The Student Room Group
Original post by Newbie123
I'd get it if you said you'd rather have Rooney than Van Persie or whoever, but Ronaldo is, along with Messi, on a different level of excellence.

If you cared about your club's success, surely you'd rather have Ronaldo? It's not like Rooney is Manchester through and through, anyway.

We've been fairly successful since Ronaldo left, no?

Original post by Tommyjw

Not so much the money type mercenary idea i meant, i guess i worded it strange. Just meant i rate having Rooney over having high-priced foreign players just to slightly boost our quality. Not everything in football, to me atleast, is sacrificing everything in order to have the best quality available no matter how much the it changes the identity of a club.

But of course, would hate to see us be like City, sure we'd have a bottomless pit of money but then how does one get the team to gel like United do at the moment?
(edited 12 years ago)

If you cared about your club's success, surely you'd rather have Ronaldo? It's not like Rooney is Manchester through and through, anyway.

The clubs success is just fine. Its not as if we are Wigan and get offered Ronaldo.

And not everything is about complete and utter success with whatever foreign quality we can get, we arent City. There comes a line where as a club we want to keep players who will break records and be a talisman for the club, and being English is a benefit. Showing some kind of longevity, respect and such for our players rather than , hypothetically, replacing players every few years with whoever the new hot topic is.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez & , i imagine, Owen. + Will Keane for future. 5 strikers isnt a low amount. In a world where all is good we could get someone else but id still pick a CM first then a LB second above getting a striker.

I don't think Owen can be relied upon with his injuries though. Is Keane ready for the first team? If not that essentially leaves us with three strikers which isn't enough.
I'd get it if you said you'd rather have Rooney than Van Persie or whoever, but Ronaldo is, along with Messi, on a different level of excellence.

Actually, he is in a way. English passion, a drive to win and not to mention a shared hatred of the Scousers :colone:
Reply 9904
We don't need a striker, Welbeck and Hernandez are capable of leading the line and then we can always push Rooney up. We only play with 1 striker most games anyway, replacing Rooney with Giggs would cause less disruption to our system than replacing him with Hernandez, our transfer targets should match accordingly.

We do need someone else capable of effective distribution in the final third, currently it's only Rooney so we need cover for him. Either a playmaker in the Modric mould or a wide player in the Silva mould. Thing is I imagine that if Scholes stays on our central midfield will be pretty much untouched over the summer, it'll be a season of seeing if Cleverley, Anderson and maybe Pogba have what it takes while Giggs and Scholes fill in when they can. A bit like what this season was meant to be, then. I'd be quite happy to see someone come in for Anderson if it meant we're forced into movement in midfield.

Focussing on midfield because with the 3 wingers we've currently got it's difficult to see space for another senior wide player.

Calling it from this far off I think we'll have a fairly quiet summer. Obviously events between now and the end of the season, or someone suddenly becoming available, could change things though.
Original post by DaveSmith99
I don't think Owen can be relied upon with his injuries though. Is Keane ready for the first team? If not that essentially leaves us with three strikers which isn't enough.

Dont think hes real first team material but see no issue giving him a few games, i imagine he will.

Maybe im a bit optimistic about Owen, i just like the guy and still think he can do well for us, but he does seem prone to injuries, though well only be able to tell from hindsight later on if that was still an issue or not and we have had no problems with strikers this year but tbh i do accept that this has had a huge contribution from our comparability lack of games from CL and cups.

I too see us shifting off more than we bring in. Our midfield could potentially be quite packed if we dont get rid of anyone and even though we still have the quality to top PL with it, just dont see it as a real challenge for a CL fight, which is why i want a big CM signing with the likes of many names already mentioned :colone:
(edited 12 years ago)
Don't forget, hopefully we'll have Fletch back by next season which will feel like a new signing
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
Don't forget, hopefully we'll have Fletch back by next season which will feel like a new signing

If that does materialize, it'll take the lad quite some time to build up fitness and match fitness and then form. So we're looking at a lengthy period of time until Fletch is back to his best or thereabouts.

Do hope we comfortably beat Blackburn tomorrow and keep on closing that goal difference gap with City at the same time. Looks like it could be a tricky match to negotiate.

As for Lolerpool, I'm seriously loving how crap they are now. Average manager, average players, laughing stock. Get the **** in.
Original post by Aky786UK
Mancini can't seem to decide whether he feels we'll win or drop more points.

Before the game against Spurs: "United will beat Spurs"

Yesterday: "United will drop points"

Tbf to him, his English isn't as fluent as it possibly should so that's why maybe his "mind-games" attempt is a little lame. It's not really having any effects besides making him look like an idiot. He'd be better off doing what SAF does, just publicly say that to focus on your own things than others.

Liverpool crumbling today just means I'm hoping 3pts tomorrow will seal a perfect footballing weekend.

He was obviously trying to heap pressure on United by saying that United will beat Spurs.

As for yesterday, Mancini probably wasn't playing any mind-games and stating what probably will happen - that United will drop points before the end of the season, as I'm sure will City.
Reply 9909
Original post by Louis.
We do need someone else capable of effective distribution in the final third, currently it's only Rooney so we need cover for him. Either a playmaker in the Modric mould or a wide player in the Silva mould.

Exactly.

Remember when Valencia turned down United's offer after Euro 08 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/7556794.stm) Fergie should have got him then ... Silva/Ronaldo/Rooney/Tevez, would have been amazing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Lads, have you got any book recommendations??

I've read quite a few United autobiographies and biographies over the years and some generic football books, most recently 'Why England lose and other curious phenomena' which I thought was a bit dull and for stattos to whack off over. Not for me.

Any recommendations?? I need a good hearty football book to read, it can be a United-based book or a general football book...

Already read: Scholes, G.Nev, Becks, Giggs, Schmikes, Cantona, Charlton, Ferguson, Stam, Rooney, probably a few others too.
Original post by Welsh Leprecaun
As a hypothetical, how would people react to a straight swap between Rooney and Ronaldo?

Hmmmm difficult one. With Rooney in the team, I feel confident that we'll win games or not drop points (not necessarily the big games, but the Bolton aways, Stoke aways) - even when Ronaldo was here, our loss % with Rooney in the team was much less than without IIRC (doesn't just come down to mere stats, but I noticed it visually when watching games, too). It's hard to accuse Rooney of not giving his all on the pitch, with Ronaldo you could have at times.

Ronaldo improved on his team-play (tracking back and getting stuck in, the stuff we all love) during his time at OT but he had his moments. Exhibit A: 2009 CL final, loses the ball, hands on waist with a disgusted look on his face, Barcelona go on to score a goal. I also like that when we get a winner now it's not always one person (or mostly one person), can be Hernandez, Welbeck, Rooney, Valencia, Young, Giggs, etc. Does that make us more of a team? Depends on how you look at it. But, at the same time, perhaps we miss some of his magic. For example, when we drew 2-2 at home to Porto in the CL and then we had to go to Porto and win (I think they hadn't lost at home for a long time) and he scored that long-ranger which decided it.

Of course Ronaldo is the better player, a genuine great and as Louis. said a few weeks ago...before games you'd have that excitement that he was going to do something truly special, but his heart wasn't here. Some would say Rooney's heart isn't here either after what he did, but he's a grafter once he crosses the white line and on his supernatural days (like the early season performances) gives me as much pleasure as Ronaldo did. Rooney will be here for the forseeable future, to see out his peak at least, I reckon. He's too thick to have to move to Spain and Italy and learn a new language!
I shall pray to the gods that tomorrow we win. I shall ppray harder to the gods that City continue to crumble and they give us the guard of honour at the derby :adore:
Original post by Mastermind`
Hmmmm difficult one. With Rooney in the team, I feel confident that we'll win games or not drop points (not necessarily the big games, but the Bolton aways, Stoke aways) - even when Ronaldo was here, our loss % with Rooney in the team was much less than without IIRC (doesn't just come down to mere stats, but I noticed it visually when watching games, too). It's hard to accuse Rooney of not giving his all on the pitch, with Ronaldo you could have at times.

Ronaldo improved on his team-play (tracking back and getting stuck in, the stuff we all love) during his time at OT but he had his moments. Exhibit A: 2009 CL final, loses the ball, hands on waist with a disgusted look on his face, Barcelona go on to score a goal. I also like that when we get a winner now it's not always one person (or mostly one person), can be Hernandez, Welbeck, Rooney, Valencia, Young, Giggs, etc. Does that make us more of a team? Depends on how you look at it. But, at the same time, perhaps we miss some of his magic. For example, when we drew 2-2 at home to Porto in the CL and then we had to go to Porto and win (I think they hadn't lost at home for a long time) and he scored that long-ranger which decided it.

Of course Ronaldo is the better player, a genuine great and as Louis. said a few weeks ago...before games you'd have that excitement that he was going to do something truly special, but his heart wasn't here. Some would say Rooney's heart isn't here either after what he did, but he's a grafter once he crosses the white line and on his supernatural days (like the early season performances) gives me as much pleasure as Ronaldo did. Rooney will be here for the forseeable future, to see out his peak at least, I reckon. He's too thick to have to move to Spain and Italy and learn a new language!

Capello moved to England, spent a few years here, and his grasp of English was woeful. Rooney couldn't do much worse when trying to learn a new language!

It would be interesting if Ronaldo did ever come back to United. I suppose it isn't such a bad thing that Ronaldo seemed to leave us on good terms - it all seemed and sounded quite amicable, so a return some point in the future certainly isn't out of the question.
Original post by Tommyjw
I shall pray to the gods that tomorrow we win. I shall ppray harder to the gods that City continue to crumble and they give us the guard of honour at the derby :adore:

Obviously I'd prefer such a guard of honour to be featuring the likes of Dalglish, Carragher, Gerrard and Suarez. That would be incredibly arousing.

Blackburn seemed safe-ish a week ago, now because of consecutive wins strung together by Wigan and Bolton, they've been dragged back into a relegation dogfight - they may either be even more fired up for the game tomorrow or the anxiety will get to Blackburn and they'll crumble a little. Although it's not a game they're going to expect too many points, if any, from, so they could just go for it and play with freedom.
Original post by white_haired_wizard

I've read quite a few United autobiographies and biographies over the years and some generic football books, most recently 'Why England lose and other curious phenomena' which I thought was a bit dull and for stattos to whack off over. Not for me.

Any recommendations?? I need a good hearty football book to read, it can be a United-based book or a general football book...

Already read: Scholes, G.Nev, Becks, Giggs, Schmikes, Cantona, Charlton, Ferguson, Stam, Rooney, probably a few others too.

If you have any interest in Brazilian football whatsoever then this is brilliant http://www.amazon.co.uk/Futebol-The-Brazilian-Way-Life/dp/0747561796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333313807&sr=8-1
Original post by internetstephen
If you have any interest in Brazilian football whatsoever then this is brilliant http://www.amazon.co.uk/Futebol-The-Brazilian-Way-Life/dp/0747561796/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333313807&sr=8-1

Read that book a few years ago and got it on my bookshelf. May re-read it actually as I read it quite some time ago.

I just can't bring myself to read the biographies and autobiographies of quite a few non-United players, e.g. those of twatty Liverpool and Arsenal players, past and present.
Capello moved to England, spent a few years here, and his grasp of English was woeful. Rooney couldn't do much worse when trying to learn a new language!

It would be interesting if Ronaldo did ever come back to United. I suppose it isn't such a bad thing that Ronaldo seemed to leave us on good terms - it all seemed and sounded quite amicable, so a return some point in the future certainly isn't out of the question.

I really doubt he would want to give up the madrid lifestyle to come back to rainy manchester. City would offer him twice the wages that we would and the main reason still speaks so fondly of United is Fergie, whos not going to be around forever.

Andy Cole has a book, from just after the treble.

There's a book called The Lost Babes which is a good, eye-opening read.
Do people think that if Spurs do finish 5th and Redknapp becomes England manager that there might be an exodus from Spurs?

As much as I'd love to see Bale and Modric play for us, I just can't see it happening really.

Latest