The Student Room Group

Can i do ancient history at university?

So yesterday i went on a history course taster day at Royal Holloway, and i was really suprised that i enjoyed the Ancient history talks best.
I read ancient history books a lot and i love that aspect of history, but i'd never considered doing it at a university level.
I'm not making any decisions yet, but out of curiousity:

I don't do classics at a-level, i do history/politics/psychology...does this mean i can't do ancient history at university?

[ I have 6 As and 3 Bs at GCSE- but i didn't do latin or classics then either ]
Original post by musicc2luvv
So yesterday i went on a history course taster day at Royal Holloway, and i was really suprised that i enjoyed the Ancient history talks best.
I read ancient history books a lot and i love that aspect of history, but i'd never considered doing it at a university level.

I don't do classics at a-level, i do history/politics/psychology...does this mean i can't do ancient history at university?

Hey ! I was there too :smile: I too found the Ancient History lecturer amazing, the lecture on Constantine was excellent! I'm sure you can, as long as you read about and around the subject :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by musicc2luvv

I don't think it matters. Not sure for other unis but for Queens Belfast they only asked for History at A-level (if anything actually). I tried to get on to that course today...but cause I was lazy and didn't repeat my ****ty clash of ****ing ideologies I didn't get on it...again...fml
Reply 4
I do a module in Ancient History and didn't do classics or latin at school. And well I don't really think they're needed either. They'll probaly require you to have done history though.
The quick answer is: Yes! You can do Ancient History at a lot of universities with the A Levels your doing.

Universities to consider are Nottingham (that's where I am), Liverpool, Birmingham, Royal Holloway, Warick, Bristol, Swansea, Reading, Exeter and I think Leeds has ancient history. There will be more than those, but these are a good starting place as they're good universities for Ancient History.

Also a lot of these universities will give you the option of doing beginners Latin (or ancient greek) and I think an A Level in one of the ancient languages is not required anywhere, except maybe for oxbridge...

I hope this helps! :smile: Good luck
*just make sure you show your enthusiasm for ancient history in your personal statement. Have you read any history books, been to any relavent museums, do you want to go to italy/greece, read ancient literature (epics like the Odyssey, tragedies like Trojan Women) etc. You may also want to emphasise that you value the study of the ancient world being a multi disciplinary approach (history, literature, art, language, even archeaology etc)
Of course you can! You just need the same sort of A levels as for history (and I didn't even have that when I applied, as I was taking history in a year, but got 3 offers). Most unis will also allow you to take Latin and Greek from scratch (and those with Egyptology departments will also allow you to take ancient Egyptian languages).

To add to the above list of unis doing ancient history (though of course UCAS will tell you this): Manchester, Durham, Cardiff, UCL (Oxford and Cambridge do a joint honours ancient and modern history if you're aiming high). Loads of unis offer it. Languages are typically not required.

Also, ancient history is only hugely multi disciplinary if you make it so - history modules may suggest that you read a few snippets of ancient literature or art but it's not a huge emphasis. You can of course take modules in this, which will greatly help your understanding of the history you're studying. Alternatively you can do it off your own back.

Don't forget to use the TSR PS helpers when you come to applying!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest