The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL Information Management for Business 2012 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Just chose this offer as my firm today :smile: I'm an international student so my conditions are different but I hope that I'll meet them. Im slightly scared about the computing content of the course, as I have studied social sciences in college and don't have too much IT knowledge. However I hope that it will turn out fine, because I think it's an amazing course.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 161
what do u guys think when this course compared to warwick management?
I am a bit worried about the programming bit will annoys me...
please advice.
Reply 162
I have selected this as my first as well and done the accommodation as well ( which was a pain haha) but I need to ask. That in comparison to Warwick, UCL's course is more business based yes ?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 163
Hello everyone,

I'm an international student starting to study in UCL next year, got an unconditional offer to the IMB course.

I was wandering what is the knowledge level in math that is expected of you during the course? precalculus. calculus?
Just want to know so I can prepare myself..

If anyone have some information regarding the math level that is required for surviving this course I'll be happy to hear from him...

Thanks!!

Jonathan,
Original post by jdurban
Hello everyone,

I'm an international student starting to study in UCL next year, got an unconditional offer to the IMB course.

I was wandering what is the knowledge level in math that is expected of you during the course? precalculus. calculus?
Just want to know so I can prepare myself..

If anyone have some information regarding the math level that is required for surviving this course I'll be happy to hear from him...

Thanks!!

Jonathan,

Hey Jonathan,

There is no real need to have any detailed knowledge of maths for the course unless you choose to do your second/third year optional modules in a mathematical topic. In the first year you do accountancy which obviously requires basic calculations and ratios but nothing more. In your second year you do Business Analytics which involves some statistics but again nothing to calculus level and what is taught is taught from scratch, so unless you want to take an economics/maths module I wouldn't worry about maths too much.

James
Hi guys,
I firmed this course for 2012 entry, I had to go through the interview process which in all fairness wasn't intense. Gl to everyone :smile:
Yeah good luck guys, as usual if anyone has any questions about the course feel free to message me. I'm pretty busy at the moment as I'm on an internship but I'll get back to you when I can.
Original post by jamz0770
Yeah good luck guys, as usual if anyone has any questions about the course feel free to message me. I'm pretty busy at the moment as I'm on an internship but I'll get back to you when I can.

Hi James,

Just wondering there is any e-commerce aspect to this course.
Original post by Perceverence
Hi James,

Just wondering there is any e-commerce aspect to this course.

Yes, there is at least one module solely focussed on it ("E-business in a competitive environment") and many others feature elements of e-commerce too.
Original post by jamz0770
Yes, there is at least one module solely focussed on it ("E-business in a competitive environment") and many others feature elements of e-commerce too.

Oh ok, cheers for the info and now I just need to meet those grades
I've got a place on this course - started at UCL last year studying ESPS but left that course and transferring. Was hoping someone doing the course might be able to answer a couple of questions:

1) How academically rigorous have you found the course?
2) How many hours a week of contact do you have in general? How much do you spend working outside?
3) What do you think are the pros and cons of the course?
4) What is the background of most of the people in your year? (e.g. already programmers? etc)

Thanks very much!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 171
Hey again, can someone who is already in the program please post a list of books and/or materials which are being used during this course?

will be extremely helpful!!

Thanks!!
Hello everyone, I have huge interest in this course and I'm currently doing my AS level. I'm taking maths, econs, accounting and psychology. The problem is I don't have a strong foundation in maths as I have only taken modern maths and considering dropping maths. I wanted to know whether this course requires maths for entry. And does this course involve a lot of maths?
Original post by WillchowJJ
Hello everyone, I have huge interest in this course and I'm currently doing my AS level. I'm taking maths, econs, accounting and psychology. The problem is I don't have a strong foundation in maths as I have only taken modern maths and considering dropping maths. I wanted to know whether this course requires maths for entry. And does this course involve a lot of maths?

Hi there,

I don't think they specify you to do Maths A - level but they're asking for AAB at A - levels which isn't easy to get. I've just checked it for you on their entry Requirements, IMB doesn't require you to do Maths A - Levels.
As far as I'm aware, you need to have a decent amount of maths knowledge since you are applying for an business / I.T course. I believe if you're going to apply for something like Electric and Electronical engineering with Computer Science, only then would you need a more vast knowledge of Maths, I hope that kind of helps :smile:
Original post by Perceverance
Hi there,

I don't think they specify you to do Maths A - level but they're asking for AAB at A - levels which isn't easy to get. I've just checked it for you on their entry Requirements, IMB doesn't require you to do Maths A - Levels.
As far as I'm aware, you need to have a decent amount of maths knowledge since you are applying for an business / I.T course. I believe if you're going to apply for something like Electric and Electronical engineering with Computer Science, only then would you need a more vast knowledge of Maths, I hope that kind of helps :smile:

Thank you for your information. Yea it isn't easy to get AAB and I will definitely work hard for it. May I know are you studying this course in UCL? Thanks again!
Original post by WillchowJJ
Thank you for your information. Yea it isn't easy to get AAB and I will definitely work hard for it. May I know are you studying this course in UCL? Thanks again!

HI there,

I'm going to be starting this course in September, I was doing a Extended BTEC which I got equivalent to 3 A's and since it was all coursework, I will hopefully will be informed soon of my conditional to unconditional update track.

Anyways, what subjects are you doing?
Reply 176
What laptop is best for this course? An IOS (apple) or a windows laptop?
Reply 177
So who got a confirmed offer then to study for this course in September ??

Reply 178
Original post by mariamb93
What laptop is best for this course? An IOS (apple) or a windows laptop?

Apple :smile:
Reply 179
Original post by jvictor
So who got a confirmed offer then to study for this course in September ??

Hi, I'm dead set on applying to 5 universities for the ITMB degree but i'm not sure whether UCL would accept me with my current grades. Any help or reassurances would be appreciated, I got the following:

OCR Nationals Level 3 course - Distinction, Distinction (Equiv. to 2 A's / 240pts)
Business Studies A Level - A (162/200 marks, 80/80 on 1st exam F291)
History A Level - D (111/200 marks, very disappointed with this)

I plan on getting my History A Level remarked in an attempt to bump it to a C as i feel like i've been quite harshly marked along with the 2nd Business Studies exam I did called F292 to strengthen my chances of maintaining an A next year...

What do you think? Would AAAD be good enough to get into UCL? Hopefully once remarked it will be AAAC, but I do plan on dropping History so that will only be at AS. Any help appreciated, thanks. And would dropping History next year affect my chances of being accepted greatly?
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply