The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kevmeister
Money eventually talks, quite simply Spurs will have a £30m hole in next year's finances - the most viable way of fixing that issue is selling players. There's no way they'll get any extra sponsorship to that level. They may gamble and keep all their star players but it'll be a big, big gamble.
I think its a mistake to say a £30m hole, they will have that much less, but it depends whether their structure is now based around CL football, which is foolish if true, thats pretty Leeds-esqe. I don't know if they are still able to manager financially without CL money, or if Levy is willing to inject the cash for 1 season.
Original post by doggyfizzel
I think its a mistake to say a £30m hole, they will have that much less, but it depends whether their structure is now based around CL football, which is foolish if true, thats pretty Leeds-esqe. I don't know if they are still able to manager financially without CL money, or if Levy is willing to inject the cash for 1 season.

Their structure may or may not be based around CL money, but their profits and revenue will take a massive hit unless they sell some players and bring in cheaper replacements - also, 'Arry said he wants to improve the squad but he won't be able to spend tens of millions because quite simply it'll cause Spurs to have a massive loss, one which they're not guaranteed to claw back. They also have shareholders to appease, saying one thing in public and another in private.
Reply 182
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
I dont beleive Nasri will leave Arsenal, it seems to be a similar situation to Rooney last summer. I still think theres far more to the Modric story that could be in Uniteds favour. Sneijder/Pastore are very similar to Sanchez, if people think Sanchez isnt needed then neither is Sneijder. They play in the same position. Different type of players to Modric as someone pointed out. They are more like Rooney when he plays behind Hernandez.

Sanchez is a direct skillful and quick winger, Sneijder is 3/4 player in the sense he plays behind the strikers with no defensive duties like Van der Vaart. Pastore is like Cesc Fabregas with more skill.
(edited 12 years ago)
"I have an arrangement with the chairman. When I signed my new contract, he said that, if another club came to sign me, they would consider the offer." (Modric)

And now Levy is saying no one is up for sale. Someones clearly telling lies
Reply 184
Original post by Kevmeister
He's had one decent season. I don't rate him, neither do I think that Arsenal's defensive problems are down to the players, moreso the coaching they receive or don't receive as the case may be. I think Arsenal's problems are due to lacking a decisive ball-winner in midfield, as Song has started to roam more.

I agree, he definately isnt much better than their current centre backs, and gervinhos been playing for lille, this is the epl, hes got alot to prove yet. :smile:
Original post by MoMatrix
Sanchez is a direct skillful and quick winger, Sneijder is 3/4 player in the sense he plays behind the strikers with no defensive duties like Van der Vaart. Pastore is like Cesc Fabregas with more skill.

Sneijder was often used on the wing at Real Madrid, but when Mourinho took him to Inter, the side was built around him. Its hard to think of playing a team with Rooney, Sneijder and Hernandez without losing a bit of balance to the team.

Sanchez and even A.Young are obviously seen as wingers but have been played in the central playmaking role in the past season and thats where they've performed. Sanchez made his eye catching performances playing behind Di Natale, he scored 10 goals in 12 games in that role. As with most wingers when moved infield, Sánchez tends to drift across the front line.
jack_wilshere via twitter: Don't see all the fuss about Modric wanting a move..he has done welll at #Spurs but he needs to play #champions league! '#inmyopinion
Reply 187
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
jack_wilshere via twitter: Don't see all the fuss about Modric wanting a move..he has done welll at #Spurs but he needs to play #champions league! '#inmyopinion

Of course an Arsenal fan/player would say that! I do like the way Chelsea are trying to buy players without a manager there, Abramovic runs that club so badly. Though it has worked for them somewhat, they'd have been so much better if he gave the manager control.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by xDave-
Of course an Arsenal fan/player would say that! I do like the way Chelsea are trying to buy players without a manager there, Abramovic runs that club so badly. Though it has worked for them somewhat, they'd have been so much better if he gave the manager control.

Him saying that, would be the same as someone else saying don't see the fuss about Nasri going to Man United, he wants to win the league.

Jack is an idiot for saying that tbh.
Wilshere doesn't strike me a particularly smart.

ManUtdStuff on twitter is reporting Varane bid for £9.2m. Seems like a lot of money, if Jones is being used as a CB. Ferdinand, Vidic, Smalling, Evans, Jones?, Varane? Thats a fair few CB's.

ManUtdStuff on twitter is reporting Varane bid for £9.2m. Seems like a lot of money, if Jones is being used as a CB. Ferdinand, Vidic, Smalling, Evans, Jones?, Varane? Thats a fair few CB's.

Wow, didn't think we'd be in for him after getting Jones. Thought it would be one or the other.
Reply 191
Seems like we are going on quite a spending trip this summer, which was needed.
Original post by IGregg
Seems like we are going on quite a spending trip this summer, which was needed.

Agreed.

Hes bascially the french version of Rodwell/Jones. Able to play anywhere in defence or as a DM. Must be a top talent for Fergie to go in for him so soon but im guessing its the same case as it was for Jones, reacting to interest from other clubs
Reply 194
I'd like Varane, he has great physical presence and agility about him.
He can play DM and sweeper also iirc
We have a lot of defenders, but most are versatile and not just play in one position.
Smalling Jones and Varane, if all are as versatile across the back 4 as suggested, I can see playing as a 3 at the back in future against crap teams. Sometimes i really do wonder why we need 4 at the back against the west broms, birminghams and wolves's of this world. We generally only concede from set plays against poor teams, and then it would mean were likely to score more.
Bit of a drastic point from me I suppose, but anyone else think the same? Like I say, really don't see the point of 4 at the back against teams with 8/9 behind the ball.
Real are in for Varane, I reckon he'll join them - more money and Zidane is there. What French player wouldn't want to work with Zidane? Also, at CB they have less options than we do, so he's likely to get more game time there.
If you have a defualt system where the players are comfortable playing, why change it? "If it aint broken, dont fix it" as they say. Undefeated at home just backs the point further. Not sure what will be acheived by playing a back 3 that cant be done with a back 4?

If Varane is bought i seriously hope it doesnt effect Pogbas chance of getting first team action, Hes the real deal. And thats me referring to Varane as a DM, not sure how you can have 4 young defenders at the club competing for a place in defence
(edited 12 years ago)
Harry Redknapp about to go on talksport in the next couple minutes and talk about Modric.

This should be interesting.
Original post by rhinger
Yeah, right...

FA Cup: Semis.
Premier League: 1st.
CL: Runners-up.

Spoilt one, aren't you...

United throws away money as if it all comes from trees.

Lol. By needed he meant VDS, Scholes, Hargreaves and now possibly Giggs all leaving and United now needing replacements.

Latest