The Student Room Group

Where for journalism?

Okay I'm sure there's a dozen threads on this subject but I'm too lazy to go looking through the archives. So I ask you good people: where are the 'best' places to study journalism in your opinion. At the moment I am visiting/have visited:

Sheffield
Bournemouth
Portsmouth
Brunel
City
Leeds Trinity
London Met

I realise some have better reputations than others but I'm wondering, from your personal experience or whatever, if you have any views on, either the ones I've picked, or any I've missed out.

Thanks,
Tom :smile:
Sheffield, Bournemouth and City are often the ones that people say are 'the best', though 'the best' is hard to define. You should maybe also think about Nottingham Trent and Cardiff.

You can also look here - it's sorted by student satisfaction for the course which I think tells you more than league tables, etc. Not all of the courses there are specifically journalism so just look at the ones that are. You can then click on the courses and it'll give you more information about it, and specifics about what exactly the students like about the courses. And you can search for other courses that aren't there to give you a better idea :smile:
Reply 2
Check out De montfort university! I study Single hons Journalism there and i absolutely adore the course!
Its NCTJ Accredited which makes it one of the best and the head of the course is an ex newspaper editor and insanely brilliant man Tor Clarke with the rest of the staff having worked in the industry before! It has an 85% + student satisfaction rating which is brilliant and the city, nightlife, atmosphere is all brilliant!

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/faculties/humanities/undergraduate-degree-courses/ba-degree-courses/journalism/
Reply 3
Original post by SamGee
Check out De montfort university! I study Single hons Journalism there and i absolutely adore the course!
Its NCTJ Accredited which makes it one of the best and the head of the course is an ex newspaper editor and insanely brilliant man Tor Clarke with the rest of the staff having worked in the industry before! It has an 85% + student satisfaction rating which is brilliant and the city, nightlife, atmosphere is all brilliant!

http://www.dmu.ac.uk/faculties/humanities/undergraduate-degree-courses/ba-degree-courses/journalism/

Awesome, I'll have to check that out. Cheers!
I seem to recall that Kent does Journalism.

Edit: http://www.kent.ac.uk/journalism/why/kent.html

It's accredited by NCTJ. Don't know much else about it haha
Older sister is making her way as a journo. Don't want to depress you, but few news producers (papers, agencies, TV etc) are impressed by journalism studies. They would prefer a rigorous academic degree (history, politics economics etc) with evidence of committment to something like uni paper, local radio etc.
Reply 7
from experience, all i would say is look at as many prospectuses as you can and find the courses that you find most interesting then visit the uni and the course. I for example had my heart set on sheffield, then went to cardiff who i had little interest for and loved it so much more. So don't necessarily think whats the best or wheres the nicest place because you might not actually enjoy it as much :smile:
Original post by Guygp
from experience, all i would say is look at as many prospectuses as you can and find the courses that you find most interesting then visit the uni and the course. I for example had my heart set on sheffield, then went to cardiff who i had little interest for and loved it so much more. So don't necessarily think whats the best or wheres the nicest place because you might not actually enjoy it as much :smile:

I agree with this - I had my heart set on City before visiting it, when I realised that I really wouldn't be happy there. My mum forced me to go and visit Sheffield, before that I didn't want to even go and see it because I was convinced that I wanted to stay in London. I'm so very glad that I went to the open day, because the uni and the course is perfect for me.

You might have a preference for one course based on what you've heard but you only really know once you go and visit it and you get a feel for the surroundings and the lecturers and everything. So try and visit as many unis as you can, OP! You'll find one that's perfect for you :smile:
Sheffield, Kent and Cardiff in my opinion.
I want to do a journalism course for uni so bad but only these universities do journalism but I need a university with better reputation (e.g. universities with entry requirements of at least AAB) for me to apply for scholarship.

So I'm taking human geography in uni (which is also my interest, but not as much as journalism because I'm dying to become a journalist) and probably do a journalism master degree.
I originally applied for Cardiff a few months back when I was doing UCAS, they sent me an email advising me to change my choice. Basically, it's because unis like Cardiff and City are both considered good courses for Journalism but they don't do any practical work.
From what they told me in the email, they teach via lecture rather than experience so I guess it depends on how you want to learn.

I would prefer practical work so I changed my choice to an NCTJ accredited course, which teach much more practical methods of journalism.
Original post by hownowbrownowl
I originally applied for Cardiff a few months back when I was doing UCAS, they sent me an email advising me to change my choice. Basically, it's because unis like Cardiff and City are both considered good courses for Journalism but they don't do any practical work.
From what they told me in the email, they teach via lecture rather than experience so I guess it depends on how you want to learn.

I would prefer practical work so I changed my choice to an NCTJ accredited course, which teach much more practical methods of journalism.

They advised you to change your course?! To what? Another course at Cardiff or another uni altogether? How strange!
Original post by apassingfeeling
They advised you to change your course?! To what? Another course at Cardiff or another uni altogether? How strange!

Well I changed it from Cardiff to Portsmouth, DRASTIC difference in entry requirements aha. But it didn't really matter because I wasn't really set on going to Cardiff at all, I just needed to fill up my 5 UCAS choices....
Original post by hownowbrownowl
Well I changed it from Cardiff to Portsmouth, DRASTIC difference in entry requirements aha. But it didn't really matter because I wasn't really set on going to Cardiff at all, I just needed to fill up my 5 UCAS choices....

That's pretty much the only reason I applied there as well, I never really thought I'd end up going there! But that's more because I used to live in Cardiff and didn't really want to go to uni there :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending