The Student Room Group

NHS Couch to 5k - Fitness Phobes Anonymous

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by rleungz
Oh and I play football once a week.

Thats really great, well done :smile:
I'm definately aspiring to be a 'proper runner' eventually, and seeing posts from people who were in my position but improved their fitness that much really helps with the motivation :biggrin:
I'd love to do a 10k one day...
Original post by RedGuy

Original post by RedGuy
Ah man, same thing happened to me after Week 2. I think it's because I didn't do any stretching at all, except the 5 minute warmup and warmdown. I started Week 3 and didn't last 10 seconds due to the pain in my feet. I think I'm going to redo Week 2 because of the long break. I'm so frustrated I'm still on the second week after nearly two months! :frown: But I'm going to keep at it, here I come tomorrow! All I need is good weather now.

I was so close to finishing though, that really annoys me. Now, I'm not nearly as fit as I was and mentally (perhaps playing a lot into the physical), I'm starting from square one again. Oh well, we can both get back at it :wink:
Reply 42
where do you download the podcasts from? I plan to start next week when exams are over

Original post by boba
where do you download the podcasts from? I plan to start next week when exams are over

Follow the link in the OP and then click on "Get running with Couch to 5K" or the cartoon/toilet sign-type runner on the right hand side. A pop up should come up with the podcasts but since I updated my browser (Firefox) it doesn't work properly so you might have to experiment with browsers.
I did it. Just got back from Week 1, Day 1 and I officially think I'm dying :p:
Reply 45
I started the other day, I've never done any type of running, I regularly go to the gym but have never really done any cardio. The first run was okay, in the second my shins started hurting, so I've had a few days off but going for my 3rd run tomorrow :smile:
Reply 46
Original post by hbandtr4eva
I did it. Just got back from Week 1, Day 1 and I officially think I'm dying :p:

Congrats :biggrin:
Original post by Athena21
Congrats :biggrin:

Thanks :biggrin: Feeling much better this morning, although I ache like crazy! Debating whether or not to go to the gym for a bit this evening but don't want to exhaust myself when I'm doing day 2 tomorrow evening.
I'd love to do this, but absolutely hate running (so much so that I'll use everything except the treadmill at the gym lol) and I'd probably die lol.

I wonder, could you do it at the gym on a treadmill rather than running outdoors?
Original post by _Shanice_

I'd love to do this, but absolutely hate running (so much so that I'll use everything except the treadmill at the gym lol) and I'd probably die lol.

I wonder, could you do it at the gym on a treadmill rather than running outdoors?

I hated running too. Now, I quite enjoy it.

I started using a treadmill but it doesn't equate to running outdoors. I don't know why, but outdoor running is harder. :dontknow:
Reply 50
About to leave to do Week 1 Day 1 right now...I hate running too so this will be interesting!
Never heard of this before, might give it a go at some point! I recently lost about 5 stone basically just by eating better, but my fitness is still pretty awful.
Reply 52
Just got back, wasn't as bad as I thought. As I got into it I couldn't wait to start running again, by the 4th run I was actually enjoying it :eek: Really sprinted on the last run too...am very red faced right now, yet proud! Phew! Gonna crack out the Pilates DVD in a bit (- edit, or maybe tomorrow as my legs are like jelly!)
(edited 12 years ago)
My legs feel worse today than they did yesterday, dreading my run tonight!
Reply 54

I agree with Aemiliana, running outside on real ground is actually better for you than a treadmill. It's harder.
Also you could pick a quiet route and do it early in the morning so there aren't any people about? That's what I do to get over my people-watching-me-running-and-I-feel-embarrassed problem :smile:

Original post by LtCommanderData
Never heard of this before, might give it a go at some point! I recently lost about 5 stone basically just by eating better, but my fitness is still pretty awful.

Yes! Start doing it! :smile: The more people on this thread the better. Can't speak for anyone else but I know this thread is motivating me! Love the avatar btw :wink:

Original post by Lights
Just got back, wasn't as bad as I thought. As I got into it I couldn't wait to start running again, by the 4th run I was actually enjoying it :eek: Really sprinted on the last run too...am very red faced right now, yet proud! Phew! Gonna crack out the Pilates DVD in a bit (- edit, or maybe tomorrow as my legs are like jelly!)

Thats great :biggrin: Well done! I feel the same way, excited for my next run :smile:

Original post by hbandtr4eva
My legs feel worse today than they did yesterday, dreading my run tonight!

Thats the way of it unfortunately :wink:
The second run is always the hardest, but you can do it! :biggrin:
Reply 55
Just completed Week 3 Run 1 this morning! :biggrin:

Can't believe that I've stuck at it this long. I've done 7 runs in total now.

Was dreading the 3 minutes, but actually found it felt shorter than I thought it'd be, and wasn't as hard :smile:
I wasn't as out of breath or red in this run, so my last 60 seconds of running was a sprint....
Gotta feel like I'm pushing myself! :wink:

I need need decent running shoes. I'm doing this in my vans and I think I'm gonna injure myself if I carry on!

Can't wait to do it again on friday! :biggrin:
I might go for a run after some serious stretching but even typing this hurts. I have no idea why I ache so much :erm: I'm not sure if running will help or make me feel worse...
It is chucking it down, but I need to go for a run today, otherwise I'll be having to do a 25 minute run the day/day after I go home from uni. Urrrrgh I hate rain :mad:
Original post by Athena21
Just completed Week 3 Run 1 this morning! :biggrin:

Can't believe that I've stuck at it this long. I've done 7 runs in total now.

Was dreading the 3 minutes, but actually found it felt shorter than I thought it'd be, and wasn't as hard :smile:
I wasn't as out of breath or red in this run, so my last 60 seconds of running was a sprint....
Gotta feel like I'm pushing myself! :wink:

I need need decent running shoes. I'm doing this in my vans and I think I'm gonna injure myself if I carry on!

Can't wait to do it again on friday! :biggrin:

Go to a decent running shop (I went to sweatshop) and get them to analyse your gait etc - it's really important that you get shoes that are made for your gait or you could make things worse. Since getting the correct shoes I've had far fewer injuries than when I used to run (a little) a few years ago.
Reply 59
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
It is chucking it down, but I need to go for a run today, otherwise I'll be having to do a 25 minute run the day/day after I go home from uni. Urrrrgh I hate rain :mad:

:frown: On the plus side, it will help cool you down? lol

Original post by Aemiliana
Go to a decent running shop (I went to sweatshop) and get them to analyse your gait etc - it's really important that you get shoes that are made for your gait or you could make things worse. Since getting the correct shoes I've had far fewer injuries than when I used to run (a little) a few years ago.

I keep meaning to go to the shops, but can only get there on a saturday as I'm working 9-5 at the moment :frown:
Although any running shoes/trainers I get will have some sort of pink on them :h:

Quick Reply

Latest