Dropping Subject for A2 (Vote Plz)

This poll is closed

Drop Economics?

Yes 58%
No42%
Total votes: 24
Hi all,

I had done AS last year and got "BCDD"
I changed school and repeated AS without going into A2 and im confident i will get "AAAA".

I did the same four subjects in both year which was,
Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Economics.

I want to go into civil engineering in Bristol, sheffield etc.
I know my chances are slim for getting into a good university because of the repeat "AS" year that i've done now.

Now im going to go into A2, and i was not sure if i should drop Economics.
Im not sure how much this would affect my application, i think if i try hard i could at least get an A at the end of A2 for economics with possibility of an A*...
I didnt find economics really hard, but lot of people are saying A2 economics is hard...

so if i drop it, then i would be able to concentrate more on my other subjects more easily..

Please someone give me suggestion on what i should do and if you think i have any good chance of getting into top uni's (UCL) if i get say minimium A*A*A ...

Thanks
Reply 1
any comments too plz
Reply 2
If your confident you can achieve an AAA In Phys/Math/Further Math, then that would be okay I guess, seen as they only count 3 A-Levels. However with Further Math being an extremely tough subject, having a back up (Economics) would be nice, especially if you could get A* in it!
personally i think that it should be your own choice, not everybody elses :frown:

i know its hard (i took 6 as levels cause i couldnt choose!). it sounds really stupid but if you write down pros and cons and then weigh them up (dont count which has more pros!) then it helps to visualise them more.

hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Sagacious
If your confident you can achieve an AAA In Phys/Math/Further Math, then that would be okay I guess, seen as they only count 3 A-Levels. However with Further Math being an extremely tough subject, having a back up (Economics) would be nice, especially if you could get A* in it!

"only count 3 A-Levels" , say if they wanted AAA, and i get AAAA, then wouldn't the fourth "A" have much of an effect? Because theres no point in me struggling to get another A if it isn't going to affect my application...i thought if i get the fourth A, then i might have better chance since im retaking 1st year?
Reply 5
I've only seen a fourth full A-level having an effect for ICL, in that they expect you to get 4As rather than 3As, so you're only going to make it harder for yourself.

It is not going to have much effect, so I wouldn't bother if I was you. AAA is better than AABB.

However, there might be requirements based on your university course where you can't count both Maths and Further Maths separately. For instance, say you are applying for a course which requires two science A levels - they might say that maths can count as one of them, but maths + further maths can't count as both. But there aren't many of these requirements.

Phys/Math/Further Math is the perfect combination for your chosen course.
The only reason I would think of carrying on economics in your situation is if your aren't certain that you want to do Civ. Eng. and that you might want to change to Economics later so it would help.
Reply 6
Original post by Killerstorm2
"only count 3 A-Levels" , say if they wanted AAA, and i get AAAA, then wouldn't the fourth "A" have much of an effect? Because theres no point in me struggling to get another A if it isn't going to affect my application...i thought if i get the fourth A, then i might have better chance since im retaking 1st year?

They do and they don't count the fourth in a way... if the fourth relates to what you want to do then that's a huge bonus for your application. But if it isn't really linked to what you want to do then I don't know how much they will focus on Economics/the fourth a level. The 'standard offer' consists of 3 a levels, but i'm sure if you did something like a joint-honour in Maths & Economics then they would take all four into consideration, because they all relate.
Reply 7
Original post by RVNmax
I've only seen a fourth full A-level having an effect for ICL, in that they expect you to get 4As rather than 3As, so you're only going to make it harder for yourself.

It is not going to have much effect, so I wouldn't bother if I was you. AAA is better than AABB.

However, there might be requirements based on your university course where you can't count both Maths and Further Maths separately. For instance, say you are applying for a course which requires two science A levels - they might say that maths can count as one of them, but maths + further maths can't count as both. But there aren't many of these requirements.

Phys/Math/Further Math is the perfect combination for your chosen course.
The only reason I would think of carrying on economics in your situation is if your aren't certain that you want to do Civ. Eng. and that you might want to change to Economics later so it would help.

Thanks,
The 5 Uni's im thinking of applying to just states "including mathematics and physics"...it does not say anything about further maths. So should i take it as that further maths is counted as another subject?
Reply 8
poll closing on sunday, plz all vote!!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest