The Student Room Group

NHS bursary and Student Finance loan clash =S HELP!

Hi,

My name is Georgia and I was hoping to get some advice please =]

This is really for students on NHS funded courses at uni but if anyone else can help me that'd be great.

Here's my situation....

I've applied for Speech and language therapy and have two offers, a conditional from University of East Anglia (UEA) and an unconditional from Birmingham city (bcu). UEA is my first choice and I need a B in biology to get it.

I applied for student finance online and everything was going swimmingly until I saw that i'd missed out some evidence. One was my step dads signature which i've sent and the other was evidence that I have applied for an NHS bursary because I said that I am entitled to one. They want to know because how much of a bursary I get will probably reduce how much of a maintenance loan I get.... apparently.

My problem is I can't apply for a bursary until I have accepted an unconditional offer which I can't do until I have my Biology results and student finance have told me that the process will stop until i have my NHS bursary results.

Here's the kicker... when i phoned the NHS bursary enquires line they said that the amount of my bursary shouldn't effect the amount my loan is reduced by as it is automatically lowered by the fact that I have said I can get a bursary in my application.

I know this is really long and confusing but if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Georgia
Original post by georgia.pearson92
Hi,

My name is Georgia and I was hoping to get some advice please =]

This is really for students on NHS funded courses at uni but if anyone else can help me that'd be great.

Here's my situation....

I've applied for Speech and language therapy and have two offers, a conditional from University of East Anglia (UEA) and an unconditional from Birmingham city (bcu). UEA is my first choice and I need a B in biology to get it.

I applied for student finance online and everything was going swimmingly until I saw that i'd missed out some evidence. One was my step dads signature which i've sent and the other was evidence that I have applied for an NHS bursary because I said that I am entitled to one. They want to know because how much of a bursary I get will probably reduce how much of a maintenance loan I get.... apparently.

My problem is I can't apply for a bursary until I have accepted an unconditional offer which I can't do until I have my Biology results and student finance have told me that the process will stop until i have my NHS bursary results.

Here's the kicker... when i phoned the NHS bursary enquires line they said that the amount of my bursary shouldn't effect the amount my loan is reduced by as it is automatically lowered by the fact that I have said I can get a bursary in my application.

I know this is really long and confusing but if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks

Georgia

You're very confused. I hope I can straighten things out for you.

NHS-funded students are only eligible for a non-income assessed loan, which is reduced further because we can get a NHS bursary. This comes to £2324. If you have opted for income assessment, you didn't tick the box on the application saying you are eligible for the NHS bursary. You will probably have to send in a Change of Circumstances form to Student Finance to rectify this.

By ticking the bursary box, it wouldn't have asked you for evidence of your parents' incomes, and would only have asked for evidence of bursary entitlement. This request will disappear after a while however as you can't provide it: your NHS entitlement letter won't come until a few weeks before you start (so ignore it).

Apply for your NHS bursary now with your firm choice details! Don't wait until you've got an unconditional from UEA, otherwise you won't get your money in time for the start of term!

I hope that's made it clearer for you. :smile:
Reply 2
1. SFE don't actually need to see evidence that you're in receipt of an NHS bursary. They will be able to see from your course title that it's an NHS funded course.

2. As you're on an NHS course, you will not be able to receive any means-tested support from SFE, so it was kind of pointless you submitting your parents details. You will just receive the reduced rate maintenance loan only.
Thank you! That's really helped I've been on the phone to both SFE and the NHS bursary people and no one was telling me where I was going wrong I had no idea about the not receiving any means tested support because of the bursary! As you can tell it's my first time dealing with anything like this haha =P

Thank you both again =]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending