The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
tis_me_lord
then the conclusion can be unique by saying "well this hidden curriculum larky is pretty good, despite its flaws... although it's only a partial explination and the home factors must be taken into account." But written properly, obviously. :p:
In other words, an inconclusive conclusion :p:

kellywood_5
Well, you could also mention in the conclusion that it's impossible to generalise the working-class because different genders and ethnicities perform differently, so the achievement of a working-class, Afro-Caribbean male will be very different to that of a working-class white female. You're right though, it would only be something you could briefly touch on.
If you pop "A postmodernist would argue that..." on the front of this argument, you'll look super-clever cos most people don't do PoMo till A2.
Peacey
In other words, an inconclusive conclusion :p:

If you pop "A postmodernist would argue that..." on the front of this argument, you'll look super-clever cos most people don't do PoMo till A2.

Really? I did it at AS. Never called it PoMo though, I quite like that :p:
Reply 22
kellywood_5
Really? I did it at AS. Never called it PoMo though, I quite like that :p:

Which board do you study? And have you done it as a theory (causes, principles, effects, etc), or as applied to topics?

The abbreviation is excellent...and, postmodernism originating from the Czech Republic (if there was any) would be BoHo PoMo...and if we exported it to a trendy region of London it would be Soho BoHo PoMo.

*Is having fun* (I have entire lessons like this)

EDIT: Just realised that the above joke only makes sense if you know that Bohemia (BoHo) is a region near Prague.
Peacey
You could be a smarta*se and bring in ethnicity in the second question by noting that those groups who tend to underachieve also tend to be poor.

If its a proper exam paper that you've been set, then the second question will be AO1=6 and AO2=14 so you need to spend more than a paragraph challenging the claim made in the paragraph (a good half of the essay).

You wanna explain what this AO1, AO2 business is? May be useful for my AS retake in the summer......

kellywood
But if you put in a paragraph before the conclusion, that makes it part of the main body of the essay, and since the question focuses exclusively on school factors, I don't think it's relevant to include it there. Mentioning it in conclusion would round off the essay nicely and show the examiner that you were aware of other arguments.

It belongs in the main body... it's evaluation to say the "other" things. Like if we're asked on religion about religion being a force for change we still talk about the status quo... as our evaluation.

In other words, an inconclusive conclusion

No, because that's saying you think the hidden curriculum is a pretty good idea. Or you could say the opposite but my personal leanings tend to be with the left. :p:

Oh and post modernists absolutely suck, they don't really say anything... they're pointless.
Reply 24
tis_me_lord
You wanna explain what this AO1, AO2 business is? May be useful for my AS retake in the summer......

AO1 = Knowledge, Understanding - fairly straightforward.

AO2 = Evaluation and Analysis - bit more nebulous; you've obviously got your strengths and weaknesses and comparison and contrasts, but using other theories (as long as they're related to the question) also counts. So for instance, criticising in-school factors by highlighting studies of material deprivation would count.

In general, you earn your AO1s by addressing the main claim, and AO2s by challenging it (although some of your analysis marks will be on general coherence of argument).

Different balance for different questions...

e: AO1=14, AO2=6 (therefore more time addressing main claim)

f: AO1=6, AO2=14 (therefore more time challenging it - although this is a bit naive as you also need to deal with the main claim before you can challenge it).

tis_me_lord
It belongs in the main body... it's evaluation to say the "other" things. Like if we're asked on religion about religion being a force for change we still talk about the status quo... as our evaluation.

I concur - otherwise, you run the risk of your conclusion reading as an "...and here's everything I forgot to mention in the main body"

tis_me_lord
No, because that's saying you think the hidden curriculum is a pretty good idea. Or you could say the opposite but my personal leanings tend to be with the left. :p:
I think we've been arguing at cross purposes here - I agree with this approach, as long as you acknowledge that there is no exclusive explanation. Poor conclusions are one's that say "and the hidden curriculum explains everything. the end".

tis_me_lord
Oh and post modernists absolutely suck, they don't really say anything... they're pointless.

I like 'em, they're fun. And its a useful perspective when looking at things like identity and consumption.

There is also some debate over whether PoMo is a perspective, or an era in society - I think there is more to be gained from study of the latter.

And with that, I shall retire to the pub. Adieu
Peacey
AO1 = Knowledge, Understanding - fairly straightforward.

AO2 = Evaluation and Analysis - bit more nebulous; you've obviously got your strengths and weaknesses and comparison and contrasts, but using other theories (as long as they're related to the question) also counts. So for instance, criticising in-school factors by highlighting studies of material deprivation would count.

In general, you earn your AO1s by addressing the main claim, and AO2s by challenging it (although some of your analysis marks will be on general coherence of argument).

Different balance for different questions...

e: AO1=14, AO2=6 (therefore more time addressing main claim)

f: AO1=6, AO2=14 (therefore more time challenging it - although this is a bit naive as you also need to deal with the main claim before you can challenge it).

lol, I know what knowledge and evaluation are... just didn't know one essay wants more of one than the other. Fancy never being told that... I ought to go and find the teacher and make her tell people that!

I think we've been arguing at cross purposes here - I agree with this approach, as long as you acknowledge that there is no exclusive explanation. Poor conclusions are one's that say "and the hidden curriculum explains everything. the end".

lol, that would be the worst thing to do... but I don't like having absolutely no opinion at all just because you know it's flawed... you still need to pick something but just say you know there's criticisms about it.

I like 'em, they're fun. And its a useful perspective when looking at things like identity and consumption.

There is also some debate over whether PoMo is a perspective, or an era in society - I think there is more to be gained from study of the latter.

And with that, I shall retire to the pub. Adieu

I like most theorists, theory is interesting, but I have a vendetta against interactionalists, anything more social action than them, and post modernists.

It's not a perspective because they don't say anything! :p:

p.s. you're an alcoholic. :eek:
Peacey
Which board do you study? And have you done it as a theory (causes, principles, effects, etc), or as applied to topics?

The abbreviation is excellent...and, postmodernism originating from the Czech Republic (if there was any) would be BoHo PoMo...and if we exported it to a trendy region of London it would be Soho BoHo PoMo.

*Is having fun* (I have entire lessons like this)

EDIT: Just realised that the above joke only makes sense if you know that Bohemia (BoHo) is a region near Prague.

I'm on AQA. We did all the perspectives applied to our topics; education and family. Although I agree with tis me lord- postmodernists don't seem to have many theories of their own, they just rant about how the world is changing and all the other perspectives are wrong :p:

Well, I didn't, but I do now! You learn something new every day. Sounds like your lessons are pretty fun! :cool:

--------------

tis_me_lord

Surely social factors are other things if the question is about school factors? :confused: And therefore, in this case, I'd put it in the evaluation. But in a question asking you to assess whether religion is a force for social change, you'd need to talk about the status quo in the main body because half the essay would be on change and half would be on conservatism, then the evaluation would sum everything up. That's how I'd do it anyway, but we can agree to disagree :p:
kellywood_5
Surely social factors are other things if the question is about school factors? :confused: And therefore, in this case, I'd put it in the evaluation. But in a question asking you to assess whether religion is a force for social change, you'd need to talk about the status quo in the main body because half the essay would be on change and half would be on conservatism, then the evaluation would sum everything up. That's how I'd do it anyway, but we can agree to disagree :p:

Evaluation belongs in the main body....

In this social change question the status quo part is evaluation, not just summing it all up, or you'd never get 20 marks for it. :p:
tis_me_lord
Evaluation belongs in the main body....

In this social change question the status quo part is evaluation, not just summing it all up, or you'd never get 20 marks for it. :p:

Well, you kind of evaluate it as you go along anyway because you do your introduction, then you talk about social change, then you talk about status quo and then you do your conclusion. We had an essay on it a while ago and that's how I did it.
kellywood_5
Well, you kind of evaluate it as you go along anyway because you do your introduction, then you talk about social change, then you talk about status quo and then you do your conclusion. We had an essay on it a while ago and that's how I did it.

That's what I said. :p:
tis_me_lord
That's what I said. :p:

Lol good cos this debate's getting old :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending