The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 261
Original post by Kevmeister
But you said about a chance at the title.

We're not looking at Adam, papers say we are but there's no quotes or anything.

Potential to be world class and actually being world class are two different things. You said he is world class now you're saying he has potential....

And we're having a reasonable debate with you, it's just that we're picking holes in your logic and you don't like it, as evidenced by your 'swearing'.

You most likely are looking at Adam, otherwise there wouldn't be consistent rumours.

I believe he is genuinely world class, and has shown it since January. A prime example being when he decimated your defence single handedly. Although it depends on how you measure a world class player, he's got to be consistent for more than half a season, but his form has been world class.

And no, you're not picking holes in my logic, you're talking through tinted glasses.

Also, what I actually said about the title is that a challenge isn't impossible, which I stand by. Although top 4 is more realistic.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 262
Original post by AndersonsBentFoot
United have never shown interest and will not sign Adam.

Henderson isnt marquee. Attracting big name players and spending inflated prices on english players are not the same thing. Nearly all The players you mentioned are underrated, they have quality.

Henderson may not be marquee. But you said we wouldn't make 'big' signings. A £20m transfer is indeed a big signing.
Original post by Pn94
You most likely are looking at Adam, otherwise there wouldn't be consistent rumours.

I believe he is genuinely world class, and has shown it since January. A prime example being when he decimated your defence single handedly. Although it depends on how you measure a world class player, he's got to be consistent for more than half a season, but his form has been world class.

And no, you're not picking holes in my logic, you're talking through tinted glasses.

This whole paragraph is contradictory. I'm leaving this now before I lose any more brain cells. :smile:
Reply 264
Original post by Kevmeister
This whole paragraph is contradictory. I'm leaving this now before I lose any more brain cells. :smile:

Kl, I win.
Who would you class as "world class" in the United squad?
Reply 266
Original post by Pn94
Henderson may not be marquee. But you said we wouldn't make 'big' signings. A £20m transfer is indeed a big signing.

Henderson isn't worth 20m though. Henderson might be great in 3/4/5 years, but there are a tonne of players you could buy that are good now for that kind of money. And don't even get me started on Carroll... People like Glen Johnson and Aquilani as well, total wastes. Just because a player is bought for big money, doesn't make them a big signing. It makes them a waste of money if they can't perform to the level a player bought for that money should be performing.
Original post by WhatIsAUsername?

Vidic. That's it.
Reply 268

Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand on his day, possibly Hernandez in the future. Van Der Sar although he's retired.

Original post by xDave-
Henderson isn't worth 20m though. Henderson might be great in 3/4/5 years, but there are a tonne of players you could buy that are good now for that kind of money. And don't even get me started on Carroll... People like Glen Johnson and Aquilani as well, total wastes. Just because a player is bought for big money, doesn't make them a big signing. It makes them a waste of money if they can't perform to the level a player bought for that money should be performing.

Doesn't matter, he's still a big signing due to the money he cost. Also Johnson wasn't actually a big signing btw, around £10m of his fee Portsmouth owed to us anyway for Peter Crouch. He's also a valuable player, very good attacking-wise, although his defending could improve a lot. Don't get the beef with Aquilani, wasn't given a fair crack at it, he actually has more assists than Luka Modric has gotten in the last two seasons apparently.

Rio and Vidic definitely. I'd say VDS (of course has retired now), Rooney and Evra were world-class during a period in time.
Reply 270

Probably just Vidic also. A few years back I'd have included Evra and Rooney when they were at their peaks, and VDS if he was still playing now, but I think Vidic is the only player in our team that could get in any side in the world right now.
Big fee does not necessarily mean big signing - a big signing is a big name player, Suarez was a big signing, same for Carroll to an extent.
Vidic.
Reply 273
Original post by Pn94
Doesn't matter, he's still a big signing due to the money he cost. Also Johnson wasn't actually a big signing btw, around £10m of his fee Portsmouth owed to us anyway for Peter Crouch. He's also a valuable player, very good attacking-wise, although his defending could improve a lot. Don't get the beef with Aquilani, wasn't given a fair crack at it, he actually has more assists than Luka Modric has gotten in the last two seasons apparently.

He got 6 assists last season.... for Juventus. You loaned out a 20m signing... That is one of the biggest wastes ever. His stats for you in 09/10 aren't too bad. 18 league matches with 1 goal and 6 assists, 9 of those games he started as sub and 7 he came off. But you paid 20m for 2 full league games from him overall...
Adam at United?

PULL THE OTHER ONE!
Reply 275
Original post by xDave-
He got 6 assists last season.... for Juventus. You loaned out a 20m signing... That is one of the biggest wastes ever. His stats for you in 09/10 aren't too bad. 18 league matches with 1 goal and 6 assists, 9 of those games he started as sub and 7 he came off. But you paid 20m for 2 full league games from him overall...

That's why I said he wasn't given a fair crack. That's also another reason as to why Hodgson was heavily berated by our fans.
Original post by Pn94
You made a bid for him in Jan apparently.

Key word here.

Interesting but I think its one of those 'automatic' responses people give. Also maybe just a coincidence too with him being in the US with United going out there touring soon enough.
Original post by HilariousNinja
Interesting but I think its one of those 'automatic' responses people give. Also maybe just a coincidence too with him being in the US with United going out there touring soon enough.

yeah it is. It's a typical response.

Original post by Pn94
This why you're looking at Adam yourselves?

Suarez certainly has the potential to be world class. He was one of the best players in the PL towards the end of last season. And yes, 24 games in a season where he needed an operation for the most of it, which he's finally gotten.

Alright.

But you're looking at Charlie Adam yourselves?
Park Ji Sung, Darren Fletcher, John O'shea, Wes Brown, Anderson, Carrick. Hardly
top quality players, yet they do the job for you.
Also upto £20m on Jordan Henderson? Suggests to me we're looking to spend big forker.

There is no way you can have a reasonable discussion with Man Utd fans tbh.

You come into our thread asking how we think the scouse will do. Then argue when we answer. Then say you cant have a reasonable discussion with united fans. Well who were you expecting to have a discussion with, reasonable or otherwise, in the united thread?

Latest