The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Da_hopeful_1
Is there a better Centre back in Europe under the age of 25 than Jonny Evans right now? I guess Vertonghen and Hummels would be a good comparison but i haven't seen them enough to know who's the better player at the moment.

Hummels and Subotic as well as Badstuber and Boateng have only conceded 17/18 goals in 27 league games and they´re all 23.

Of course that doesn´t mean their better, and one CB is often better than his teammate but they´re not that far apart.
Reply 9721
People seem to have convieniently short memories, people forgetting how we were robbed against Newcastle earlier in the season. No one said the league is corrupt back then. Everything is anti-united. This decision balances out the wrong decision against Newcastle so everything is fair enough now.
Is there a better Centre back in Europe under the age of 25 than Jonny Evans right now? I guess Vertonghen and Hummels would be a good comparison but i haven't seen them enough to know who's the better player at the moment.

Pique, Ramos and Kompany are all 25 and without doubt are better centre backs then him but yes he really has kicked on since Sir Alex put faith into him. Although I do think a lot of it is down to luck(strikers panic when they approach our back four:confused:), and playing along Rio and behind Carrick always is going to help. One of my only concerns about him is his lack of pace, he is soo slow and the only reason that is covered up is because of the way we play, whenever there is a one and one race he loses. I don't think he is good enough to replace Ramos for Madrid, Hummels for Dortmund or Kompany for City. Hope he proves me wrong about his pace.
Original post by moonmonkey812
http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=251731

Hilarious, especially given the pen stoke were denied yesterday :tongue:

Whats even more hilarious is that when anyone says dont be stupid, or even (shock horror) mentions their lucky decisons like barry on saturday, they just get told to **** off, 'we dont want your sort in here' as if its a pre-requisite of being a city fan to be incredibly bitter.
Original post by mdajoka
Even funnier reading RAWKs reaction

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=291519.800

...There will come a point when the FA just decide to do away with the penalty area for the away team at Old Trafford.

You expect the odd decision here and there, but its not even a shock anymore.

I'd have been amazed if it was given...

:rofl:

:rofl2:

Hummels and Vertonghen (although I think, like Vermaelen, he may be a tad overrated because he scores goals) are certainly better from what I've seen. I think the thing with Evans is he has the stigma of about 6 months ago+ still attached to him. His poor play against robust strikers lasted for a long time (more than a year?) so there was a constant stream of criticism, much of it justified but also people going OTT towards the end, the guy just turned 24 in January. Most opposition fans don't watch our matches and a show like MOTD makes it difficult for a defender to truly shine so his improvement has been a bit under the radar, unless you watch our matches week-in-week-out.

Original post by rorydaredking
Whats even more hilarious is that when anyone says dont be stupid, or even (shock horror) mentions their lucky decisons like barry on saturday, they just get told to **** off, 'we dont want your sort in here' as if its a pre-requisite of being a city fan to be incredibly bitter.

Thing is, these people are always set in their line of thinking so it's just better to laugh at them. I love decisions like this going for us, it's hilarious watching the implosion.

Happens in there all the time, its such a terrible forum. I know Redcafe has its fair share of delusion but i swear its nowhere near the likes of Rawk and lot of the time Bluemoon.

Was an Opta stats thing about United conceding the most penalties or something. Someone put it into the thread where they were talking about the PL being corrupt and crap and people were, as you say, literally just telling him to **** off lol. Its hilarious.
Original post by moonmonkey812
http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=251731

Hilarious, especially given the pen stoke were denied yesterday :tongue:

Soo bitter, suppose they forgot all about Barrys incident :rolleyes:

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Mastermind`
:rofl2:

Hummels and Vertonghen (although I think, like Vermaelen, he may be a tad overrated because he scores goals) are certainly better from what I've seen. I think the thing with Evans is he has the stigma of about 6 months ago+ still attached to him. His poor play against robust strikers lasted for a long time (more than a year?) so there was a constant stream of criticism, much of it justified but also people going OTT towards the end, the guy just turned 24 in January. Most opposition fans don't watch our matches and a show like MOTD makes it difficult for a defender to truly shine so his improvement has been a bit under the radar, unless you watch our matches week-in-week-out.

Thing is, these people are always set in their line of thinking so it's just better to laugh at them. I love decisions like this going for us, it's hilarious watching the implosion.

While this is true, it's also skewed a tad. He has played more games this season than any other he's had at Utd, and this is his longest run in the team. His appearances in that year or so were not together in a run, and you've said he's only turned 24. Rio wasn't any better at the same age and made similar mistakes. Playing centre back is all about experience - look at Kos' improvement at Arsenal.

Anyways, Jonny :suith:
Reply 9728
Original post by Tommyjw
Happens in there all the time, its such a terrible forum. I know Redcafe has its fair share of delusion but i swear its nowhere near the likes of Rawk and lot of the time Bluemoon.

Was an Opta stats thing about United conceding the most penalties or something. Someone put it into the thread where they were talking about the PL being corrupt and crap and people were, as you say, literally just telling him to **** off lol. Its hilarious.

Saw that as well. You should really post it here :lol:
Knew i liked Rafaels play for a reason.

Spoiler

Need to put this app on android, i want it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
Knew i liked Rafaels play for a reason.

Spoiler

Need to put this app on android, i want it.

Totalfootball app?
I aske dthem on twitter ages ago and they said they were working on it.
Its a pretty decent app. Its free but then you have to pay £1.49 for the PL stats and the same for CL. Its really good now that the Guardian has stopped their chalkboard service. I wish they had it on the MacApp store, a bigger screen would be great.
Totalfootball app?
I aske dthem on twitter ages ago and they said they were working on it.

Good times.
Think i saw it before about them developing it, just want them to hurry up. Its the exact reason i go hunting around Redcafe and such for stats after matches

I like this btw, the PL table had it started January 1st :colone:

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw

I don't know why RAWK and Bluemoon don't filter their users like Redcafe does through the newbie system (must obviously care about hits), I think that's why there are less nutcases on Redcafe.

Original post by Kevmeister
While this is true, it's also skewed a tad. He has played more games this season than any other he's had at Utd, and this is his longest run in the team. His appearances in that year or so were not together in a run, and you've said he's only turned 24. Rio wasn't any better at the same age and made similar mistakes. Playing centre back is all about experience - look at Kos' improvement at Arsenal.

Anyways, Jonny :suith:

I'd say around the start of the previous season to around November-ish, Evans was struggling but, yeah, pre-season and other stuff you mention skews it. I think Rio was levels above at the same age, some strikers were saying he was among the toughest opponents they've faced. He showed an elite level of defending, after the 2002 WC many were saying he was one of the best CBs in the world (hence us going after him). I think, like DDG, Evans has benefited from the injuries we've had as it's given him that extended run in the team and that is what some players need. Small clubs like Arsenal (:teeth:) can afford to give players extended runs in the team but it comes at a cost, in the short-term at least.
Liverpool in the relegation zone!:lol: King Kenny the saviour!
Reserves win 4-1 away to Everton.
Original post by Tommyjw
Reserves win 4-1 away to Everton.

We're now on course to become the first team ever to win the Premier League and Premier Reserve League in the same season. :biggrin:

United, United, top of the league...s!
Forgot to say earlier, but fulham, what a load of **** supporters. Did **** all all game, and rbought the record lowest number of away fans in the premier league (not sure if thats all teams or to united) with 350. Utterly ridiculous
Reply 9738
Forgot to say earlier, but fulham, what a load of **** supporters. Did **** all all game, and rbought the record lowest number of away fans in the premier league (not sure if thats all teams or to united) with 350. Utterly ridiculous

Going on about "the best supporters" is extremely small time. It's something that fans of loser clubs do to make themselves feel better. If you travel 300 miles and watch your team get spanked - "singing your hearts out" or "making loads of noise" is just an embarrassment to yourselves.

Think earlier in the season - when Man Utd got spanked by Citeh - doing loads of singing and making loads of noise is going to do what? The City fans would just be laughing at you.
Original post by IanDangerously
We're now on course to become the first team ever to win the Premier League and Premier Reserve League in the same season. :biggrin:

United, United, top of the league...s!

Quite surprised we havent done it before. Or someone else.

Latest