The Student Room Group

AQA Psychology PSYA4 21st June.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Chazra
i pray depression is a split question on biology/ classification that would be so good! psychological explanations and therapys confuse me!!!

Psychological therapies for depression came up in january so doubt it'll be that, I think something biological is likely
Original post by flynstar
You have to sign up, but the resources are free:
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/subjects/psychology

addiction notes:
http://psychology4a.com/addictive%201.htm

:smile:

These are great, thank you!! :biggrin:
Reply 42
Original post by angelbones
These are great, thank you!! :biggrin:

You're welcome :smile: I'm not even doing addiction lol I just happened to find that resource! what topics are you doing?
You're welcome :smile: I'm not even doing addiction lol I just happened to find that resource! what topics are you doing?

Schizophrenia, Addiction and Research Methods. I'm okay on everything except Addiction!
How about you? :smile:
Reply 44
Schizophrenia, Addiction and Research Methods. I'm okay on everything except Addiction!
How about you? :smile:

Schizophrenia, Media (I can't actually express my hate for this topic) and research methods. It seems all the 'psychology in action' options people are finding most difficult!
Schizophrenia, Media (I can't actually express my hate for this topic) and research methods. It seems all the 'psychology in action' options people are finding most difficult!

It's a toss-up between Media, Addiction and Anomalous Experience as to which is worse.
As far as I can tell from reading the others in my textbook, they're all really boring too.
Reply 46
It's a toss-up between Media, Addiction and Anomalous Experience as to which is worse.
As far as I can tell from reading the others in my textbook, they're all really boring too.

Nice to know AQA want us to pass by giving us such interesting, memorable topics ¬¬
How's your revision going?
Nice to know AQA want us to pass by giving us such interesting, memorable topics ¬¬
How's your revision going?

Well, I was revising this afternoon on my bed, and, er, somehow fell asleep :tongue: so not great. I'm feeling fairly confident for Schizophrenia though (my teacher gave us some awesome notes and we've done lots of practice papers with her) and I just need to go over a couple of things for Research Methods. Tomorrow will be all about Addiction!
Yours?
Reply 48
Well, I was revising this afternoon on my bed, and, er, somehow fell asleep :tongue: so not great. I'm feeling fairly confident for Schizophrenia though (my teacher gave us some awesome notes and we've done lots of practice papers with her) and I just need to go over a couple of things for Research Methods. Tomorrow will be all about Addiction!
Yours?

LOL nice, that's why i don't revise in my bedroom :P I'd say I need to read over schizophrenia and research methods but I haven't finished my media notes and it's taking ages! Plus my psychology exam clashes with my Physics exam, which needs soooo much attention, so I have limited psych revision time :frown:

then again, I taught myself the whole of eating behaviour for unit 3 the day before in Jan!
Aaahh, good luck for physics D:
Reply 50

as far as i'm aware anomalous is DEF the worst!
it's so stupid
but i'm predicting that psychokenesis and deception COULD come up as they haven't yet

for anyone doing schizophrenia i'm thinking biological and/or psychological explanations?? what do people think?

and any tips for stat tests on research methods? thats not going in :confused:
Original post by RobertWhite
I revised for two days before PSYA3 and think I got 100% again (I did in Jan PSYA4) due to the really low grade boundaries. If you're cramming, like I had too. Use the method of loci to learn names (memory palace technique), and then remember you pick up most of the marks from evaluation and application. If you can talk about a few theories, and most of them are transparent across the bored, for example, you can talk about social learning theory in most psychological approaches, then evaluate it like a crazy man for the most marks. In evaluation, include:

Experiment type, weaknesses and strengths, ie. Lab, field, observational
Is the research ethical?
Is it a questionaire, weaknesses?
Are the participants representative of the general population?
Is it an emic construct, hence used as an imposed etic?
Are they volunteers and so a personality trait which may affect validity?
Are they providing socially desirable answers?
Are there any order effects?
Are there any demand characteristics?
Did they give informed consent?
Is it an interview, and so may not tell the truth (same with questionaire)?
Is it reliable, ie, sample size?
Is it reductionist?
Is it deterministic?
Is it ethnocentric
Is it geynocentric?
Is it androcentric?
Is it correlational, and so cannot dirently infer cause and effect?
Is it based on empirical evidence?
Is it falsisiable, and so a valid theory (Karl Popper)?

Hopefully this helps, just remember; cram the theories, rape the evaluation!

I'm also practically self teaching, and I'm finding it difficult to evaluate theories their own. If I had more detailed studies to evaluate it would be easier.
Oh dear, I'm absolutely dreading this. Anyone else doing OCD, Media and Research Methods?

Media is sooo long! I find that spider diagrams and constantly taking notes and reading helps.. last year for AS I recorded my voice to help it get into my head but I'm not going that far this year haha.
Research Methods is tedious, most hideous topic ever!

Good luck with the exam everyone! :smile:
I forgot to mention, anyone doing OCD, apparently Biological explanations and therapies is likely to come up as it hasn't before :smile: hope that helps

Original post by x10
doing OCD, anomalous and research methods

Please does anyone have any predictions....

Sorry only just saw this.. I think for OCD, maybe Biological therapies and explanations and maybe for media, the persuasion stuff .. hovland-yale model etc
Anyone doing schizophrenia? I'm thinking bio explanations will come up because literally everything else has :P im praying for 25 marker on bio explanation to come up for schizophrenia, i can't deal with the issues and classification around it >:frown: its just boring, and for media i hope Hovland and yale model and elaboration likelihood model comes up!! that would just like make my day ...
Reply 56
Does ethics count as A02????
Reply 57
Advice for any 'design a study' questions, sounds stupid but I've used a little memory technique, the sentence 'An Everso Violent Person Doesn't Play Enough Martial Arts' (AEVPDPEMA), this is all you need to gain fulls marks on a design question.
Aim, Experimental/Null hypothesis, Variables, Participants, Design (e.g. repeated measures), Procedure, Ethics, Materials used (e.g. need a speaker if playing audio to participants) and Analysis (e.g. use Spearmans Rho). At least with this method you know you won't forget anything vital. :smile:
Original post by jackylewri
I can share with you my research methods booklet, which has everything you need to know (apart from Statistics), but you only really need to learn a table for how to do statistics. Let me know and I'll post it up, if you want the statistics tale I'll write it up and add it on

Hey Jackylewri, It would be great if you could share your resources, to make sure :tongue:

Thank you
anyone know the Jan 2011 questions for Depression, Media and research Methods?

Thank you :smile:...good luck for tomorrow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending