The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Athena21

Aww don't worry, I'm not exactly doing brilliantly right now myself, having had a weeks break from running, and struggling with motivation...but the end is so close! :smile:

Good luck :smile: Not sure that it's healthy to look forward to it anyway :tongue:

I'm still sat here, wondering whether or not to go... It's not so much not looking forward to it as dreading it. I think I'll do it tomorrow, because every time I feel like this about something and do it anyway, something bad happens! :rolleyes:
Reply 181
Original post by Aemiliana
I'm still sat here, wondering whether or not to go... It's not so much not looking forward to it as dreading it. I think I'll do it tomorrow, because every time I feel like this about something and do it anyway, something bad happens! :rolleyes:

I'd go with the intuition then...wouldn't want to get mugged on your run or something equally horrible :frown:
I hate that 'bad feeling'.

I'd go with the intuition then...wouldn't want to get mugged on your run or something equally horrible :frown:
I hate that 'bad feeling'.

Yeah. I think I might actually be about to have a panic attack (running when unable to breathe isn't a great idea either). I've got nothing to worry about so it must be all the stress in the house at the moment! I'll just go early tomorrow. And I have to go because I haven't been in a week!
can I join in? I'm a C25K graduate, about two months ago, and have been working through the follow on programme, Bridge to 10k, but have totally hit a wall with my motivation these past few weeks. My running buddy (we started together) has been away, and I've just been sooooo bad about going. I'm on this stupid low fibre diet the doc has put me on for stomach trouble (only temporary), but I'm vegan so I think it's stolen all my iron sources. I've just had no energy generally, and running has been awful - have been averaging something like a minute a mile slower than normal, just feel like I have no spring in my step.

ARGH!!!!
hey guys, at the risk of sounding supremely dense, i have a question. im already a little too much on the skinny side, i do eat healthily, just a genetic thing i presume, but my fitness level is pretty much zero. i wanted to start the couch to 5k plan, but my friends are convinced that regular running will make me even skinnier. is this going to be the case, and if so, am i supposed to counter it by eating more? :s-smilie:
Original post by periwinkle304
hey guys, at the risk of sounding supremely dense, i have a question. im already a little too much on the skinny side, i do eat healthily, just a genetic thing i presume, but my fitness level is pretty much zero. i wanted to start the couch to 5k plan, but my friends are convinced that regular running will make me even skinnier. is this going to be the case, and if so, am i supposed to counter it by eating more? :s-smilie:

well, if you up your exercise levels, you will lose more calories. however, i find that when i run regularly (say, three times a week), i am hungrier than normal...so i haven't really lost any weight (though have toned up).

so, yes, you'll need to eat more, but you'll probably want to anyway.
Exercise suppresses my appetite :dontknow:
Original post by Aemiliana
Exercise suppresses my appetite :dontknow:

maybe mine is psychological - i have exercised therefore i can eat tonnes :biggrin: though, i find after ballet and contemporary back to back classes, I don't feel hungry - think because i finish so late (8:45). however, i make a normal size dinner because i think i can have half tomorrow for lunch...and end up eating it all anyway because once i start i feel hungry :biggrin:
I'm going to start this tomorrow - have been putting it off for a week v_v

But a quick question - what do you guys do in terms of stretches and warm-ups?
Reply 189
Finished Week 3 Day 1 today. Was so close to giving up during the last 3 minute run, but I forced myself and made it! Can't wait for day 2 and 3 now.
Original post by SmileyGurl13

I just do a few normal leg stretches and the warm-up just consists of a 5 minute walk which is part of the guide.
Lol last week I did w1 d1/2, and then skipped d3 for a day of swimming. My body still aches, and I really should move on to w2 but I'm feeling so weak and miserable I'm tempted to redo w1 for the third time, because it's comfortable and I don't have to run for an extra 30 seconds.

Good idea, or shall I just suck it up?
Reply 192
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Lol last week I did w1 d1/2, and then skipped d3 for a day of swimming. My body still aches, and I really should move on to w2 but I'm feeling so weak and miserable I'm tempted to redo w1 for the third time, because it's comfortable and I don't have to run for an extra 30 seconds.

Good idea, or shall I just suck it up?

Then what's the point of doing it? Suck it up, move on to week 2. You only do 6 90s runs instead of 8 60s ones, so you're only running a minute extra overall.
Going to go for a short 1 mile run after work. I'll attempt a 5k walk/run every other day I think, and keep the 1 mile loop for 'rest' days to clear the cobwebs (plus the route's really pretty :h:).
I also should really start doing this again... I got some new trainers yesterday, my other ones were giving me terrible foot pain, they must have been the wrong shape or something. These new ones feel really comfy so hopefully it will be good. Now I've just gotta figure out a good route to do at home where not too many people will see me! I can't be doing with people I know seeing me run!
Original post by Kaph
Then what's the point of doing it? Suck it up, move on to week 2. You only do 6 90s runs instead of 8 60s ones, so you're only running a minute extra overall.

I meant comfortable mentally. :tongue: Always struggled with the latter runs in week 1. I'm not sure whether I need to be able to do each week perfectly in order to progress, or if a little wavering (walking when you're supposed to run, stopping the running section 5-10s early) is allowed.

Decided to perfect first. :rolleyes:
Reply 196
Original post by periwinkle304

I feel hungry after my runs too - I guess it's because you need more energy than you are giving yourself.
You become more toned and healthy, and if you combine it with weight lifting and extra protein, you will probably gain a little weight (in a good way, muscle mass not fat).

Original post by SmileyGurl13

Good luck :smile:

Original post by RedGuy
Finished Week 3 Day 1 today. Was so close to giving up during the last 3 minute run, but I forced myself and made it! Can't wait for day 2 and 3 now.

Congratulations :biggrin:
Thats a 1/3 of the way through the programme, keep it up :smile:
Reply 197
Original post by flying plum
can I join in? I'm a C25K graduate, about two months ago, and have been working through the follow on programme, Bridge to 10k, but have totally hit a wall with my motivation these past few weeks. My running buddy (we started together) has been away, and I've just been sooooo bad about going. I'm on this stupid low fibre diet the doc has put me on for stomach trouble (only temporary), but I'm vegan so I think it's stolen all my iron sources. I've just had no energy generally, and running has been awful - have been averaging something like a minute a mile slower than normal, just feel like I have no spring in my step.

ARGH!!!!

Of course :wink: Although I don't think anyone on this thread is doing B210k yet.
Why not take a supplement with iron for the mean time?

I don't have a running buddy, but I have a 'running bodyguard' when I sometimes want to run in the late evenings - meaning my dad lol
We all have low points of motivation, it's not a failure :smile:

I think I'm definately getting out all my cheesy quotes in this thread....:rolleyes:
Reply 198
Original post by hothedgehog
I also should really start doing this again... I got some new trainers yesterday, my other ones were giving me terrible foot pain, they must have been the wrong shape or something. These new ones feel really comfy so hopefully it will be good. Now I've just gotta figure out a good route to do at home where not too many people will see me! I can't be doing with people I know seeing me run!

Try mapmyrun.com. I used to be like that, but you'll stop feeling embarrassed or caring somewhere around week 5 lol :smile:

Original post by wanderlust.xx
I meant comfortable mentally. :tongue: Always struggled with the latter runs in week 1. I'm not sure whether I need to be able to do each week perfectly in order to progress, or if a little wavering (walking when you're supposed to run, stopping the running section 5-10s early) is allowed.

Decided to perfect first. :rolleyes:

What do you mean by perfect?
As long as you walk when the app says walk, and don't stop on the running sections until it tells you that you can, even if the 'run' is a crawl, you are building fitness, and can move onto the next stage, in my unproffessional opinion (and what I gleaned off the nhs website lol)

Week 2 is going to feel hard for you, but not any harder than week 1. Just grit your teeth and be determined :smile:
Of course :wink: Although I don't think anyone on this thread is doing B210k yet.
Why not take a supplement with iron for the mean time?

I don't have a running buddy, but I have a 'running bodyguard' when I sometimes want to run in the late evenings - meaning my dad lol
We all have low points of motivation, it's not a failure :smile:

I think I'm definately getting out all my cheesy quotes in this thread....:rolleyes:

yes, I should do that. i've been doing it for a month, and only just really started to feel the effects, and it's only a guess that that is what's causing it, but can't hurt to have a bit of an iron boost. will make a trip to the health store tonight after work!

i have a 5k race on thursday...not on the road, so don't think will make any record time, but would be nice not to be slower than my current 28min PB. however, don't think i'm going to do anything special!

Quick Reply

Latest