The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

When SAF eventually retires, its all going downhill for MUFC...

This is based on the assumption that you don't hire Jose or Pep.
Mancini can't seem to decide whether he feels we'll win or drop more points.

Before the game against Spurs: "United will beat Spurs"

Yesterday: "United will drop points"

Tbf to him, his English isn't as fluent as it possibly should so that's why maybe his "mind-games" attempt is a little lame. It's not really having any effects besides making him look like an idiot. He'd be better off doing what SAF does, just publicly say that to focus on your own things than others.

Liverpool crumbling today just means I'm hoping 3pts tomorrow will seal a perfect footballing weekend.
Original post by TheInvincibles14
Did you know that Podolski snubbed United for Arsenal? Sneaky SAF still trying to get one over Arsene.

Suprised you haven't gone for Huntelaar yet. Apparently he's got a £16.8m release clause. He would be the perfect replacement for both Berbatov and Owen.

Rooney/Huntelaar/Welbeck/Hernandez :coma:

not arsed about either. Huntelaar is so overrated it's not even funny, Podolski erm...
Original post by Busby_Babe
not arsed about either. Huntelaar is so overrated it's not even funny, Podolski erm...

WTF? How in any way is Huntelaar overrated? Anywhere he has been, he has always scored goals - even with limited playing time (e.g. Madrid)

31 goals in 50 caps for Holland. Enough said.
Original post by Newbie123
WTF? How in any way is Huntelaar overrated? Anywhere he has been, he has always scored goals - even with limited playing time (e.g. Madrid)

31 goals in 50 caps for Holland. Enough said.

You can be a good player and be overrated. How much is he going to cost? Why would we spend that much on a striker when we have excellent options already, this isn't football manager.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Busby_Babe
You can be a good player and be overrated

Yes, that's completely true, but Huntelaar isn't one of them.

You ask a casual fan of the Premier League what Huntelaar's first name is and they'll have no idea who you're on about.
Reply 9886
Was just reminiscing about the Ronaldo years .. he got 2 assists and 3 goals yesterday for Madrid. I always thought that he was better as a winger - I think United have really missed him, could always rely on good old Ronnie to get a goal when the team wasn't playing too well. Do you think he'll get a good reception when United meet Madrid in Europe? Surely he must? He's the best player I have ever seen play for United.
Original post by pgreg1
Was just reminiscing about the Ronaldo years .. he got 2 assists and 3 goals yesterday for Madrid. I always thought that he was better as a winger - I think United have really missed him, could always rely on good old Ronnie to get a goal when the team wasn't playing too well. Do you think he'll get a good reception when United meet Madrid in Europe? Surely he must? He's the best player I have ever seen play for United.

WTF, of course Ronaldo will get a good reception.

Any United fan that boos Ronaldo is a moron.
Dont need to be buying a striker really
With berba going and owen being owen I think we could do with another striker.
As a hypothetical, how would people react to a straight swap between Rooney and Ronaldo?
Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez & , i imagine, Owen. + Will Keane for future. 5 strikers isnt a low amount. In a world where all is good we could get someone else but id still pick a CM first then a LB second above getting a striker.
Interesting article with stats regarding penalties here.
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
As a hypothetical, how would people react to a straight swap between Rooney and Ronaldo?

I'm really not too sure if I'm honest. I would like to see Rooney become our highest ever goal scorer but I rate Ronaldo higher.
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun

Pick Rooney over anyone.

Cant explain it really. Just.. like having such a talented driven English player, destined to break our goal records, as the front of our club. Pick that over what else would seem a new, 'mercenary type' player any day, no matter who it is.
Original post by Tommyjw
Pick Rooney over anyone.

Cant explain it really. Just.. like having such a talented driven English player, destined to break our goal records, as the front of our club. Pick that over what else would seem a new, 'mercenary type' player any day, no matter who it is.

To be fair, although we don't actually know all the background behind it, when Rooney was stating how he wants Utd to buy new players and then got a new mega pounds deal was almost mercenary-esque?
Original post by Tommyjw
Pick Rooney over anyone.

Lol, you can't be serious?

I get the whole "we want home-grown talent" thing, but Ronaldo is Ronaldo. We're talking about a guy who will be talked about along with Messi, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff etc. as the best of the best.
Reply 9897
Squeaky bum time :smile:
Original post by Newbie123
Lol, you can't be serious?

Yes i can be?
Id welcome Ronaldo into our club, i just dont want to replace Rooney with him. You have your opinions, i have mine.

Original post by SirMasterKey
To be fair, although we don't actually know all the background behind it, when Rooney was stating how he wants Utd to buy new players and then got a new mega pounds deal was almost mercenary-esque?

Not so much the money type mercenary idea i meant, i guess i worded it strange. Just meant i rate having Rooney over having high-priced foreign players just to slightly boost our quality. Not everything in football, to me atleast, is sacrificing everything in order to have the best quality available no matter how much the it changes the identity of a club.
Original post by Tommyjw
Yes i can be?
Id welcome Ronaldo into our club, i just dont want to replace Rooney with him. You have your opinions, i have mine.

I'd get it if you said you'd rather have Rooney than Van Persie or whoever, but Ronaldo is, along with Messi, on a different level of excellence.

If you cared about your club's success, surely you'd rather have Ronaldo? It's not like Rooney is Manchester through and through, anyway.

Latest