The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by xDave-
Pastore is a good player, but I'm pretty sure he's said he wants to stay where he is for now. He'd cost a tonne too.

If I recall, Fabio was the captain of Brazil u18 or u20s or whatever, so I'm guessing he was the better one. He's two footed too I think? So perhaps he will be the number one at RB, moving to the left if Evra keeps failing is an option too.

Yeahh i havent really followed up on much about pastore, just heard he's quality!

Yeah at the beginning of their united careers fabio was dubbed the better twin, he was just plagued by alot of injuries and couldnt show off his abilities whereas rafael, he was free of injury and playing quite alot.
Reply 41
The team in general is sustainable. However, i think we are lacking in the central midfield position, we need a Keane/Seedorf type of player (command, accurate passing). Sneijder (27) ticks all the boxes at the moment and i think the board should take a risk and swap Berbatov and £10-15 for him (i hope)...
Reply 42
Original post by forex
The team in general is sustainable. However, i think we are lacking in the central midfield position, we need a Keane/Seedorf type of player (command, accurate passing). Sneijder (27) ticks all the boxes at the moment and i think the board should take a risk and swap Berbatov and £10-15 for him (i hope)...

Dont you think we'd need another striker then? welbeck, hernandez, rooney and owen? is that enough really?
Reply 43
Original post by KumailN
Dont you think we'd need another striker then? welbeck, hernandez, rooney and owen? is that enough really?

Should be, we'll be expecting goals off Young, CAM and Nani apart from the strikers. But I'd like to see him stay, granted he's been horrible against top teams but he was outstanding against Liverpool, and in the first few months his link up play with Rooney, general level of play and work ethic was much improved. Whether the sudden slump was due to the rise of Hernandez, I don't know. But if he can reproduce that this season and sustain it he'll be a good addition to the squad and less of a bit part player as we've seen of late.

Side-note Macheda is also back, what lies in his future? I hear he was disappointing along with the rest of the team at Sampdoria. Just 1 goal in 16 appearances.
Reply 44
Berbatov is on his last legs (31). He has fulfilled his role for the club: Top scorer this season, 1 CL final, 2 Premier Leagues etc... However, in my opinion i think he is inconsistent for a player not playing internationally. Back to the point, Welbeck will fit in fine, Anderson/Nani also provide attacking flair, Sneidjer is a well-rounded player (Better version of VDV) and Owen is just a poor decoy, will score a few (i.e Wolfsburg, Wigan, Blackpool).
Reply 45
Original post by ksahnan
Should be, we'll be expecting goals off Young, CAM and Nani apart from the strikers. But I'd like to see him stay, granted he's been horrible against top teams but he was outstanding against Liverpool, and in the first few months his link up play with Rooney, general level of play and work ethic was much improved. Whether the sudden slump was due to the rise of Hernandez, I don't know. But if he can reproduce that this season and sustain it he'll be a good addition to the squad and less of a bit part player as we've seen of late.

Side-note Macheda is also back, what lies in his future? I hear he was disappointing along with the rest of the team at Sampdoria. Just 1 goal in 16 appearances.

Ahhh right i understand what SAF is going to do now, hes going to use young as a shadow striker, now thats clever thinking, sanchez should be priority then, he looks great and apparently he can play that role easily! So its not all bad then, i thought SAF was strictly going to keep young nani valencia down the wings and rooney javier upfront which lead me to beleive theres no backup? but hearing this, good plan! Looking forward to the season now, just a central midfielder and were good to go! :smile:

Really? 1 in 16?!
Reply 46
Original post by forex
Berbatov is on his last legs (31). He has fulfilled his role for the club: Top scorer this season, 1 CL final, 2 Premier Leagues etc... However, in my opinion i think he is inconsistent for a player not playing internationally. Back to the point, Welbeck will fit in fine, Anderson/Nani also provide attacking flair, Sneidjer is a well-rounded player (Better version of VDV) and Owen is just a poor decoy, will score a few (i.e Wolfsburg, Wigan, Blackpool).

Thats why we should cash in on berbatov before he becomes a free agent next season! hes very slow aswel, bad for fast countering which we do quite often!

I still think welbeck needs another season with someone like sunderland :smile:
Reply 47
Original post by KumailN
Ahhh right i understand what SAF is going to do now, hes going to use young as a shadow striker, now thats clever thinking, sanchez should be priority then, he looks great and apparently he can play that role easily! So its not all bad then, i thought SAF was strictly going to keep young nani valencia down the wings and rooney javier upfront which lead me to beleive theres no backup? but hearing this, good plan! Looking forward to the season now, just a central midfielder and were good to go! :smile:

Really? 1 in 16?!

Yup 1 in 16, don't know what they thought he'd achieve at Sampdoria. I remember when I read the news :facepalm: he should've done what Welbeck, Cleverley, Sturridge, etc. did and go to teams in the prem or championship so that he could develop into a player suited to the PL. Nevertheless he's still 20 I think, maybe he goes on a short loan he's certainly not good enough to be fighting the likes of Cleverley or Welbeck for fighting for a place on the bench...

I think we may use a barcaesque approach, with these new additions. what would you say to this-

De Gea
Fabio Ferdinand Vidic Evra
Jones/Carrick/Fletcher
Giggs
Valencia Rooney Young
Hernandez

Subs- Amos, Smalling, 2 of Jones/Fletcher/Carrick , Welbeck, Anderson
Reply 48
Fabio really grew into the RB role at the end of the season so I don't see why Rafael should take his place. The former I think doesn't have the tendency as much as Rafael to jump in and be hasty in his tackles and he's good in supporting whoever is playing on the right aswell.

I'm not sure what type of DM Jones is as I haven't seen him play in the position. Based on his stature, he seems to be a strong, "wall" type of DM, using his physical presence to stop attacks etc. I think the squad we have, especially for away games (where we struggled last season), that the variety in the squad could help us overcome the away form issues we had last season but it's important that we start winning away from home asap as that will help erase the mental away scars from last season.
Reply 49
Subscribing like a boss.
Subscribing ftw
Reply 53
Diego Forlan cautious over David de Gea move to Man Utd

Had a read and I agree, I rate him highly but keepers tend to strive on confidence and play their best when their comfortable in their environment. Reckon he could flop? Who else could we go for, just considering the slight possibility that it falls through?
Original post by ksahnan
Diego Forlan cautious over David de Gea move to Man Utd

Had a read and I agree, I rate him highly but keepers tend to strive on confidence and play their best when their comfortable in their environment. Reckon he could flop? Who else could we go for, just considering the slight possibility that it falls through?

It won't. Fergie sees him as the natural successor. In Fergie we trust
Reply 55
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
It won't. Fergie sees him as the natural successor. In Fergie we trust

Always trust Fergie.
Original post by ksahnan
Always trust Fergie.

Exactly. :smile:
Views on Sanchez and Young? I personally wouldnt mind both, but then either nani or valencia would have to be shipped out, which i don't think either should, because they've played well this season.

What do you guys think of Utd signing two wingers this transfer window?
Original post by Chicharito14
Views on Sanchez and Young? I personally wouldnt mind both, but then either nani or valencia would have to be shipped out, which i don't think either should, because they've played well this season.

What do you guys think of Utd signing two wingers this transfer window?

I wouldn't mind Sanchez at all. He has bags of potential and could be the next Ronaldo. He can play as an attacking midfielder too.
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
I wouldn't mind Sanchez at all. He has bags of potential and could be the next Ronaldo. He can play as an attacking midfielder too.

Yeah this is what i was thinking, he is a far more tricky player than valencia. But having said that, Valencia is a more powerful, direct winger, and he seems to get the job done most of the time by attacking and defending.

Nani better not go lol, after the season he has had, and £25m LOL don't make me laugh. If Edin Dzeko and Torres are worth £25m? and £50m, then Nani is worth at least £40m if you're looking at the season he has had.

Tbh i would rather get one or the other. Young is proven in the PL, Sanchez isnt, yet Sanchez has more potential. Flipside is that Sanchez could be another Robinho/Tevez, where he doesnt fit in lol.

Fergie will surely come to his senses and sign who he thinks best!

Latest