The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rhinger
Yeah, right...

FA Cup: Semis.
Premier League: 1st.
CL: Runners-up.

Spoilt one, aren't you...

United throws away money as if it all comes from trees.

VDS, Scholes, Hargreaves have been released or retired. Our squad needed improvement.
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot

If you have a defualt system where the players are comfortable playing, why change it? "If it aint broken, dont fix it" as they say. Undefeated at home just backs the point further. Not sure what will be acheived by playing a back 3 that cant be done with a back 4?

If Varane is bought i seriously hope it doesnt effect Pogbas chance of getting first team action, Hes the real deal. And thats me referring to Varane as a DM, not sure how you can have 4 young defenders at the club competing for a place in defence

An extra attacker on the field to score more goals. The fact we were unbeaten at home to me is more of a reason to consider a far more attacking formation than to discount it. But fair point none the less.
Sanchez to Barcelona is looking like a done deal then. He's apparently chosen Barcelona despite them offering the lowest wages. Good luck to him anyway...
Reply 203
It must be horrible leaving Barcelona, everywhere else would be a step down after that, I'm guessing.
Original post by Colonel.

It must be horrible leaving Barcelona, everywhere else would be a step down after that, I'm guessing.

Currently, yes, because of their european dominance. But players might want to play at the top level in other leagues. In which case you can sidestep. Essentially, only really between United Chelsea Barca and Real.
Samuel Eto might not have thought so, he did fairly well out of his move.

Sanchez at Barca could be amazing, him and Messi, play Villa through the middle again.

Transfer window isn't even open and I'm kind of getting nervous. Sneijder is looking pretty dead in the water, as is Nasri, Modric to Chelsea (although I think he is just signalling his intent to leave), Sanchez to Barca. The top midfield targets are looking like moving to other clubs.
Reply 206
I dont beleive Nasri will leave Arsenal, it seems to be a similar situation to Rooney last summer. I still think theres far more to the Modric story that could be in Uniteds favour. Sneijder/Pastore are very similar to Sanchez, if people think Sanchez isnt needed then neither is Sneijder. They play in the same position. Different type of players to Modric as someone pointed out. They are more like Rooney when he plays behind Hernandez.

Sneijder would be comfortable enough in central midfield in a 4-4-2 imo, mostly with a holding player (Carrick) alongside him but in a lot of home games he could also play with a ball winner (Fletcher), obviously Fletch would have more defensive responsibilities than he would like though (it would mean Ando's opportunites being limited). Sneijder isn't lazy by any stretch of the imagination. I think the World Cup has clouded people's judgement of him a bit, because he doesn't actually score that many goals. His biggest asset is getting the ball into dangerous areas, we play down the flanks and he'd be absolutely fantastic at finding our wingers in good positions. His ball retention is also great, being pretty much two footed helps with that, and that's vital against the very best.

In the away games he'd probably play in his 'ideal' position, just behind a striker with two CMs behind him. Could also play as a narrow winger when required, did so at Madrid quite a lot I believe (btw so did Modric at Dinamo and for Croatia). I'd much prefer a system like this in away games, it'd allow us to impose ourselves whilst maintaining a strong attacking threat, we've struggled to find that balance at times. Hernandez has already proven what an impact he can have from the bench. We'll beat most teams at home regardless of signings, but Sneijder would give us that tactical flexibility to dominate on the road once again.

He might play in a similar position to Sanchez, but they're very different players who offer very different qualities.

Living in dreamland though, it's just not happening :sad:

Original post by rorydaredking
Smalling Jones and Varane, if all are as versatile across the back 4 as suggested, I can see playing as a 3 at the back in future against crap teams. Sometimes i really do wonder why we need 4 at the back against the west broms, birminghams and wolves's of this world. We generally only concede from set plays against poor teams, and then it would mean were likely to score more.
Bit of a drastic point from me I suppose, but anyone else think the same? Like I say, really don't see the point of 4 at the back against teams with 8/9 behind the ball.

Problem with that would be losing the attacking threat of a twin and Evra. It's not necessarily a case of more attackers=better attacking, our full backs help to stretch teams and make the wingers' job easier. Smalling and to an extent Rio aren't exactly scared of joining in either. It's not as if when they leave one striker on the halfway line we have 4 defenders to mark him, usually 2 of them are joining in the attack in one way or another.

I would like to see it a bit more when we're chasing a goal though.
Reply 207
United have been linked to De Rossi for the past 2seasons, anyone know anything on it? Can't see modric, nasri, or sneijder happening anymore :frown:
Reply 208
Original post by KumailN
United have been linked to De Rossi for the past 2seasons, anyone know anything on it? Can't see modric, nasri, or sneijder happening anymore :frown:

Seriously doubt there's any chance we've still got any interest in De Rossi plus Luis Enrique will want to keep him as Totti is ageing and becoming evermore injury prone. Nasri hasn't signed a contract yet and Sneijder hasn't ruled it out, if anything he's upset Moratti. There's always hope :smile:
Reply 209
Original post by ksahnan
Seriously doubt there's any chance we've still got any interest in De Rossi plus Luis Enrique will want to keep him as Totti is ageing and becoming evermore injury prone. Nasri hasn't signed a contract yet and Sneijder hasn't ruled it out, if anything he's upset Moratti. There's always hope :smile:

Yeah, haha they're all just looking like longshots now i guess :frown:
De Rossi is a lifer. Pointless even bidding for him - Roma's new owners won't countenance selling a player the fans worship.
With Modric, Nasri and Sneijder not happening I wonder what Fergie's got up his sleeve.
There's plenty of good CM's out there though. Banega, Hazard, Kagawa, Goetze, Hamsik, Pastore all come to mind.
Reply 212
Original post by HilariousNinja
With Modric, Nasri and Sneijder not happening I wonder what Fergie's got up his sleeve.
There's plenty of good CM's out there though. Banega, Hazard, Kagawa, Goetze, Hamsik, Pastore all come to mind.

Banega sounds good, doesnt hazard play down the wings? hamsik also looks pretty good but hasnt pastore said hes happy where he already is?
Original post by KumailN
Banega sounds good, doesnt hazard play down the wings? hamsik also looks pretty good but hasnt pastore said hes happy where he already is?

Hazard does play down the wings but can be deployed as an attacking mid. Pastore probably won't arrive at United probably because of his valuation from Parma of like £40 million.
And all sorts of players say they're happy where they are, things change and everyone has a price. (Ronaldo being one of many examples of this situation)
My brother said he'd read somewhere that we've offered Spurs £12m plus Berbatov for Modric? Harry is looking for a striker and there has been rumours about Berba's departure this summer. I can't see Spurs accepting that, they'd like Berba but more money for Modric, maybe £20m would make them consider it. Modric is Chelsea bound IMO - he seems to want to go there and Spurs would maybe rather sell him to Chelsea than us because they've sold us Carrick and Berbatov and maybe there is abit of ill feeling from their side.

Sanchez and Nasri seem to be no goers. Sneijder could be a possibility now. First he said he'd stay, then cryptically said God would decide his future which annoys Moratti, Leonardo is heading for PSG and Inter have no coach - sounds like the right sort of path for a transfer out of the club. :biggrin:
Reply 215
Hazard does play down the wings but can be deployed as an attacking mid. Pastore probably won't arrive at United probably because of his valuation from Parma of like £40 million.
And all sorts of players say they're happy where they are, things change and everyone has a price. (Ronaldo being one of many examples of this situation)

Ahh can he, he seems great, yeah i guess so, weve got a while before transfers stop and we all trust SAF :biggrin:

Palermo. :wink2:
Original post by Kevmeister
Palermo. :wink2:

Hmm no idea where I got Parma from, I even know he played for Palermo because of their characteristic pink kit. :hmmmm:
Hmm no idea where I got Parma from, I even know he played for Palermo because of their characteristic pink kit. :hmmmm:
Just like to say I love that kit :biggrin:
Reply 219
Original post by doggyfizzel
Just like to say I love that kit :biggrin:

Yup Salmon pink way better than Evertons fluorescent pink! :puke:

Fellaini says he wants to leave for a top club, claiming Everton are a sub-top club. Think Fergie's gonna swoop for a sub-awesome player and turn him into one? Like Valencia? He'd certainly be a presence in the box from corners etc. haven't seen him play much this year.

Latest