Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Who's doing computer science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ayrminas
Hello, I'll be studying the BSc Computer Science with Games Development course this year. I'm a bit worried about it as I've never had any experience with programming! Is anyone else in the same case as me?

I've just finished my first year (this thread is actually a year old lol)... I had no programming knowledge whatsoever and have been fine, don't worry!

Rob miles who teaches C# the first year is amazing at doing so.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 61
Original post by ScotteYx
I've just finished my first year (this thread is actually a year old lol)... I had no programming knowledge whatsoever and have been fine, don't worry!

Rob miles who teaches C# the first year is amazing at doing so.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Oh thank god, i thought i would be the only one! You've made me feel a bit more confident about starting the course now :P

What do you think of the course now that you've done your first year? Was there anything that you thought was too difficult within the course?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Oh thank god, i thought i would be the only one! You've made me feel a bit more confident about starting the course now :P

What do you think of the course now that you've done your first year? Was there anything that you thought was too difficult within the course?

There's nothing overly difficult. But there is a mind-numbingly boring (and easy) module called 'IT and Professional Skills'. You get taught how to use word, powerpoint etc, a few bits on databases and SQL, and more bits on laws related to computing and stuff. It may sound difficult but trust me, it's anything but.

Also, if you've not done maths at a level, they'll probably make you do a maths module, which was the case for me this year.

Here's the modules you'll do in your first year:

Programming 1 - you'll be learning C#. (Rob Miles tries to be a stand up comedian during the most of his lecturers :biggrin: ) You'll have one programming assignement and an exam in January.

IT and Pro Skills - as explained above (you'll meet the almighty lecturer named Bing Wang... /sarcasm lol)

Computer Systems - Operating systems and hardware (taught by two different lecturers, the guy who does OS's is a bit of a knob lol, goes through his slides way too fast)

Software Engineering - Split into three parts: Algorithims, Software production processes and a group project. Different lecturers for each part.

Programming 2 - pretty much a continuation of prog 1. Starts semester 2. You'll have another programming assingment and an exam in May.

You get one free elective module (you get to choose out of: 'Maths', 'The Internet: More than just Surfing and Spam' and 'Computer Games Technology'). Though like I said if you didn't do maths at a level they'll make you do the maths module, unless they change it for next year.

Good luck!
Reply 63
I'm hopefully going to be doing Computer Science at Hull in September but after going to the Applicant Day I'm thinking about the possibility of switching to the Computer Science with Games Development course if they let me. Have people been able to do this before?
Reply 64
Original post by Bektas
There's nothing overly difficult. But there is a mind-numbingly boring (and easy) module called 'IT and Professional Skills'. You get taught how to use word, powerpoint etc, a few bits on databases and SQL, and more bits on laws related to computing and stuff. It may sound difficult but trust me, it's anything but.

Also, if you've not done maths at a level, they'll probably make you do a maths module, which was the case for me this year.

Here's the modules you'll do in your first year:

Programming 1 - you'll be learning C#. (Rob Miles tries to be a stand up comedian during the most of his lecturers :biggrin: ) You'll have one programming assignement and an exam in January.

IT and Pro Skills - as explained above (you'll meet the almighty lecturer named Bing Wang... /sarcasm lol)

Computer Systems - Operating systems and hardware (taught by two different lecturers, the guy who does OS's is a bit of a knob lol, goes through his slides way too fast)

Software Engineering - Split into three parts: Algorithims, Software production processes and a group project. Different lecturers for each part.

Programming 2 - pretty much a continuation of prog 1. Starts semester 2. You'll have another programming assingment and an exam in May.

You get one free elective module (you get to choose out of: 'Maths', 'The Internet: More than just Surfing and Spam' and 'Computer Games Technology'). Though like I said if you didn't do maths at a level they'll make you do the maths module, unless they change it for next year.

Good luck!

Sounds very interesting, thank you for the information! :smile:

Yeah i haven't done maths at a level so I'll be doing a maths module then. I haven't done maths for a couple of years now as the course I'm currently on is a BTEC in IT. Can't wait to get back into maths.

Yeah I've heard good things about Rob Miles, he pretty much tried to be a stand up comedian on the applicant day! :P

Oh dear a lecturer that goes through slides way too fast. I can tell now I'm not gonna enjoy his lectures!

Also i assume you'll need some form of equipment to make notes during the lectures, yeah?

Reply 65
Original post by lfcfred09
I'm hopefully going to be doing Computer Science at Hull in September but after going to the Applicant Day I'm thinking about the possibility of switching to the Computer Science with Games Development course if they let me. Have people been able to do this before?

I don't think that should be a problem. I'm pretty sure that during the first year of all the computer science related courses they all consist of pretty much the same modules.

Sounds very interesting, thank you for the information! :smile:

Yeah i haven't done maths at a level so I'll be doing a maths module then. I haven't done maths for a couple of years now as the course I'm currently on is a BTEC in IT. Can't wait to get back into maths.

Yeah I've heard good things about Rob Miles, he pretty much tried to be a stand up comedian on the applicant day! :P

Oh dear a lecturer that goes through slides way too fast. I can tell now I'm not gonna enjoy his lectures!

Also i assume you'll need some form of equipment to make notes during the lectures, yeah?

A pen and a notepad would suffice (like I used for most of year), but I did bring in my laptop on the odd occasion and quite a few people did bring in their laptops to make notes. It's just personal prefence though. Some people didn't even make notes.
Reply 67
Original post by Bektas
A pen and a notepad would suffice (like I used for most of year), but I did bring in my laptop on the odd occasion and quite a few people did bring in their laptops to make notes. It's just personal prefence though. Some people didn't even make notes.

I guess I'll use a pen and notepad, it's a lot cheaper :P. I honestly don't know how people can't make notes in a lecture, isn't that one of the main things to do in a lecture other than listen and watch? XD

Quick Reply

Latest