadioHawk
muslims cant take loans?
wtf? :lolwut:

There are rules in the Qur'an about interest; it's seen as exploitative and therefore it is forbidden for Muslims to pay or charge interest.

However, a lot of Muslims take out student loans as they see that this rule has become impractical in today's society.
Muslims cant take student loans?
I'm sorry but that's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. How long are people going to let religion hold back there lives? I'm just glad society as a a whole have finally thrown off the ridiculous shackles of religion.
I'm muslim and I strongly believe in God I'm sure Islam states one should do the best they can to progress your reasons are not valid
but yes uni fees will rise work hard! what grades you on for atm?
Reply 10
As a Muslim, I think you have to consider using the loan, I'm sure theres some compromise to it.
Reply 11
Original post by namzy01

I know what you mean, but if your parents are earning under £25k, then you get about 3,000 student grant, 1,000 busary, so about £4k off, so you got to work out about 15k, you could just borrow off your family and pay them back later....

Like me for example, just gonna stay at home and parents will pay my fees and i'll pay them back with the grant and busary.
Reply 12
LOL! If you choose not to go to uni because of this you are a fool.
Original post by LadyRowena
There are rules in the Qur'an about interest; it's seen as exploitative and therefore it is forbidden for Muslims to pay or charge interest.

However, a lot of Muslims take out student loans as they see that this rule has become impractical in today's society.

ah right i was unfamilliar with this rule and would like to thank you for expanding my education

in short:
cheers :smile:
Reply 14
It's not really interest, it's just the rate of inflation on what you owe. Look at it that way.
Original post by RadioHawk
ah right i was unfamilliar with this rule and would like to thank you for expanding my education

in short:
cheers :smile:

Any time. :smile: Although for more information I'd ask an actual Muslim or someone with more knowledge of Muslim Holy Texts than me; I don't know much about the details. :')
Reply 16
Doesn't make it right though does it?
Er I'm pretty sure that you can because its for the greater good, you're getting an education - gaining knowledge to help you carry out the will of Allah.

Otherwise, how would people purchase houses, I'm sure most people wouldn't be able to pay £300,000 upfront?
If there is no way that you can get around taking out a student loan in order to fund your university education, then I think you should indeed take out a student loan. As somebody mentioned earlier, it's not even really interest, just the rate of inflation which is not exactly the same. Plus, it is those who charge the interest rates that are viewed particularly badly in Islam as opposed to those that pay it, especially if they have no other alternative which is often the case in this society.

The importance of seeking an education in the context of Islam totally outweighs any wrongdoing that you feel you may be doing by taking out a student loan. The Prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) said that "seeking knowledge is an obligation for every Muslim" and also said to "seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave". There are MANY more ahadith of the Prophet (peace be upon him) and quotes from the Qur'an which emphasis that education is very important in Islam. Do not throw away this opportunity to go to university; Islam teaches that you will be pleasing Allah if you do go to university in order to better educate yourself.

I am a Muslim and will certainly have to take out loans to fund my university education. I will not be entitled to any kind of financial bursary, nor do my family have the money to fund me. It is for the greater good and should not be an issue that causes you so much concern.
There are debates about this, but it is said that you can take out a student loan because it is not a normal loan where they make a profit, you pay back on the inflation rate.

But if I were you, I would just study abroad tbh.

Original post by firestar101
As, a muslim, I have to say you are retarded.

As a Muslim you should be giving him advice about this instead of insulting him. You're the one being retarded here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending